Security while sleeping inside vehicle; Backup alarm sensor?

Haraald

Observer
I want an alarm system for my vehicle so when I'm sleeping inside of it I would be notified if someone (or thing) approaches the vehicle. The only way I could think of doing this is to get those backup sensors that beep as something gets progressively closer to the vehicle. No car alarm would work for this because my presence in the vehicle would set it off.

Ideally I don't want to have to buy 12 little sensors, drill 12 holes, and spend a day wiring them all up to my battery bank... are there any single wireless 360 sensor or something that would be easier to deal with?

ripperj

Explorer
Seems like a inexpensive alarm system for a house would work. Just find one with wireless motion sensors. Most are low voltage DC powered anyway because they had battery back up. It might be too effective, I don't know if you can adjust the sensitivity and every squirrel might set it off :)

Sent from my Passport

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Solar/battery motion sensing lights that can be had for cheap and are weatherproof, unlike the wireless interior home motion sensors, would at least give some notice if you were awake and would probably send human problems away but an animal probably wouldn't be affected.

I have seen driveway alarms that have a remote alarm but I think they use an infrared transmitter and target set-up where the beam has to be broken. There are likely different sensors used depending on what style you get. I would Google or Amazon search driveway sensor or front door sensor and see what pops up.

Darrell

eviltwin67

This might be more than you want to spend but it sounds like it will meet your needs but I haven't seen it or know anyone who has one.

Secure your camp site day or night. While you are away know you site is protected from hungry animals, thieves, or any other unwanted guests. Arm the CAMPSAFE when you leave and it will blanket the campsite (400sg.ft.) with a invisible rf signal. Any violation of this perimeter will cause the siren to blast away. Can be heard over a mile away. When night falls arm the campsafe l with one of the remotes after you turn in. Simply disarm it if you need to exit the tent. Set it close to your tent or tents to prevent unwanted visitors while you are sleeping. Any movement which breaks the barrier will sound the siren and light up the night with the hyper strobe. Nothing on the market exists until now that offers you this protection. Self contained portable security system. Move it around the site as needed. Protect yourself from thieves and intruders with steal armors CAMPSAFE alarm. Weights less than 10lbs. Rechargeable battery will last a whole week without charging.Skin CAMPSAFEin an ingloo cooler for additional protection as well as a way to make it invisible from detection.

CAMPSAFE
Features:
· Built-in 120db siren
· On-board Shock Sensor
· 400 sq.ft. Coverage with RF Sensor
· Alarm sounds 30sec and resounds if violation continues
· 12volt recharge able sealed 3.4ah battery
· Master KEY STYLE ON/OFF Switch
· 2) 3 button key fobs
· Mounted additional siren connectors
· Smart Battery Charger
· Weather Resistant Housing
· Flashing LED
· 7 day operate with full charge
· Will operate when covered with non-metallic housing or cover
· SIZE: 12¾ x 5¼ Shipping weight 10lbs
· 1 year replacement warranty
· PRICE $450.00 MSRP
http://www.campingalarms.com/index.html

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Do you have a link to that campsafe product? I can't find anything about it other than what you posted. And it sounds very interesting despite the cost.

Coachgeo

Explorer
wish new where it got passed to but a good 8-10 years ago a fellow had a very plane Jane looking Unimog 416. Looked like a typical troop carrier with Canvas top..... but that was the where the look and the reality swapped. Inside the bed was a bulletproof kevlar camper with a security system including hidden exterior cameras feeding several monitors inside. Also had an electrified cab and bed. If needed he could shock you on your *** if you touched the rig. Fellow was a professional photgrapher that ventured into badlands of Africa and other areas where Pirates where known to be about. Same pirate types are why the Paris Dakar race was moved off that continent.

As to alarms........ where are you going to be? A siren out in middle of nowhere does you no good. Owls, local wolves, etc. that hear your siren aren't going to come to your rescue, nor will they get any reception on their wildlife cell phone when they try to call Ranger Rick. But then again.... it might scare of a jaquire or panther that want to bask in the sun on your hood or scare away a lion that chooses to sit in the shade under your awning.

Last edited:

Haraald

Observer
I only want the alarm to go off if an object is around 6 ft or closer since I do urban stealth camping and don't want passersby on the sidewalk to be alamred... hence motion detectors won't work. The only products sold calibrated for short distances appear to be backup sensors.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I believe backup sensors are only active when backing up and are activated via the reverse switch on the transmission. BTW, what are you so afraid of that you need such a device? And as others have mentioned, simply get a dog, it will provide an alarm and companionship.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Simple, buy an arduino, hook up your <insert any type of sensors here> to the inputs, hook up whatever alert system (lights, sirens, etc) to the output and after a few lines of code your good to go.

He'll you could even have it call or text you if you really want to take it that far!

mtaylor

Observer
This reminds me of the "perimeter security while camping" thread.

Some motion lights outside your truck wouldn't be a bad idea for some comfort, they get to be double useful as a light source when you get up to piss too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier