Setting up a Wrangler Unlimited for expedition??

TeriAnn

Explorer
It appears that I'm going to be involved in setting up one or more of the new Wrangler unlimiteds for long range North American expedition type travel. What I know about Jeeps might fill a paragraph so I'm looking for advice.

• In your collective opinions what are the best ways to set up a Wrangler Unlimited for long range travel?
  • What's the best off the shelf gear to equip one for this role?
  • What is likely to break on the vehicle?
  • What needs beefing up for reliability or just getting from here to there fully loaded for a long trip.

Your helpful suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!!

preacherman

Explorer
One of the things I hate about jeep's is that there are sooooo many different factory configurations. For instance my 99 TJ has a four banger with a 5 speed and dana 35 and Dana 30 axles. Most models are offered with 3 different transmissions (2 different 5 speeds, one auto and a 6 speed in 2006 and up) two engines (a 2.5 four cylinder or a straight 6) and three possible axle configurations (a Dana 35 and Dana 30, a Dana 30 and Dana 44, or all Dana 44). Of course where the weak point is depends on what set up you have.

Usually the front axle shafts are weak when lifted or locked(unless you have the Dana 44 up front) and the rear Dana 35 can become weak if you go with a locker and 33's or bigger. (but this really depends on driving style). And of course there are about a billion lift options which each have + and - and each bring up new problems. For example a 2 inch lift only requires new shocks and you can run 31's while a 4+ inch lift will let you run 33's but you will need new shocks, track bar, drop pitman arm and depending on which lift (and who you listen to) possible a transfer case drop or a slip yoke eliminator. It really depends on what you have to work with and what you plan on doing. Also re-gearing is a necessity for the 2.5 with almost any bigger tire while a 5 speed with the straight 6 and 33's will be ok without a re gear.

A few good questions to ask, which will answer your questions.
1. What year, and what factory options (axles, engine, transmission)
2. Will there be suspension mods and if so how high?
3. What size tire's will be run?

Hope that helps.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Teri Ann,

Welcome to the other side of the pond. :)

If the intention is to live in the vehicle this model is available right off the shelf...

img_0321_letter%20size_std.jpg

It would look better with a white roof and white upper body panels.

Cheers,
Graham

TeriAnn

Explorer
preacherman said:
A few good questions to ask, which will answer your questions.
1. What year, and what factory options (axles, engine, transmission)
2. Will there be suspension mods and if so how high?
3. What size tire's will be run?

Figure the new long wheel base Wrangler unlimited. They come with Dana 44's on the rear & ?? on the front rear a petrol ... sorry gas 3.8L V6 engine, six speed manual gearbox
3.21 or 4.1:1 R&P. Looks like P255/70R18 or LT255/75R17 tyres.

I'm asking among other things what suspension modes would work.

Thanks

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Check the AEV web site for some very good ideas.

The JK's have a few differences over the TJ including bigger axles, however the electronic sway bar disconnect appears to be a weak point as show at camp Jeep.

I think that the Rubicon version is still a very good option even for the extra cost. Alloy axles, 3.5" lift, and maybe 4.88 gears will allow 35/37's and work well just about anywhere you may want to go. 37's look big on a TJ but look sort of natural on a 4 door JK.

However if you are truly meaning a LJ rather than 4 door JK, the story changes.
Few places will require more than 35's and 4.56 gears which means about 4.5 of lift. The ride for long arms are better. So it also depends on what model of LJ as they have different differentials. A Rubicon will have dana 44, which can be upgraded with alloy axles. This helps in the front as the factory axles in the 44's have dana 35 outers. Another weak point in the Rubicon is the rear spider gears which have a habit of breaking, just replace with a front center rather that the rear LSD locker. If it is not a Rubicon going 35's may over cook the smaller Dana's depending on the funding this may suggest that 33's may be the best selection.

The old rule is the expected trails select the tire size, which in turn sets everything else. (lift to clear tires, axles and gears to suit tires .....)

Then from the other side of the fence are bigger tires needed........ The basic Jeep package is mostly fairly tough, you may just need to do a budget boost lift of a couple of inches, an oil pan skid, tummy tuck and winch.

TeriAnn

Explorer
OS-Aussie said:
The old rule is the expected trails select the tire size, which in turn sets everything else. (lift to clear tires, axles and gears to suit tires .....)

I guess in most cases thats true.

Personally I use 255/85R16 tyres because I can not easily enter my vehicle wearing a straight skirt with tyres taller than 33.3" dia.

So anyway please keep those suggestions coming. What do you need to deck out the new long wheelbase Jeeps.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1leg

Explorer
255/85/16 fit great on the new JK with out a lift.

2138719617_2518132f43.jpg

A 2 inch lift would be nice. I have one but it still needs to be installed.

You don't need a Rubicon. It's cheaper to install Lockers into a X model. If you need them. I haven't needed them yet.

Storage space is the only thing that the jeep lacks.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
So you are thinking a 4 door JK then ???

If so run rent or borrow travel with one and check out what you think it needs for your type of travel.

My Rubicon runs 40's while my Cherokee is stock, but they are for different types of trails.

Where do you expect to travel ??

BTW lockers is not the only difference with a Rubicon, but yes where you go says if you may need lockers

Different trails different needs.......
Clayton - Green Mamba (40's)
greenacres023.jpg

Rubicon Trail (33 & 35's, bigger rocks bigger tires)
HPIM1126.jpg

Mojave Road (33's)
w_FH000019.jpg

Afternoon tea North of Alturas (stock)
HPIM0787.jpg

Last edited:

TeriAnn

Explorer
OS-Aussie said:
So you are thinking a 4 door JK then ???

If so run rent or borrow travel with one and check out what you think it needs for your type of travel.

Sorry I thought I made it clear, the long wheelbase jeep buildup is not for myself. It is for a client who wants to do long distance traveling, camping along the way. Think more of visiting ghost towns, anasazi ruins, taking pictures, fishing & hunting. That sort of thing Where the vehicle supports the activity rather than is the activity. Figure 2 adults and 2 children for many of the trips.

Think in terms of an activity support vehicle where the vehicle gets you to the activity and not so much in terms of an activity vehicle where getting from point A to point B is the activity.

My client specified a new long wheelbase Wrangler unlimited as the base vehicle. What's available to enhance its role as a long range activity support vehicle for a family who is camping.

As of this month I have owned my Land Rover for 30 years and I'm still happy with it. Again this is for a client and not for myself. For those who haven't seen it, here's my rig:

GRmoab.jpg

KaneCreekcamp.JPG

rearinterior.jpeg

GRktichen1t.jpg

Anyway, enough of my rig. What would it take to set up the new long wheelbase Jeeps to SUPPORT long distance travel and to SUPPORT outdoor activities for a family of four camping along the way.

mightymike

Adventurer
Anyway, enough of my rig. What would it take to set up the new long wheelbase Jeeps to SUPPORT long distance travel and to SUPPORT outdoor activities for a family of four camping along the way.

As a former owner of a LWB 2-door Jeep and having a family of four, I think the answer to your question is: A trailer!

We are campers, hunters, anglers, etc.....A stock Rubicon, with perhaps a 2" lift, will take your clients most anywhere they would want to go with the goal being the activity when you get there, not rockcrawling. I know the 4-door Jeeps are larger than the one I had, but the room inside is very limited. The maufactured off-road cargo/camping trailers can be pretty pricey. We did very well with a military surplus M416. The added advantage is that you can unhook the trailer when you are not on a trip and enjoy the benefits of not adding a lot of weight to the vehicle itself.

Uticon

Adventurer
I have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
I think its a great start for an expedition vehicle.

Id start with replacing the driveshafts with a U Joint driveshaft.
-The factory design does not let you replace the joints in the field.

The factory skid plates are decent but with the longer wheel base i do tend to scrape my belly more often.

There are a bunch of new aftermarket suppliers getting into the Jeep game just because of the popularity of the JKs.

The stock fuel tank on the new JKs are fairly small, 21 gal.
I can get about 325 miles per tank but there is plenty of room for a larger tank but as of today i dont think anybody out there makes a larger tank.

I have a Teraflex budget boost which gives me another 2" of clearance.
I would stay away from big lifts for expedition travel just because of more things to break or go wrong.

Im sure i can come up with more info but that should give you a good start.
:archaeolo

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hello TeriAnn,
I have the exact vehicle you are discussing for your client. A 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JK(4 door). Could you please let us know what size tires you are going to put on the JK. This really tells us a lot about what size lift or lack of lift will be needed as well as other things to look at.

Two quick setups.

Stock JK with 33" tires no lift needed. Gear ratio should be OK. I would put a few skid plates on the vehicle to protect the oil pan and front/rear differentials. This Jeep has an evap canister that is particularly vulnerable right next to the rear drive shaft. A large black box. This should be protected or moved to a different location. www.kilbyenterprises.com sells a relocation bracket.

Lifted JK with 35" tires. I would do the above mentioned plus. A good quality suspension lift. I went with Poly Performance Synergy stage III lift kit. (www.polyperformance.com) This kit will address the problems with lifting a JK. The front and rear track bars are a known failure point. Make sure that the lift kit you chose addresses these problems correctly. Most kits are raising the track bar with a tab which creates a fulcrum point. This leads to the bracket snapping off at the stock welds. This would be my biggest concern for your clients. The downside with 35" tires you will most likely want to regear. I went with 5.13(automatic). Also it looks like with this much suspension travel I will need to upgrade the stock driveshafts. Well this leads to a giant snowball effect know as a Jeep(just empty every pocket).

Here is a link to my build thread.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6947

47b8dd31b3127cceb64bb5c4c1e100000026108EatWzFu0cO

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
mightmike wrote "As a former owner of a LWB 2-door Jeep and having a family of four, I think the answer to your question is: A trailer!"

Bingo, we have a winner. This would be great for a family of four. I love my Chaser #15. Oh and here is how it looks with the trailer.

47b8df03b3127cceb47bb177d0f900000026108EatWzFu0cO

The JK has a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost on it in this picture. Those are 35" tires.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
TeriAnn said:
Personally I use 255/85R16 tyres because I can not easily enter my vehicle wearing a straight skirt with tyres taller than 33.3" dia.

:xxrotflma

Man, I would love to embed that line in some fellas signature around here!

I'm not sure who yet....:peepwall:..... but somebody who runs tall 'n skinnies...

Ahem, sorry. Please resume your research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior