Shipping Container camper...

tamangel

Adventurer
somewhere.......I have seen a picture of a euro truck with a shipping container on it for a camper box... It was notched in the front (not the door end) so it was able to fit on the truck bed and, because of the notched box end, became a cab-over camper box..

Anyone know where a pic of that rig is by chance.. i've looked all over ExPo but unable to locate..

Also, any other rigs with shipping containers as camper rig pic's would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Mike

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Sorry...

Been doing a lot of container (ISBUs) research for my el cheapO house build and haven't seen the pic your referring to yet. I'll look around...

tamangel

Adventurer
Thanks, I think there was some discussion on it ( a couple of posts) but unknown where.. Maybe on ExPo or on the older version.. Maybe not even on this forum.. I'll eventually (I hope locate it) and post..

Mike

Errant

Explorer
Been doing a lot of container (ISBUs) research for my el cheapO house build and haven't seen the pic your referring to yet. I'll look around...

I've looked at this, too! I'd love to have something like a BARK ATC, port-a-bach, or EcoPod out in the middle of the woods. Are you planning on a single container build, or will you use a couple?

Errant

Explorer
and to get back to your question, Mike, I've not seen any container/vehicle builds in my research, but will keep an eye out :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
A 20 foot steel sided shipping container weighs about 4800 lbs empty.
You'd need a serious truck to cart one of those around, even if you
shorten it significantly.

This is correct. Unless you have a ginormous truck for it plan on it being more of a "mobile home" in its truest sense.

Errant...Don't wish to steal his thread so shoot me a PM and we can talk. Unless of course the OP wishes to hear my ramblings on building a house from an ISBU (shipping container)..? haha

D

Deleted member 9101

HA!!!! I live in one right now:

26484_1340233824189_1181483028_30969921_3814145_n.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
HA!!!! I live in one right now:

26484_1340233824189_1181483028_30969921_3814145_n.jpg

Ha! Doin' better than me brotha! I was living in a similar CHU (though not an inside one!?!) but then work needed me closer and now I'm in an old Iraqi turd building...So bad they (KBR) won't repair anything as they say its not justifiable...hahaha...

D

Deleted member 9101

Ha! Doin' better than me brotha! I was living in a similar CHU (though not an inside one!?!) but then work needed me closer and now I'm in an old Iraqi turd building...So bad they (KBR) won't repair anything as they say its not justifiable...hahaha...

Yeah, they are inside a huge warehouse... not too bad by any standards...lol.

You know a building is bad when even KBR won't blow gov't money to work on it....lol

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Wasting funds...

Yeah...
Kinda sad. But since my "bedroom" and my work share a wall I have to pull power from a couple buildings away just for light and a fan. AC is not an option as the breakers won't hold up.
We had an "issue" a couple months ago and the contractor told me the stupidist thing.
Seems somewhere dating back to just post Vietnam the Govt. made a policy to try and boost local economies of the countries we were in. They mandated that materials must be purchased locally when possible and be of compatable nature.
In a nutshell, the electrical guys have to go to "haggie-depot" (shadetree bazzar) and order stuff. Takes FOREVER!!! and the local stuff is CRAPtastic! He told me if they were allowed to they could place an order through anywhere (like HD,Lowes,Fastnell..whatever) and have 100% better quality and less issues. And it would likely even be faster with the extra ordering/shipping incurred! Go figure!
Don't let me get started about the latrine from hell I have to use...!:Wow1:

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah...
Kinda sad. But since my "bedroom" and my work share a wall I have to pull power from a couple buildings away just for light and a fan. AC is not an option as the breakers won't hold up.
We had an "issue" a couple months ago and the contractor told me the stupidist thing.
Seems somewhere dating back to just post Vietnam the Govt. made a policy to try and boost local economies of the countries we were in. They mandated that materials must be purchased locally when possible and be of compatable nature.
In a nutshell, the electrical guys have to go to "haggie-depot" (shadetree bazzar) and order stuff. Takes FOREVER!!! and the local stuff is CRAPtastic! He told me if they were allowed to they could place an order through anywhere (like HD,Lowes,Fastnell..whatever) and have 100% better quality and less issues. And it would likely even be faster with the extra ordering/shipping incurred! Go figure!
Don't let me get started about the latrine from hell I have to use...!:Wow1:

Oh I have no doubts that policy royally screws over our soldiers. Heck, over here all the mechanics are TCN's and completely clueless. If it was not for the unwavering resolve of the American soldier our wars would be doomed to fail before the first round was fired.

Hell, about three years ago the ordered a shade canopy for one of our ECP's.. it just got put up a month ago....people wonder why things take so long to happen over here...********

D

Deleted member 9101

I like it!!! Hell, I want to build one now. I have always thought of putting one on the back of a 5t troop carrier(the insanely long wheel base version) woudl be a good start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles