Securing awning poles while on concrete?

60Dan

Explorer
The last few times I've camped i haven't been able to deploy the awning on my camping trailer as we have been in state parks parked on a slab of concrete!

I have a camping lab awning and the poles have spikes on the end that are designed to go into grass

What does everyone else use when they are camped on concrete?

Thanks

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I've never done this myself, but if I had the problem, what I would do is get a 2X6 or 2X8 plank, cut it into 8" squares and line one side with rubber. This will act as a base for the poles. How you attach the poles is kinda tricky and depends on the size and type of pole used, and how you anchor any guy lines you may use. You can drill a shallow hole in the center of the top side, the side without the rubber, and simply have the pole it in that while the lines hold it down. You just need to be careful of the wind. You can get rubber lining from old rubber truck bed mats or rubber floor mats. The heavier, the better. The rubber will grip the concrete pretty good. so it shouldn't slide around on its own with weight on it. Just attach the rubber with appropriate screws or high strength glue or epoxy.

Now, I have no idea if this would actually work, having never tried it. Its just my creative and simple solution to the problem.

Ramjet

Explorer
Depending on how any poles you have, I use kettlebells. I have a slew of them and use 35 lb and up. Have never had a problem with any winds up to 40 mph.

You can see it in the photo below.

image.jpg

60Dan

Explorer
I've never done this myself, but if I had the problem, what I would do is get a 2X6 or 2X8 plank, cut it into 8" squares and line one side with rubber. This will act as a base for the poles. How you attach the poles is kinda tricky and depends on the size and type of pole used, and how you anchor any guy lines you may use. You can drill a shallow hole in the center of the top side, the side without the rubber, and simply have the pole it in that while the lines hold it down. You just need to be careful of the wind. You can get rubber lining from old rubber truck bed mats or rubber floor mats. The heavier, the better. The rubber will grip the concrete pretty good. so it shouldn't slide around on its own with weight on it. Just attach the rubber with appropriate screws or high strength glue or epoxy.

Now, I have no idea if this would actually work, having never tried it. Its just my creative and simple solution to the problem.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep this idea in mind

Tell me about it!
Back home camping means "go over there and pitch a tent", here in the USA it means "go over there and plug in the RV!" .... So invariably (especially in state parks with the family), you are assigned a patch of concrete.
National forests and public land is different, but it's not always an option

Depending on how any poles you have, I use kettlebells. I have a slew of them and use 35 lb and up. Have never had a problem with any winds up to 40 mph.

You can see it in the photo below.

View attachment 225515

Good idea. Thought about using plastic flower pots with concrete in them
A water bladder of some kind that could be emptied and refilled on site would save carrying the extra weight.
Anyone know if such a contraption exits?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Cinder blocks...

I have had good luck using cinder blocks. They are cheap and they weigh about 30 lbs...it's enough to keep my Shady-boy from kicking up in the wind. When I am out tailgating, this is really helpful. I found some really thin ones that weigh about the same and 1/3 of the width. I painted them orange so people will see them in the parking lot...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

DaveNay

Adventurer
You can find free weights (bar-bell type with the hole in the middle) for cheap at garage sales.

Other types too:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/4440265486.html

00Y0Y_euyHW3oiSwV_600x450.jpg

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
You could install some anchor points on the awning itself (if not already there...see pics), and use a string to pull it down while the poles keeps the awning from coming down... Water bladders would be the best way to do this without having to add any weight to your rig. Any old rock would do the trick to keep things just right...
I replaced the original poles with kelty poles and use them upside down with the spikes up.. the rubber end has great traction on dirt as well. I drilled out the quick release buckle and riveted to the kelty poles..

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles