Securing heavy stuff in the cab - show off your solutions

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
So we've recently purchased a 4WC Hawk + Fullsize truck (build thread coming) and are starting to figure out where to store stuff. For the time being, it seems that at least some of our bulkier camp items may end up getting stored in the truck cab while en-route. I would never consider doing this without securing anything heavier than a cellphone, so I'm looking for all the clever solutions people have for fastening down larger/bulkier items.

Anyone drive with camp chairs, a skottle, etc. in the cab of their truck?

For specifics, we have a Ford Supercab (extended, but not crew-cab). Our kiddo will likely ride on the 40% side of the rear seat, and we'll likely need to retain use of the 60% bench for the occasional 4th passenger - so plate solutions, while cool, may not be in our future.

What ya' got?

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Herbie, my dog rides in the F 150 back seat behind the driver, my ice chest has been strapped in with the seatbelt, anything else that is heavy is on the back floor.

After I figure out how to post pics I'll be back.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
Congrats on the FWC, you'll love it. In 2014 I transitioned from a GMC Safari van to a FWC on a GMC extra cab truck and never looked back.

I removed the rear seats and built a plywood platform to create a flat floor, it is bolted to the floor using the seat mounting bolts. On one side I constructed a box to hold my camp stove, grill, griddle and some other stuff. The box is bolted to the platform. I keep on ice chest on the other side and use a ratchet strap to hold the ice chest in place when travelling on rough roads. I keep a few items secured to the back wall of the cab with bungie cords.

Overall not a pretty set up but it serves my needs.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So we've recently purchased a 4WC Hawk + Fullsize truck (build thread coming) and are starting to figure out where to store stuff. For the time being, it seems that at least some of our bulkier camp items may end up getting stored in the truck cab while en-route. I would never consider doing this without securing anything heavier than a cellphone, so I'm looking for all the clever solutions people have for fastening down larger/bulkier items.

Anyone drive with camp chairs, a skottle, etc. in the cab of their truck?

For specifics, we have a Ford Supercab (extended, but not crew-cab). Our kiddo will likely ride on the 40% side of the rear seat, and we'll likely need to retain use of the 60% bench for the occasional 4th passenger - so plate solutions, while cool, may not be in our future.

What ya' got?

Nice, congrats on the new rig!

I have a crew cab F150 and when I do trips I keep 90% of my stuff in the cab. Usually it is just me on trips so I do not need the rear seats. I have 2 of those black and yellow totes you can get from home depot and they fit perfectly when the long side of the tote is going the same direction as the cab...so perpendicular to the seats maybe? I can find a pic if that does not make sense.

One has recovery gear and tools, one has kitchen stuff and the left over space fits my cooler and campchair then I place my maxtrax on top.

To strap it down I have a few D Rings that I have bolted to normal spots on the seat frames and just use a rathchet strap or 3 depending on what stuff is loose.

The reason I keep everything in the cab is because I have my spare tire in the bed and it's heavy and massive and too large for the under bed spare tire location, and, 90% of my offroad is in the desert and everything just gets too dusty.

I am actually working on some kind of Molle panels that will make strapping everything down much easier because it's kind of a PITA.

If I do go on longer trips where I need to bring a camp table (again usually it's just me in the truck so I use my tailgate) I put some stuff in the bed and strap it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior