Second battery?

Exploder
I doubt.that there is enough empty real estate to sneak in a second battery. When your current battery is done, just fit the largest Die Hard Platinum that it can take.

edit: I just saw that you're in SA. You probably don't have a Sears down the street. Can you get Odyssey batteries there?

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I have seen a write-up somewhere of how the module (transmission?) that is installed in from of the master cylinder/ABS unit was moved into the fender area. Then the owner was able to install the second battery just like it was an LR3.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Yes, no doubt that you can.

Call Traxide, tell Tim you are installing into a V8 LR4. He will send you and LR3 kit.

Remove TC ECU from plastic enclosure. Discard plastic enclosure. Move TC ECU under brake piping, attach to horn bracket.

Install kit. Buy group 34 battery, Optima or Odyssey. The Optima is an easier fit.

Bob's your uncle...

I don't have a pic of my odyssey in the engine bay on this phone, but here is what you get to pre-battery. Note the TC ECU under the brake lines, mounted to the horn bracket (horn on backside, barely visible). TC ECU is mounted using some aluminum angle cut as brackets (you can see this as well in the pic). The rest of the "install" is per the Traxide kit instructions.

IMG_0897.jpg

Last edited:

umbertob

Adventurer
I installed an Optima YellowTop D34 with the Traxide kit in that space on my 2013 LR4 V8 petrol, same mod with the TC module as illustrated above. Some photos:

Trax1.jpg Trax2.jpg

Trax3.jpg Trax4.jpg

oradba69

Observer
Wow thanks guys will investigate further. Optima is available in SA. Just dont think my warranty will still be in tact if I move components around.

Friend of ours had a second battery fitted by Land Rover in Durban when he bought his disco - so his warranty still applies- although his is the diesel. www.bushpower.co.za seems to have the best prices for optima's

Dmarchand

Adventurer
You are indeed only moving things, not cutting harnesses, etc. Would be hard pressed for anyone to justify how that would void warranty unless you nicked the harness or something somehow in this process...

Frontier Phreak

Because it has nothing to do with whether or not you have actually done something that might affect the warranty, and everything to do with giving them an excuse to reduce their warranty expense.

However, this does somewhat depend on the dealer. I have found that if you actually pay the dealer to do the modification instead of DIY, they are much less likely to inform the OEM that your modification might have voided the warranty. Funny how that works.

All that being said, the installation of a second battery could actually justify denial of warranty on any and all electronics in the vehicle. The battery controller manufacturer might not necessarily have designed the thing right which can cause all kinds of problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior