Seeking input on newer Ford F350's with the 6.2L or 7.3L Gas engines.

jadmt

ignore button user
my buddy has had his new 7.3 for a while now and I asked him yesterday what his mpg has been and he said right at 14mpg.

TGK

my buddy has had his new 7.3 for a while now and I asked him yesterday what his mpg has been and he said right at 14mpg.
I assume that 14mpg is the truck cruising solo without a truck camper or trailer involved?

We did this mental dance about 6-12 months ago. Looking at NL 9-6 sportsman or Hallmark cuchara as our camper choices. We were going with a new truck and probably used camper due to costs. We live in CO and the primary use was to be skiing trips, ice fishing in CO and then longer summer road trips with a family of 5.

Our choice:
2022 F350 CCLB (gotta fit 3 kiddos)
7.3l, 10 SPDR, 3.73 gears
Dual alternators, dual battery, upfitter switches, rear sliding window, remote start, sync 3

While the 3.73 didn't give us the max payload that is available with the 4.30 (11500 vs 11900) we wanted to get a little better MPG and were not super worried about racing up highways or MTN passes.

Camper: Originally wanted a NL for the extra storage space inside and insulation properties but after viewing the NL and a Hallmark Cuchara we settled on the Hallmark. It has less fixed storage but feels more spacious to us due to the lack of fully built up cabinets. With 5 people it is tight in either camper however the Hallmark felt less crowded and we were able to get the over dinette bunk bed.

We have camped 4 weekend trips and a dozen day trips since we put the setup together in November 2021. It is always on the truck which is great. So when we go to the lake for a day of ice fishing there is always a second area to relax if you dont want to be in the fishing tent. When we go skiing this becomes our our lunch area and a place for movies when the kids are tired from skiing. It is a large setup for a truck but fits in most lots and is not a bear to drive around town.

The 7.3 handles the camper with ease. We get about 10mpg in the city and about 13.5 mpg HWY with and average trip mpg of 12.5-13 depending on our conditions. The lower profile of the Hallmark makes a huge difference I believe with winds, both front and side, and is rarely felt. With the intent of hauling a TC as a primary purpose I would go 7.3l and not look back.

When lookin at trucks the markup for lot models was crazy with either new or used. I refused to pay more than MSRP. I happened upon a dealer in Iowa that was doing 2% under invoice.... yes, under invoice. Ordered the truck exactly the way I wanted and saved 4-6k vs local dealer ordering it and probably 15k+ over buying something off the lot.

eyemgh

@grindmonkey Do you have any pics of your set up? When I go the camper route, I thought I’d get a FWC for sure, but well, not really sure any more.

We have a FWC as you can see in the avatar. Our new build will be a Hallmark. I appreciate many things about our FWC, but Hallmark was able to check boxes FWC couldn’t.

At almost 60, and not getting any younger, I much prefer the way the Hallmark roof lifts. You can stand on it when it’s open.

You can sit in the dinette and use the sink and toilet with the top down in the Hallmark.

There is upper cabinetry in the Hallmark

Most important to us, we could get a side dinette with a cassette toilet and an outdoor shower. We didn’t want a front dinette and we didn’t want black or gray tanks.

Hallmark has evolved in how they make their shells over the years. They are now composite and made by the same company that makes the Earthroamer shell.

I don’t have it yet, but there was a lot to like and they are very friendly to deal with.

@grindmonkey Do you have any pics of your set up? When I go the camper route, I thought I’d get a FWC for sure, but well, not really sure any more.

The first is the day I picked it up. We bought it used but it had a new roof and canvas installed within the past year. The previous owner was less than 20 min from Hallmark so I stopped in and they were awesome with making sure I new all the stuff about the camper.

The second is one of our trips into the CO mtns. It gives an idea of the scale with the top down.

Attachments

• 20211119_123422.jpg
    20211119_123422.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220106_080945.jpg
    20220106_080945.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 51
He is another couple shots with pretty good side profile.

You can see that we store the skis, ice fishing sled, and tent under the truck when at camp. I have everything for fishing in 1 sled so that it is easy to slide out from the camper hallway with the tent.

Attachments

• 20211212_080651.jpg
    20211212_080651.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211212_090124.jpg
    20211212_090124.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 34

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Friend has an $80k Tremor with the 7.3L

At 15,000 miles, Ford put a new engine in the truck due to catastrophic failure under warranty
I think they had a few in the beginning that had some defective out of spec parts- but that has been fixed

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
2019 F350 CrewCab 6.2L, 6spd auto, SRW, 4x4, factory 3.73 w/ E-locker, factory 33s.
Currently have an HPI aluminum flatbed(bare), custom ~59gal tank, getting about 14mpg mixed.
Within a week it'll have 4.88s (for future 37s) and Eaton E-locker front.
Hopefully by spring it'll have the ATO AterraXL composite camper. Once 37s are on I'll report back with updated mpg.

Being my 2nd '19 F350 6.2L/6spd, I appreciate the simplicity (vs modern turbodiesel), 6.2L/6spd has been out for awhile and reports here and elsewhere were encouraging. The 7.3L Godzilla looked appealing at the time but I never like buying into the first year of a new vehicle or especially new engine. Also wasn't a fan of the added complexity of 4 extra gears even if it nets smoother shifting/better mpg/acceleration. Trying to keep it K.I.S.S after doing this awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior