Second Battery 2012 Tundra double cab trouble

SameGuy

Observer
I've been wanting a second battery to power my ARB fridge since I bought my Tundra. Unfortunately there isn't any space under the hood without relocating the washer fluid and power steering reservoirs which look like more of a PITA than I want to deal with, although that option isn't totally off the table. I was crawling around underneath today and spotted a couple spots that would work but the only mounting option is directly to the underside of the pickup box sheet metal. I haven't had much luck sourcing a box or bracket that mounts underneath and I don't see any place to mount it on a vertical plane (frame rail, etc). What is the collective brain trusts opinion on mounting directly to the bottom of the truck bed? My concern is sheet metal fatigue with such a heavy item mounted in such a small place.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I would move this over to the Toyota forum. You'll most likely get a faster response and can look at build threads for Tundras there.

Cheers,
Jorge

32vsnake

Adventurer
Can't answer your question about mounting under the truck. On my 08 I mounted my second battery in a different fashion since I don't run it full time.

20150906_181629.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have an '08 Tundra CrewMax and have not found a good place to mount a second battery. Best spot so far seems to be inside the right/rear fender, behind the tire with a box bolted to the frame. I have not done anything yet because I'm not real excited about having to fab the box and mounts. Somebody must make a dual battery kit or mount for these trucks, but I have not found it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Easiest solution is a 'backing plate', in the bed, with the battery box suspended under the bed, beneath. The plate will spread the load and prevent any tearout. Make the plate a few inches larger than the footprint of the battery. That ought to hold for anything short of frequent hammering on washboard roads. But it would be better with a support tray welded to the frame rail instead, with some design elements that makes it easier to access or remove the battery when needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior