school me on trackers

stevec

Adventurer
This belongs to a friend of mine:

100_0049.jpg

I believe it is for sale.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I do not know a lot about these things, but I can tell you that I have seen them in some of the strangest places, bone stock. Places you would not think a stock vehicle could go. The best was seeing one at 13K feet and four big guys with cowboy hats on get out of the thing. (this was when they only had two door versions)

Wow, that thing was LOW to the ground with those guys in it.

frumpy

Explorer
bumpin this back up as things came up and I got busy. Now looking at these again but a little different than my original plans. I would like to have it on the street and maybe even look at the 4 doors.

I'm thinking 31s with proper armour and lift would be perfect for doing some mild trails and weekend cruising. Also, it would be light enough to flat tow behind a mid sized truck or trailer behind a 1/2 ton if I ever wanted to.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I've got a '95 Sidekick soft top. I've done the necessary tuneup stuff thus far. Looking to possibly nab some 235/75/15 AT tires this weekend, a 2" lift will be next, then a bumper/winch/lights, etc.

I took my 100% stock sidekick on a snow run this January, and it did great in part due to its light weight. I ended up airing down to about 10 lbs., and was able to go places some of the other, heavier rigs needed to get winched.

- Andy

frumpy

Explorer
speaking of winching (and since your from warn), what would be the best sized winch to go on something tracker sized.

A 6,000lbs winch would probably be perfect until you had to pull someone else out. Would it be better to run something like an 8,000lbs (or 10,000lbs I have sitting in my shed) and deal with the extra size/weight or would it be a better idea to just use a smaller winch and snatch block for pulling out heavier vehicles.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I've built several Trackers and Sidekicks over the years. My current 2-door Tracker on 33's is in my avatar, and here's my previous 4-door Sidekick with a 4" OME-based suspension and 30's compared to a stock one:

DSCF0978.jpg

And yes, I 'wheeled the piss out of this thing and never once had a problem.

DSCF0891.jpg

snorkel.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF0746a.jpg

The IFS isn't as bad as these guys are making it out to be. It doesn't have long wheel travel but it rides and drives great, it's simple to upgrade, and has decent strength for the weight and size tire you're going to be running. The Calmini suspension under my current Tracker is okay, but the company sucks. You have other better options now.

I ran a Warn M8000 winch on the 4-door Sidekick, and it's way overkill for a sub-3000lb rig. My current 2-door Tracker has a Warn XD9000i which is even more overkill. :D Get a good winch, because when you're stuck in the boonies and your cheapo Chinese winch is broken or has rusted-out solenoids, you'll regret trying to save a couple hundred bucks by buying a hunk of junk.

frumpy

Explorer
nice rigs, got any pics of your 2 door?

I have a good winch right now, its a titan 10,000lbs. My concern is that its "too overkill" (hold on, does that exist). My main concern is the weight of the actual winch on the front end.

Also, how will these do on the roads in bad weather? I currently am 4wd-less so if we get nailed with a snow storm will these hold their own on the roads (either 20km through town or 25km on the highway with a 90km/h limit). I'm not set on tires but was thinking on TSL's or TSL's on the front and boggers on the back.

I am thinking something along the lines of these

zuspring08001.jpg

100_2957.jpg

Last edited:

shmabs

Explorer
100_8079.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

That was my tracker, i wanted a cheap little wheeler and the tracker/sidekick is a great platform for that. specs were

97 5 speed 16 valve
all four coil springs from an 01 grand vitara 2.5 inch lift
OME struts up front and crown victoiria shocks in the back
loc-rite in the rear
me built skids, and bumper
30in BFG's on stock rims

i was into the whole thing for less than 2500 and it was fuel efficient, fun and surprisingly capable.

they are great little rigs, i really miss mine.

Mike

frumpy

Explorer
nice lookin rig. Did you have enough room for 31s (maybe with some trimming if needed)? Do you have any pics of it flexed out?

shmabs

Explorer
31's

My 30x9.5's rubbed on the frame a bit until i adjusted the stops, 31's would probably do the same. Some minimal trimming and adjusting of the stops would most likely be sufficient. I dont think i have any good pics of it flexed out, i did extend the bumpstops in the rear as well, so any rubbing i had was barely noticable.

Mike

frumpy

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I think the only thing stopping me from running out and buying one right now(aside from money) is deciding if I want to keep a third vehicle as a dedicated wheeling rig or if I want to start building something up that will replace my current daily driver (and allow a lot more funds to go towards it, but be less extreme/dented up)

shmabs

Explorer
third vehicle

Frumpy,

That was almost my exact predicament, i had my daily driver jetta, my wife's a4 (family vehicle) and my tracker (wheeler). The more i wheeled the tracker, the more i wanted to bring my wife and kid with me.
The hunt began for something with 4 doors that could take the whole family with me. I ended up with a mitsubishi montero sport, while it will be heavier, less fuel efficient and probably not quite as capable, it suits our need better as my wife's daily driver and the family weekend warrior. plus we ditched the payment that came with the audi:victory:
I really do miss the tracker, and someday i will have a 4 door track/kick SAS's on 33's. There is something to be said about the small fuel efficient capable 4x4's.......

Mike

frumpy

Explorer
We have our compass (hers) which is financed, my dakota quad cab which is paid for. The nice thing is I could fit her and any future kids in a sidekick/tracker and with the truck I could flat tow to the trails. The dakota is getting up there in miles though but I can't see myself without having a truck and even a mid sized V6 could tow a small wheeler.

The only issue is having the added expenses extra vehicle maintenance and insurance.

Last edited:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
nice lookin rig. Did you have enough room for 31s (maybe with some trimming if needed)? Do you have any pics of it flexed out?

You can see articulation and tire clearance here: no fender trimming.

DSCF0926.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0931.jpg

Note that this was with the front sway bar connected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles