shadow cruiser popup question.

zimm

Expedition Leader
theres a clean unit for sale i can score for 2000. i just barely fit, which means i fit, and yea in a tad junky, but it'll work for weekend kayak trips.

the issue is my dually. its got the flat undermount rieco plates and tripod style jacks. i figure i need about 8" min extension for the dually to fit. does that seem kosher? i doubt the strength of the unit would hold for sitting on the jacks for long periods, but it would just be on and off 3x a year or so.

also, i think i'd have to ditch the tripod base and just use the poles so as to clear the duallys. clearly, for 2000 the money isnt the issue, i just dont want a pain in the ass tragedy of a system.

any opinions out there? hate to pass it up, as it'll be nice for weekend ******** trips, but if its just wishful thinking, then its just wishful thinking.

Stryder

Not sure I fully understand your question, but I have a Shadow Cruiser that I bought last year, made in 1994. It’s in great shape and I love the thing even if it isn’t a FWC.

Anyway I have a Tundra and I have to raise the camper almost to the limits of the jacks each time it goes on. And, as you said it’s a tripod system which always makes me a bit nervous when taking it on & off. Really wish it had 4 jacks but as I understand it, it can’t be retrofitted.

If clearance is the issue, you can get inserts for the jacks that raise them up a few inches. I also put the jack footings on 2x6s to raise them a bit more, as it works.

Hope that helps. I say if the camper doesn’t smell moldy and you really want a pop up camper, go for it. As I said, I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerry

Expedition Leader
Can you just extend the jack mounts? I did that to get my Northstar into the service body

Clutch

<---Pass
going back to an alaskan. couldnt help myself. with a diesel dually weight just isnt an issue.

Nice! Did you grab that one in Hellertown?

I want one, even if they are leaky SOB's.

Did the seller throw in a case of caulking for ya? :D

04915156a_L.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
The pictures do not do it justice... Fit and finish is better than factory. It’s tight, and well thought out. If you wanted an Alaskan, and thought maybe you should have jumped on this, you were right. I’m just lucky I have a freind with free space and tool use in a wood shop.

Ripperj, I hope your sellers remorse isn’t too bad.

zimm

Expedition Leader
attached are a series of "hatchet into the new camper" pics. Im 90% sure my gamble that it was the windows will pan out.

youll notice in the first pic, theres some discoloration in lower corner of the the outside edge of the sliding side of the window.

the water damage decreases a
the sealed edge of the fixed side of the window.

if you look at the outside sliding corner of the window, there is no evidence of factory seam sealer. i'll find out more when i pull the window.

the last pic is the weep hole i drilled to let out accumulated water in the bottom cap.

my bet is, the top as constructed is pert near airtight, and the water would capillary thru the factory corner of the window, and accumulate all winter in the bottom cap, like pool.

the wood seems solid and if dryed with a heat gun on a camera stand, i may be able to complete the repair without messing with the skin. my biggest issue is one screw on the inner 1/8x1x1 steel corner angle cant be reached with the top attached. itll take me about 8 man hours to remove and reattache one frigging screw.

the weep holes will remain. naturally.

on the other side there is evidence of moisture in the paneling, but no water came out of the weep hole. this is likely just a window modification and some cosmetic work. i dont see a need for the exploratory hatchet job if i pull the window and not a little staining at the corner area.
s you move away from that staining, and youll notice there is no staining on the lumber above the underside cap, and none on

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2740.jpg
    IMG_2740.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg