School me on the World of Tires

98roamer

Explorer
Wow, tire prices have gone up really high and I'm talking about what I thought were easy pretty standard tires. I haven't bought tires for the 4Runner in several years, but this summer I was quoted $150ea installed for the Firestone Destinations AT 265/75r16 P for the wife's 4runner. It's a direct replacement for current tire, we're both happy with considering our camping choices. I thought that $150 was high but NOW, $180 same place Bob Summerel (a friend of mine) and none in stock.
I've looked at the Toyo AT would be my second choice, Nitto third, BFG AT KO, all more $$$.
Does the fall/winter run on tires jack up the price that much or is oil pushing the prices this fast?
Now I'm thinking about the new BFG Rugged Terrains but it seems tires in that short of supply right now, good luck with the new models.

I know the size with 4ply limits me but wow, I feel pretty silly right now for not getting them this summer.

Also, my friend tried to explain about an increase in tariffs due to Chinese tires and how that increased all of them across the board but I was still in sticker shock at that time.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
When oil prices are up, tire prices are too. I'm sure the Chinese market doesn't help either. At this years SEMA Show, I couldn't believe how many Chinese, Korean, ect tire manufacturers were there. Most of them I had never heard of! Check out onlinetires.com for some good pricing on tires.

keezer37

Explorer
I paid $182 ea. for Bridgestone A/T Revo IIs in Dec '09.

I will say this, I'm done with Firestone installing. First two places blew me off, the third finally did the work. Dude had an attitude though. Guess he didn't like me watching him work on my truck, humph! Kept giving me the look. Went at um with an impact wrench too. I hate impact wrenches. So crude.

For now on I'm buying on line and going to Walmart for the install. I went there for a balance last year. Guy torqued them, gave the torque wrench to another, he checked the torque. First guy took it around the lot, came back in and checked the torque again. Hoo-rah Walmart.

98roamer

Explorer
Cooper tires are made in Ohio, you should look at their AT3

I pushed my Bob Summerel guy a couple of times about this exact tire, availability is low. I think I've driven past the plant in Dayton a few dozen times. Discount tire direct.com has them for $163ea.

Now, Treadepot has the best price for Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T P-MET P265/75R16 for $136. Right now I can't find a better price than that. I wasn't looking for the Toyo AT but most the reviews are positive.

The Firestone dealer in Loveland here, told me that their prices have gone up 4x this year alone for a total of 35%. He came in at $220ea installed and aligned.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Good to hear from another guy in Ohio.

The BFG AT's are obsolete for Ohio. Still a good sand tire, still a good tire on icy roads. But not as good as newer tires for Ohio.

I really like the Goodyear Silent Armors. Alot better in mud and snow than my BFG ATKO's ever were. But that size you listed is a heavy duty up to 80psi tire. Might have a harsher ride than what a Toyota requires. If you're after more of an aggressive AT tire, the Goodyear Duratracs have been working great in the snow belt as well.

http://www.goodyear.com/tires/wrangler-silentarmor

Expedition Leader
... the Toyo AT would be my second choice, Nitto third ...

Just FYI, these are the same manufacturer and essentially the same tire (in the AT at least). Good tires though for an AT; had a set that lasted nearly forever, aired down well, and gave decent traction off-road for an AT tire.

98roamer

Explorer
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help, Toyo's sale ends today so I went with the 265/75R16 Toyo Open country AT. With the strong majority of our driving on pavement and my wife hauls her clients around, I need a mild good pavement tire. I think this will be a good tire comparing all the reviews. I'll just keep the winter rims for the MT and use them for camping and trips.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Can't go wrong with Toyo; good choice.

Keep that website though. I get my prices from Treadepot and have Discount Tire match them locally. The Depot often has rebates and free shipping that Discount will match too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles