SETO - the DR(D4-7R) Moto

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Started some backside cleanup.

First thing is to remove the large black lower fender.

IMG_1042.jpg

License plate and light will get remounted under the blue fender using this bracket. I found the bracket on ebay, it is not listed any longer but it was sold by "supplanter57."

IMG_1044.jpg

I took everything off the bike, and then realized I wanted to paint the bracket and replace the filament bulb with an LED bulb, so this project was set aside for now.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I had some real fun today. It was time to attach the Pelican case to the rear rack!

This is the general location the case was getting mounted on the rack.

IMG_1057.jpg

Made some marks for where the bolts could go.
IMG_1060.jpg

Exact measurements marked.
IMG_1063.jpg

Double checked. This was the first time drilling out a Pelican case, want to get it right.
IMG_1065.jpg

Check again to make sure no equipment was inside. Good to go.
IMG_1066.jpg

Pilot holes.
IMG_1070.jpg

Full size.
IMG_1076.jpg

SS hardware sorted and ready to go.
IMG_1080.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
cont.

Need to make sure it is sealed.

View attachment 258985

View attachment 258986

Will clean up the squeeze out once it has cured.

IMG_1084.jpg

Underside looks good.

IMG_1086.jpg

Loosely bolted on the bike. The back of the case is flush with the brake light, just what I wanted. This also gives me room for a bag on the rack, between me and the case.

IMG_1089.jpg

Best I can tell this case (1450) will be a good fit on the bike, it is what I had available to use. Looks a little odd at this point, but once the new (GSXR) exhaust is on and the Wolfman side racks are installed it should look correct.
IMG_1090.jpg

Yes, I mounted it backwards on purpose. I can not figure why top cases open at the back? I want to open it from standing at the bike, and this way the dirt is on the back of the case, not where I am opening it. After using it I might understand having it open from the back, but at this point this orientation makes the most sense to me.

IMG_1091.jpg

Future plan for the case is a RotoPax fuel container mounted on the top, the 1 gallon size is a perfect fit on this case. I do not have the rotopax mount yet, so that fun will have to wait for another day.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Ugh, today was a sick day. But that meant that I had a chance to do some research on moto parts.

I went through what I wanted to do with the sprockets and chain. After too much research, seriously I think I dug into this too much, this is what I decided to go with. Good info on the DR650 Wikia page, but I also read a bunch of reviews and on forums.

You might be wondering why I am redoing the driveline. Well, I got bad advice on chain maintenance and in the end I felt better if I just started fresh. And I now have a nice stock of Motorex chain cleaner and oil.

Rear Sprocket:
JT Sprockets 46T steel, JTR822.46
I went with the 46T because I want to lower the gearing a little, and with the 46T I can do either 14T or 15T (and maybe 16T) in the front. The 15T is one step down from stock, the 14T will be two steps down.

Front Sprocket:
JT Sprockets 15T steel, JTF438.15
JT Sprockets 14T steel, JTF438.14
Most likely I will end up using the 15T up front, but I wanted to be able to try the 14T. And if I ever get the urge to do all highway I can put on a 16T. The above 14 and 15 are for the DR800, they fit the DR650 but have a thicker shaft connection area.

Chain:
EK Chain, SRX (X-ring seal), 520, 112 link
So all of this sizing is dependent on changing from a 525 chain to a 520. I hope that was not a mistake?

Other:
The 14T front needs a custom made sprocket retainer. ProCycle makes a nice one, here.

While I am working on the drive line I will also be putting on a counter shaft retainer and case saver chain guard, more nice custom parts by ProCycle.

In the end I spent too much time trying to deicide on what would be the best way to go, so I hope choose right.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Continuing work on the back end of the bike.

Put the LED brake light in. When finished all bulbs on the bike will be LED, wait, can an LED still be called a light bulb?

Ok, so all bulbs will be changed to diodes. Thats better!

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Also mounted the license plate. Still working on modifying the plate light, I want to make it an amber running light that shines on the license plate. EDIT: Just did a little research and it looks like amber running lights on the rear are not good, so I guess it will need to be a red running light. MOTORCYCLE LIGHTING LAWS and forum discussion about amber running lights.

IMG_1097.jpg

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Great bike Nathanel, I had the DRZ400 for years before selling it to another EXPO Member

There is a DRZ Thread over on ADVRider that is hundreds of pages long with everyone posting what they've done to their rigs. It's good to browse through and get ideas

My only thing I disliked about the bike was the seat. It was like sitting on a 2x6 and only comfortable for about 20 miles worth of riding before I'd go numb. Corbin makes a gel seat, but they're pricey. Just depends on how you plan on using it

Overland Hadley

on a journey
D'oh!

Just realized the T63 does not come in the right size for my 17" rear rim, it would be a little smaller than stock. 1.2% overall diameter, that puts the sidewall 3.7% smaller, according to an online tire size calculator. Going with a smaller tire would give me better "offroad" gearing, but I do not need that with my 46t rear sprocket that is on order.

I was hoping to go with the "standard" upsize on the rear of 130/90-17. That is going up 2.8% from stock, and gaining 8.3% of sidewall.

So that is a 4% difference in diameter, 11% difference in sidewall if I went with the T63.

Humph. I was placing my order for the T63 when I noticed they were not available in 130/90, now I am not sure what to do, again.

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
What's your stock size? My bike uses a 130/80-17 and I use the T63.

Pirelli has a 130/90-17 in the MT21. I use a MT21 front and about to put on a MT21 rear. Nice tires.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What's your stock size? My bike uses a 130/80-17 and I use the T63.

Pirelli has a 130/90-17 in the MT21. I use a MT21 front and about to put on a MT21 rear. Nice tires.

Stock is 120/90-17. I think I read that is the same as the KLR?

I read the MT21 can wear rather fast as it is a soft rubber compound, but that would give it good pavement traction.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great bike Nathanel, I had the DRZ400 for years before selling it to another EXPO Member

There is a DRZ Thread over on ADVRider that is hundreds of pages long with everyone posting what they've done to their rigs. It's good to browse through and get ideas

My only thing I disliked about the bike was the seat. It was like sitting on a 2x6 and only comfortable for about 20 miles worth of riding before I'd go numb. Corbin makes a gel seat, but they're pricey. Just depends on how you plan on using it

Thanks Pat!

I think you had the DRZ when you were in Yellowstone? I still blame you and that bike for planting one of the moto seeds in my brain.

The seat on the DR650 is okay, but not great. I am getting a new seat from Seat Concepts, it is taller and I hope more comfortable in general.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Stock is 120/90-17. I think I read that is the same as the KLR?

I read the MT21 can wear rather fast as it is a soft rubber compound, but that would give it good pavement traction.

The Stocker on a KLR is 130/80-17.

I've been running the T63's for a few years on the rear and the MT21 up front. I love this combo. I recently put a T63 on the front and it's pretty decent although I prefer the MT21. I turned my T63 Front around to extend the life on it because it started to cup. I think my tires cup real bad because of the hard city riding I do around San Francisco. Lot's of fast starts and stops on my daily commute across SF to get to work in South SF.

Here are a few real world items for you. The tires in these pictures are - Pirelli MT21 130/90-17 and the T63's are 130/80-17 The MT21 Front is a 90/90-21

Group shot of a New Pirelli MT21 Rear / used Pirelli MT21 Rear between 1600 and 2000 miles with hundreds of off pavement miles (plenty of life left in it) / Michelin T63 Rear with 1580 miles and going strong. hundreds of off pavement miles.

The T63 on my KLR right now has 2160 miles and still going. Maybe a few hundred off pavement (maybe).

Pirelli MT21 Front with 2739 miles, and really cupped. I probably could have gotten more miles by turning it around. It's seen hundreds of miles off pavement.

No real advice, but just sharing my personal experience with these particular tires. Tire debates can be, well, tiring. I think for general use any tire is gonna be fine, and each user is going to get varying mileage out of tires depending on how they ride and the terrain they ride on. Go with your gut and get the tires that "Talk" to you. I chose these based on price and a few reviews on line.

I'm heading to Baja for a week in January and will be running a new set of the Prelli MT21's.

Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Today I was thinking of going craazy and doing a mixed front and rear tire. Like I said, crazy huh.

Thanks for the photos! I will take a closer look at them latter tonight.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
More work on the backend....

Wolfman luggage racks went on! Really happy my girlfriend found these for me at the AeroStich garage sale.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg
(I do not think the sticker will last long on the Pelican case, not very sticky.)

Getting close to moving on to another part of the bike. Last night I ordered some risers to try and get the handlebar where I need them, going to pull that area apart again.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I was trying to look and didnt notice if it had one, but if it doesnt, you might want to add a kick starter?

I know mine didnt have it, and the dealer wanted something like $400 to install it, but after multiple batteries due to just trickle down's killing them off, and not being in a place to be able to roll down a hill and bump start it, that $400 sounded better and better each time I'd be pushing the thing down the road trying to get it going fast enough to bump start it

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was trying to look and didnt notice if it had one, but if it doesnt, you might want to add a kick starter?

I know mine didnt have it, and the dealer wanted something like $400 to install it, but after multiple batteries due to just trickle down's killing them off, and not being in a place to be able to roll down a hill and bump start it, that $400 sounded better and better each time I'd be pushing the thing down the road trying to get it going fast enough to bump start it

Yeah, I wish it had kick start in addition to the electric start. Plus I am hoping to get another year out of the original battery, which seems like pushing it, although it does seem to still be strong.

I am planning on hooking up a voltmeter, and I will be carrying my Antigravity Micro Start, so I should be able to keep it turning over.

But I agree, when I was looking at bikes I kept my eye open for one that had kick start, in addition to electric start. Because an electric starter is so nice when it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz