Series 100 research

4Beast

Observer
I have read the 100 Series is "underpowered" with no other explanation. Has anyone experienced that as an issue ?
I wouldn't call it underpowered, but there isn't any power to spare. I feel like if I need to put the crop to it it might sort of grumble, but collects itself and gets going well. There are times when I wish it had more power, such as trying to maintain speed in the mountains without one or sometimes two downshifts, but I'm not sure what I or anyone else expect for a three ton behemoth. On most highways it will cruise fully loaded at 80 all day (well, at least 250 miles until I have to fill up again). I expect that the 100 will seem like a rocket ship if you drive it right after a 60 series.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I would say there is a marked difference in “ummph”between my 99 and my 06. The VVTi coupled with the 5speed trans make it a lot better onramp experience than my 99 with the 4 speed.

My 99 is also Built for overland and is knocking on the GVWR with full fuel and pax. So it’s not exactly nimble.

That said, I can literally drive anywhere I want in either as long as it at 13 mpg.

Trestle

I have a 2000 LX version, and prior to that I had a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7L V8. Compared to that the cruiser seems underpowered. It seems like a large V6 vs. a V8. Keep in mind a few things though. It is all wheel drive, or 4WD. There is some loss related to that. It is built for reliability. I remember reading about a 2007 tundra hitting a million miles, and another from overseas that hit the million kilometer mark. Both trucks were taken from the owners by Toyota, and the owner received a new truck in return (with their permission of course). Then there was the teardown, on them and the ensuing marketing from that. I used that for justification to buy the Tundra with around 140k miles. While re-reading the same article later on when researching the 4.7L I realized that the million mile and million kilometer tundras both had the 4.7 in them. My understanding is that the 100 series 4.7l are built to hit a higher reliability spec than the standard versions they put in those million M/KM trucks.

The wheels are built so that they can hit a curb at 45MPH without failing. The ring and pinion in the rear are much larger than the ones in the new, higher output FJs that have recently been discontinued. If you get the Lexus version, there is even another 80 pounds of sound deadening over the Toyota version.

Finally, if you do happen to run the engine in the ground, and get tired of the poor fuel mileage, they might make a great candidate for one of those Cummins re-power swaps. Here is hoping that none of us have to make that choice, but it is out there none the less.

nonuniform

Hi, just jumping on this thread, since I'm looking at 100's and 200's. Trying to figure out if there are specific mechanical options to look for that I'd want offroad. I'm mostly using this on desert trails, not hard core rock crawling, but it does need to crawl in and out of a wash on a regular basis.

My last truck, a 2010 Wrangler, was totaled while parked. :( Looking at Wrangler prices has me going, huh? Since I'm buying used, I'd rather go tried and true with the LC.

CSG

Explorer
Mine's bone stock save for KO2 tires in the 265/75/16 size instead of factory sizing. I live in the high desert with a fair number of rocky trails and the vehicle is far more capable than most might think. The serious off-road guys have long lists of gear you need but I get to where I'm going just fine and without drama. That said, I'm not looking for drama in the back country as I'm almost always alone.

nonuniform

Mine's bone stock save for KO2 tires in the 265/75/16 size instead of factory sizing. I live in the high desert with a fair number of rocky trails and the vehicle is far more capable than most might think. The serious off-road guys have long lists of gear you need but I get to where I'm going just fine and without drama. That said, I'm not looking for drama in the back country as I'm almost always alone.

Yeah, me too. I'm just out exploring, in another era I'd be a prospector with a mule. Yeah, I had an old CJ7 before that, stock all the way with open diffs. Never got stuck. Mostly just cautious too though!

hayde89

Under powered is a silly statement. Go test drive both the new 4runner and Tacoma and then drive a 100 series. You will see that it is adequate for it's needs. If you are concerned by the 5spd. If you are even more concerned buy a 2006 or 2007. I drive my 5spd lx 470 all over the Wasatch front and beyond never have I felt under powered. Still have a concern just make the jump to a 200. We are at a point in time where the newest 100 is around the price of the oldest 200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles