Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Looking good. If you have any Scepter cans, adding a cover with straps would make them easier to handle.

I don't run Scepter's, I've got plenty of NATO cans though. I'll have to think about that one. I might have to spill some gasoline on a piece of waxed canvas scrap and see how it reacts. I need a better bag for my siphon and fuel nozzle.

I was able to disappear into the garage for a while tonight. Got some cleaning done and also installed the snaps on the trailer for the shoe bag. I've currently got two snaps holding it up but I think it's going to need a third one. I drilled a small hole and riveted the male side of the snap to the frame.

20191127_201904.jpg

20191127_201912.jpg

I'm also going to add either some webbing and a buckle or snaps for the bottom of the shoe bag. It's a great size for my feet, but my 3yo son's shoes disappear into the bottom. Aaaaaand thinking about that just gave me an idea... gotta go find some paper and pen :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I might have to spill some gasoline on a piece of waxed canvas scrap and see how it reacts. I need a better bag for my sipho

Depends on how your canvas is waxed. Paraffin waxed canvas (commercial/military grade) will simply bead it off and absorb a small amount which will retain the gas odor. Organic based waxed canvas (beeswax, veggies, etc.) has less natural odor content and will also bead the gas liquid off but may retain the odor more notably.

I use large paraffin waxed canvas Tarps that I make to cover my tractor, mower, etc and they routinely get oils, grease, deisel, gasoline, hydraulic fluid and chemicals on them with negative breakdown problem or long term odor issues.

The bigger issue is your thread. Good quality nylon, poly or cotton thread should be chemical/solvent resistant. If not, spilled gasoline on the seam will eventually breakdown the thread and destroy the seam, same with nylon seam Tape and nylon webbing. Good luck!

IMG_20191126_102019225.jpg

Louisd75

Adventurer
Depends on how your canvas is waxed. Paraffin waxed canvas (commercial/military grade) will simply bead it off and absorb a small amount which will retain the gas odor. Organic based waxed canvas (beeswax, veggies, etc.) has less natural odor content and will also bead the gas liquid off but may retain the odor more notably.

I use large paraffin waxed canvas Tarps that I make to cover my tractor, mower, etc and they routinely get oils, grease, deisel, gasoline, hydraulic fluid and chemicals on them with negative breakdown problem or long term odor issues.

The bigger issue is your thread. Good quality nylon, poly or cotton thread should be chemical/solvent resistant. If not, spilled gasoline on the seam will eventually breakdown the thread and destroy the seam, same with nylon seam Tape and nylon webbing. Good luck!

View attachment 553583

The thread is UV resistant Polyester that I picked up from Sailrite with the machine. They had a sale going on and I probably bought more notions than I probably needed. My webbing is nylon but I'm pretty sure I can get other materials at the marine supply place. If not there, then maybe REI or my local hardware store. It'll be something for me to play around with.

I tried figuring out what kind of wax was used. The website for the distributor doesn't say, but it definitely doesn't have that old military tarp smell. Either way, it's been kind of fun to work with :)

A bit jealous of your picture. We were promised a chance of snow. I think it made it down to 1000' but we live at 300'. We did get a pretty rippin windstorm though.

Still playing around with the new machine and working through the waxed canvas I picked up. First up is a shoe bag for the teardrop trailer. I've actually made two of 'em, one of each side of the trailer. They're designed to snap to the trailer frame below the door so that we have a water resistant place to drop our dirty shoes. They'll hold the shoes up off the ground so that we can reach them from inside the trailer. There's a flap that folds over the shoe opening to help minimize water getting in:

View attachment 553481

Hope to get the snaps installed on the trailer after Thanksgiving.

Next I started working on water jug covers. I've been a big fan of the 1 gallon plastic jugs that are nearly ubiquitous at any grocery store or gas station. I like them because they're easier to use and store than a 5 gallon jug, easy to refill, inexpensive, easy to see if they've gotten funky inside and, if they leak, you're only out a gallon. In all the years I've been using them I've only had a couple of leaks. The major design issue I have with them is the handles break off pretty easily. Here's my proof-of-concept jug holder. It's 10oz canvas with a cotton flannel lining and a nylon webbing handle:

View attachment 553482

View attachment 553483

One down, nine more to go! :)

Edited to add:
I went with the cotton flannel lining inside for cushioning and so that if I need to cool things off I can flip the bottle holder inside out and soak it for evaporative cooling.

Those are some great ideas, and they're well executed. I really like the gallon water bottle holder. Might have to make a couple of those myself.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
The thread is UV resistant Polyester that I picked up from Sailrite with the machine. They had a sale going on and I probably bought more notions than I probably needed. My webbing is nylon but I'm pretty sure I can get other materials at the marine supply place. If not there, then maybe REI or my local hardware store. It'll be something for me to play around with.

I tried figuring out what kind of wax was used. The website for the distributor doesn't say, but it definitely doesn't have that old military tarp smell. Either way, it's been kind of fun to work with :)

A bit jealous of your picture. We were promised a chance of snow. I think it made it down to 1000' but we live at 300'. We did get a pretty rippin winds

Sailrite makes/sells great stuff for harsh environments so I wouldn't worry about it.

Your waxed canvas looks like garment grade waxed canvas (creasing marks on canvas) that is either manufactured with paraffin and non-petroleum based additives (military Tarp odor) thereby making it odor free, yet just as water resistant. Very popular with clothing/bag companies since most people do not like the military Tarp odor. It also has less color/wax transference when warm.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I inherited a Bernina 217. It’s a big and heavy machine with a large external motor to drive it. Im just beginning to get it running and putting down some stitches. Reminds me of learning to weld, a whole new world out there.

My current question is: when I got it there was no belt to connect the motor to the machine, so I went over to napa autoparts and found a gates vbelt that fit. It seems to work, is there a proper belt for a sewing machine that’s different? My only concern about it is, the amount of travel to releasethe ‘clutch’ pedal from stopped to crazy fast is very tiny. Seems like maybe the belt is supposed to be able to slip abit to control speed but mone doesnt at all. An automotive analogy would be a extremely sensitive clutch where the vehicle goes from stopped to 25 with nothing in between really possible.

Is that normal? Is it adjustable? Is my belt ok or is it part of my issue.

Thanks
Chris

8abbd8e10cf28216e0089edafb4494eb.jpg
7c5d39946ea8673675c01f5eb3c2d621.jpg

Driftwood77

Bike_Mech the usual belts for sewing machines are round leather ones. However I run a car v belt on mine at the moment as I couldn't get one in time to finish a job I was doing.
No the belt is not supposed to slip at all. The adjustment is on the lever that goes from the footplate up to the motor linkage.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Seems like the belt a tiny bit too wide. You should be able to find a local sewing machine/vacuum repair shop that sells them. You may also be able to adjust the clutch adjustment on the motor. Look under the sewing machine. You should see the motor, pulley and linkage to the foot pedal. The pulley is similiar to a clutch system and should be adjustable (widen the gap of the pulley to allow for slippage/play) play with adjustment. Good luck.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Rookie questions

I can not get my mothers domestic 70's machine to sew/feed canvas and sumbrella. Reading makes me think I need a machine with a walking foot or maybe more?
Being a rookie buying a used machine for my needs does not seem like a smart choice. So I found a new REX machine https://www.amazon.com/REX-607-Port...ocphy=9010909&hvtargid=pla-309219348361&psc=1 that claims to be heavy duty with a walking foot would this be a good choice to meet my needs for the hobby guy?

shade

Rookie questions

I can not get my mothers domestic 70's machine to sew/feed canvas and sumbrella. Reading makes me think I need a machine with a walking foot or maybe more?
Being a rookie buying a used machine for my needs does not seem like a smart choice. So I found a new REX machine https://www.amazon.com/REX-607-Port...ocphy=9010909&hvtargid=pla-309219348361&psc=1 that claims to be heavy duty with a walking foot would this be a good choice to meet my needs for the hobby guy?
I was about to ask the same thing. ?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Rookie questions

A couple of things.
1) Rex is a good old school brand of machine as long as it's still made in Japan. I just retired my 50 year old Rex due to needing a faster machine.
2) The motor on that one seems a bit small for thick material and may cause fail to feed issues.
3) That machine is not a portable machine. It appears to need a sewing table or fitted base/case system. Without either the machine will move around too much.
4) I didn't see what comes with it e.g.: foot pedal, knee lift, bobbin thread rewind assembly, extra bobbins/tools/needles and instruction manual.
5) Depending on the foot pedal, motor pulley and drive wheel pulley I'm not sure how controllable the speed of this machine is. Please remember, the power and speed of a walking foot machine has the ability to put a needle through 1/2 - 1" of material as easily as putting a needle through your finger/thumb. Controllability and practice is important.
6) oh, yeah it is a basic walking foot machine and most likely can handle what your wanting to do.

Good luck!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Rookie questions

I forgot about your first problem. I started on a 70's Brother machine and as long as your not getting too thick you should be able to get a reasonable seam/result from those old machines. You may wish to check and make sure the presser foot and feed dog and drive system is properly adjusted and working. The feed dog (the teeth under the plate that pulls the fabric through can be adjusted (on some machines)so, if yours is out of adjustment or damaged it may not be applying the correct force to pull the fabric through.

(Or if your just trying to convince the wife you need a new machine then it's broken and too old and expensive to repair and therefore you definitely need a new JUKI sewing machine! Cheers)

jgaz

Adventurer
I forgot about your first problem. I started on a 70's Brother machine and as long as your not getting too thick you should be able to get a reasonable seam/result from those old machines. You may wish to check and make sure the presser foot and feed dog and drive system is properly adjusted and working. The feed dog (the teeth under the plate that pulls the fabric through can be adjusted (on some machines)so, if yours is out of adjustment or damaged it may not be applying the correct force to pull the fabric thr

@LandCruiserPhil
I’m not sure what part of the valley you’re in, but if you’re looking to be sure your current machine is in top shape I can highly recommend “Vacuum and Sew” at 99th ave and Bell.

My wife just took her used Pfaff machine in this summer due to difficulty feeding the heavier fabric she was working with. The tune up was reasonable, done quickly, and she said it’s working better than it ever has.

Just a thought

Rookie questions

There are a lot of poor reviews on that machine. You might want to look for something better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles