Seal aftermarket window to body...what'd you use?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Just like the title says, I need to seal an aftermarket camper style window with aluminum flange to my steel van body. Some folks talk sikaflex, some talk 3M, some say silicone (don't say silicone)...what'd you use? Where'd you get it? Thanks!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You forgot the option of using Butyl tape / putty... that is what the factory RV builders often use... I did it on my sprinter windows (2) and it has worked fine - no leaks. Can look a little messy if you aren't careful but it does allow removal if needed.

TheBoondocker

I used Butyl tape/putty then I sealed the edge of window flange with ProflexRV sealer Remove window clean window flange and side of van put Butyl tape on flange then reinstall window. Let sit a day or so then remove the Butyl that has come out of between the window and van side. Then put sealer on the top and down the sides of window but not on the bottom edge of window frame. I did mine about 7 yrs ago and still no leaks.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I refuse to use "rv" butyl.
It will ALWAYS create a mess down the road.

I use high grade weatherstrip.

Sticky side down to the window flange.
Compresses and seals against the wall when the trim ring is installed.

chassis214.jpg

chassis216.jpg

Paddy

Adventurer
I use a product called Geocell 4500 that I buy for 7$/ caulk gun tube. It's economical, adhesive, flexible, and does a great job. Comes in black and white. I think it's a butyl type roof I caulk, but much less expensive than the 3m options.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0266354

I've had mixed results with the putty tapes. Some times they seemed to work okay, other times they created a goopy mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior