SHoll's Silverado Build

XJLI

Adventurer
I'm not sure you posted the tire size? What just curious as to what you were running. Your truck is the same as mine, minus the lift.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
If it were me, I would skip the intake and exhaust, unless it is rusting or in need of replacement. The factory system provides plenty of air and filters much better. Unless you are going to do a tune, I think you’ll be disappointed with the cost/benefit ratio. Most aftermarket exhaust systems drone like mad in the 2000 rpm range, which btw, is pretty much at all cruising speeds. That adds to considerable more driver fatigue on a long trip.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Got to agree with bknudtsen, stock intake is really efficient in filtering and gets cold air from the fender, most c/a systems use oiled filters and they just don't keep the dirt out as good as factory!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
I have a said "droning" exhaust system (that's also rusty and rattles) on my truck I just bought couple weeks ago. Once my November budget gets in effect.. I will be changing that out for a nice Flowmaster Super 50 to get the sound down and a bit milder. I'll let you know how it comes out and if I'd recommend it for others. Based on the research I have done through Flowmaster reviews, videos, and websites, it seems like it will be the right amount of aggressive (under hard acceleration) but mild tone the remaining 98% of my driving. hah.
I also have a K&N intake kit on my 5.3L. I like it - but I also agree with the others that for the cost of them; it probably doesn't get quite as much bang for the buck. I am very stringent on making sure it's always cleaned and oiled on a proper schedule to make sure its clean and is working best, though. So I feel like its pretty efficient as long as you maintain them properly. No idea how it compares to stock. :) Just my $0.02.

SHoll

I appreciate all the responses. I may keep the intake then. My reason for changing the exhaust was mainly sound, but the exhaust tip itself is bent up from the previous owner and the muffler rattles on occasion. Initially I wanted a 40 series but I do not want too much drone in the cab so maybe a 50 flowmaster. I may go all out and do stainless piping for whole system.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have a said "droning" exhaust system (that's also rusty and rattles) on my truck I just bought couple weeks ago. Once my November budget gets in effect.. I will be changing that out for a nice Flowmaster Super 50 to get the sound down and a bit milder. I'll let you know how it comes out and if I'd recommend it for others. Based on the research I have done through Flowmaster reviews, videos, and websites, it seems like it will be the right amount of aggressive (under hard acceleration) but mild tone the remaining 98% of my driving. hah.
I also have a K&N intake kit on my 5.3L. I like it - but I also agree with the others that for the cost of them; it probably doesn't get quite as much bang for the buck. I am very stringent on making sure it's always cleaned and oiled on a proper schedule to make sure its clean and is working best, though. So I feel like its pretty efficient as long as you maintain them properly. No idea how it compares to stock. :) Just my $0.02.
I'm thinking of going with a 50 series flowmaster. I'm slow to do this change because apparently the the 6.0's are loud.

norcal4x4

Do you have any pictures of the front of your truck straight on? Thinking about getting the RC 4” lift just curious to see what clearance/C.V. angles look like with the drop bracket.

SHoll

Do you have any pictures of the front of your truck straight on? Thinking about getting the RC 4” lift just curious to see what clearance/C.V. angles look like with the drop bracket.

Yea let me take a couple pictures for you tomorrow. The CV angles are pretty good. Im pleased. Drives like stock.

SHoll

20181107_145718.jpg20181107_145738.jpg

CV angles are solid. Very happy with the lift even for being known as a cheap-o kit, I've had no issues on or off road.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
I'm thinking of going with a 50 series flowmaster. I'm slow to do this change because apparently the the 6.0's are loud.

Just a follow up on what I said.. Just got the 50-Series muffler put on my 5.3L about an hour ago and driving home... I am in LOVE. It's the perfect low tone I enjoy when on the gas, but with the windows up, I barely hear it idling. Startup is mellow (so I'm not waking all the neighbors) but it still sounds aggressive on acceleration.
Super happy with it. If you are looking for exhaust - I do recommend this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online