Securing Tool Box / Cargo

Spokerider

Guys,
I need to secure an aluminum tool box in the back of my Tracker [ rear seat removed ] ......so in the event of a roll over or an accident, I don't wear it in the back of the head.

It's pretty large.....30" x 16" x 12" and it will be packed with tools and recovery gear, so it will be heavy. I'll be orienting it / mounting it so it's laying down.

Anyone have any imaginative ways of securing this? I weld aluminum, so can add tabs, brackets etc as need.
I would like the tool box to be removable. If removing it did not have to be an option.....I'd just drill 4 holes in it, and 4 corresponding holes in the Tracker bed floor and through-bolt it down. But, getting at those nuts under the vehicle is a major PITA, so it won't be through-bolted down like this.

Yes, I could permanently mount some D rings to the Tracker's bed and use a ratchet strap or two......that'd work ok. Seems a tad hokey tho. I'm hoping someone else has figured out some other attachment method that I have not even thot about......

I could weld a 1/4" thick "male" tab [ say.... 2" x 10" ] of aluminum on the back of the tool box, at the bottom. This "tab" could slip into a female receptacle [ two 1/4" tabs of metal with a 1/4" spacer at each end ] that would be bolted to the Tracker's bed. This "slip-in" method would secure one end of the tool box well. Just need to figure out how secure the other end somehow.

Ideas? Pics?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you can weld, put some captured or welded nuts in a crossmember you add to the frame under the floor and just bolt it in through the bottom of the box. Replace the bolts if you want the holes plugged with the tool box removed. There are also large rivnuts out there, but it feels like that might be too much weight for rivnuts. I use 5 rivnuts at 1/4-20 to secure ammo can holders to my wheelwells and they do really well, but are probably only 20-25 lbs each... and I’ve not rolled over...

Then again, OEMs mount 100+ lb batteries with 2 8mm or 5/16 bolts all the time and they stay in place... so a few small bolts might be sufficient

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For Jeeps; I just use four 1/8 to 1/4 inch bolts through the floor/inside fender for permanent moderately heavy stuff. Footman loops or eye bolts if you cant find ratchet straps with flat hooks (can find the flat hooks sometime at surplus stores) and ratchet straps have always worked fine for cargo.
Since tool boxes are (should be mine is less than/around 40 pounds) small and not particularly heavy; I normally just bolt the ammo can down somewhere under the hood.
For quite light things like first aid kits I usually use Velcro One-wrap and footman loops.
Velcro One-Wrap is used to secure a number of light things to the roll bar(s).
For the Scepter water/fuel can I mount a blitz jerry can older over the rear wheel well and use a cut down ratchet strap for a tie down.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

tatanka48

for a number of years i have been using a product called BEDBOLTS to secure stuff and motorcycles in my trailers

bedbolts.com

a similar product is available @ Tractor Supply in my area

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...lt-anchor-point-866-lb-pack-of-2?cm_vc=-10005

th-4.jpeg th.jpeg th-5.jpeg

they consist of a 5/8" bolt that has been centerbored and tapped to accept a 3/8" forged eye bolt

a 5/8" hole is drilled thru the floor of a trailer or pick up bed(between the higher ribs and the 5/8" bolt is placed thru it and secured w/ a flat a lock & a nut underneath

the portion above the p/u bed floor is shorter than the ribs and allows flat objects to ride on them w/o hindrance

when installed in a plywood trailer floor the head of the bolt pulls itself flush w/ the top of the plywood as the nut underneath is tightened

when the eyebolt is removed a plastic plug (supplied by bedbolts.com) can be inserted in the hole to keep dust from coming thru it

using the 5/8" portion of this product would allow you to weld tabs on the tool box and bolt the box to the floor

hope this confuses the quest sufficiently

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke