second Earthroamer model coming

haven

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago in an RV.net forum, someone posted a note about a visit to Earthroamer's facilities in Colorado. The note was generally complimentary about Earthroamer. One sentence caught my attention:

"They are designing a lower cost smaller camper."

I asked friends to visit Earthroamer, and try to learn more. The company is not providing many details, but did confirm that they are designing a second model. The new vehicle will be smaller than today's Earthroamer, and will be capable of travel over more extreme terrain. The camper will be built for use in four seasons (this is Colorado, after all). Target date for introduction of the new model is early next year

The chassis Earthroamer will use is still a mystery, but the word "jeep" came up a couple of times.

I'm not sure what to make of this last bit of information. I guess one could take a Jeep Commander, remove the interior and add a pop-up roof. And the Commander is getting the new Mercedes V-6 diesel engine in 2007.

The Jeep Gladiator concept is a possibility, but it's not approved for production yet. The new 4-door Jeep Wrangler might work, but it's GVWR is probably too low for the weight of a camper, even a small one.

So that leaves the Dodge Power Wagon, which is quite capable off-road

163_0410_04z+2005_dodge_power_wagon+open_tailgate_rear_view.jpg

Maybe Jeep will sell a version of the Power Wagon next year?

Chip Haven

18seeds

Explorer
I posted that thread on RV.net. I passed Earthroamer on my way to visit Phoenix campers. What a great looking rv.

My guess is that they will build on a dodge CTD. The original earthroamer was a dodge diesel and they moved to Ford probably due to it's GVWR capabilities on the F550 chassis. I'm sure they aren't happy with the Powerstroke 6.0. I don't think they would choose the Powerwagon because you can't get it in diesel. They like to use diesel because one of their key selling points is no propane. Diesel powers the heat and cook top.

The smaller earthroamer will be better for the weekender. I'm mean the current earthroamer is huge and most people don't want that. Also it costs over $200k. The snaller one will be cheaper. Question is how much cheaper. Could they get something that will compete with Sportsmobile. Should be very interesting.

haven

Expedition Leader
maybe a jeep pickup after all

As part of its article describing the new 2007 Jeep Wrangler, www.trucktrend.com speculates that a pickup could easily be built on the stretched chassis used by the 4-door Rubicon Unlimited model. Maybe this is the platform Earthroamer is thinking about using for its second model.

haven

Expedition Leader
jeep gladiator production nixed

So I guess the new, smaller Earthroamer won't be built on the Gladiator show truck. That leaves a 4-door Wrangler with a custom body and frame (expensive) or a Dodge Power Wagon.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94