SETO - the DR(D4-7R) Moto

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Such an awesome bike, and very well thought out, quality upgrades. I just sold my XR250 after 10 years of adventuring and am looking at a DR650 now. It seems like a great do-it-all kind of bike that can do some stretches of highway, as well as tackle some gnarly off-road. Cant wait to see more upgrades on this baby!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Such an awesome bike, and very well thought out, quality upgrades. I just sold my XR250 after 10 years of adventuring and am looking at a DR650 now. It seems like a great do-it-all kind of bike that can do some stretches of highway, as well as tackle some gnarly off-road. Cant wait to see more upgrades on this baby!

Thanks J! I am super excited to get home and finish getting it ready to ride. Still snowing back home, so it will be a little while yet.

Just before I left I was able to purchase a nice Rigid Industries light for the front. That will make moose spotting on the roads much less nerve racking.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Working on the mount for the Rigid Industries light bar. Using the JNS Aux Light mount, Rigid Industies cradle mount, and milling my own spacer/extender to get the E Series bar to fit.

image.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
New muff is on!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Specs: Suzuki 24F0 can with ProCycle mid pipe.

I consider the 24F0 can to be the best for this bike, as it is made to run 650cc through it. (It is from a 1300cc, but there are two cans on the bike.)

I am using the left can, on the right sided DR. Thus I get a clean pipe with all the stamped lettering being on the inside.

Some, maybe most, people do not like how this combination is long and goes right to the back of the bike. Personally I like it.

So it saves 5-7 pounds, has a deeper sound without being louder, does not need to be re-packed, and I think it looks ************. For me a win.

Link to Quote
24F0 Hayabusa, 6#, 3 hole flange: I was very relunctant to exchange my 40F0 for the slightly heavier/longer 24F0, but Jesse highly suggested it, and he was dead on the money. Initially I missed the "thump" at idle that I had became accustomed to, but became more impressed with each run up and down the road, a lot smoother than the 40, more like the stock except much throatier with out the restriction. In the highly unofficial seat-of-the-pants test, there was no comparison; my DR ran like a scalded dog, except for it felt much more refined, if a scalded dog can seem refined. Jesse also included a very trick spark arrestor; never been checked here in Arkansas, but still looks cool as all get out, so that counts for something. In the spirit of full disclosure, the other bikes were running stock headers, whereas mine had the FMF... volume levels were very similar to the 40F0, but a lot smoother.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
New chain is on, getting closer to being able to roll SETO out. Was aiming for Tuesday, but now snow is being forecasted, so hoping for Wednesday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have built a beast!

Finally got to the point where I could take the bike off the lift, and it is huge! I am not sure how much height I gained at the seat, but between the higher seat, the bigger tire, and the spring preload cranked, I think I must have gained something like 4". I can just barely flat foot with my 35" inseam!

Doubting if I will need or want to have the custom rear shock/spring made with added height. I do need a new rear shock/spring as even with spring cranked down as much as possible I still have too much sag. From what I understand the shock is not good at dealing with a stiffer spring, so if you need a stiffer spring you should also replace the shock. I have plenty of time to figure it out, as a new rear shock setup is at least one or two seasons away.

Will put up some photos as soon as the bike is out.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hooked up a few things to the battery. USB outlet for charging phone/GPS, voltmeter to keep track of battery, and quick connection for the battery tender. Need to get a quick connect for the Micro-Start battery jumper. Also need to wire the seat heater and the light bar....

image.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hello everybody, I am back.

The short version. My life fell apart over the summer, and I am working to put it back together. (My long time partner and I separated, and I am in the process of moving my life 1800 miles away.) Working on starting a new life in the Seattle area. [thumbs up]

It was good to have my moto through the process, gave me a peaceful place to be at. Very happy to have the bike in my life.

I have a few photos from the summertime in Superior NF. Will post them over the next few days.

So, back to regular programming.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior