Shortbusadventure's Tiger Motorhome build

r50fj60

Observer
Thats actually better than I would've guessed. Whats sad is our stock 84 FJ60 gets about that if not worse in stop and go traffic...

ericb67

I just found this thread and read it start to finish. What an amazing, spectacular rig! I'm really sorry about your relationship, but it looks like you have a lot of great adventures ahead. Thanks for sharing!

womacje

Adventurer
Great Rig! I was thinking, those rear fenders would look awesome black... Great minds think alike. I also agree with your aesthetic views of the tiger, but its really hard not to love the capabilities and functionalities.

Sorry, to hear about you and the misses. My wife and I called it quits about 2yrs ago, we just make better friends than we do partners, sad but we are both healthier. My desire to drive into the wilderness and ride dirt bikes has never been greater in the last couple years.

Happy trails!

from post #47
Some of it's looks, including the fender flares are not my favorite, but the utility of the rig fits us perfectly. The front and side view I like, the rear and 3/4 rear are a bit odd. the rear of the camper has some old school lines that don't match the look of the modern truck and the fiberglass top.
It looks like they have done some changes to the back end (tail lights and window). Picture #7 bottom of the photo

The full length window they used to have never made much sense to me with it being covered by the bathroom.

from post #98
We love the layout and features. If we could make any changes, it would be to lengthen the cab over to orient the bed front to back. It would give us more room, storage, and no climbing over one another to get out of bed.-Kevin

I think the bed would be much improved if it were a full 60 inches wide, even if it was left in the east west position. Maybe they'll make the change by the time I'm ready to buy one...many years from now.

TomH

Adventurer
I think the bed would be much improved if it were a full 60 inches wide, even if it was left in the east west position. Maybe they'll make the change by the time I'm ready to buy one...many years from now.

The new and soon to be released Siberian Tiger will have a Queen sized bed facing forward above the crew cab. There will be other changes as well.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Its been a while!

Haven't done a update in quite some time. Here are some pics from my trip to OX11. I stopped in Scottsdale, AZ at ASFIR 4x4 to pick up some underbody protection. Those guys are great! Now I'm not so scared to drag the belly of the big truck.

OX11 was great! Got to meet tons of great people. Did a handful of really helpful workshops. On sunday I did a stellar ride with the "Cool" guys from Tourtech. Holy smokes, I helped pick up so many big GS beemers that day, I am convinced I don't want a huge adventure big. Mind you, they had no luggage either.

I met up with "ScottReb" and his wife Irene at the conclusion of the expo. We did most of the Mojave trail together. I had a great time, but learned that my rig is a bit big for the trail. Between the dually tires bashing rocks and and the sides getting beaten by Joshua trees and cacti, I beat the camper up a bit. I managed to break one solar panel, lose a few clearance lights, and break my side door catch. On the last day, I even bent one of my steel dually wheels. The sidewalls of all my toyo mudders took a beating.

When I came home, new Hankook A/T 's and the Centerline DOT dual beadlocks I've been waiting on had finally arrived. I have not completed install, as the bigger tires, and offset is requiring some fitment adjustments. I will hopefully have it all together next week and will take pics. The rear dually flares will be getting gut off, woohoo! Then some custom King Shocks are being built. The A/T's are much quieter as suspected, and ditching the duals rides so much nicer. I know i will miss the stability of the duals, but it's a compromise.

Also in the works is the rear tire carrier. I have a fab shop building a rear tire carrier that will slide for access to both the tire and storage compartments on the back while my dirtbike is mounted. I have also removed the packasport storage pod from the roof, in an effort to get as much weight off the roof. I am looking forward to never having to get the spare tire off the roof. It was never fun.

-Kevin

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8686.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg

IMG_8753.jpg

IMG_8772.jpg

IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8806.jpg

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

A parting shot on my drive North. On the Kern river outside Bakersfield,CA.
_MG_8828.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Wow...

Just read this end to end. I must say, love this rig. Very functional, and well thought out. I am very stoked on getting into the expo lifestyle and am certain that my Jeep Cherokee XJ with an Expo trailer will get VERY small very fast. 2 kids and the wife and I fill it up pretty good. lol

Anyhow, thanks for posting...great photos and good words, very nice to follow the adventures of others when you are stuck at home or at work!

Happy trails!
Greg

SChandler

Adventurer
Any particular reason for giving up on the Toyo MT's? I know they are expensive, but they are supposed to be very durable tires. The 3 ply sidewalls come in handy when you have to drag them through miles of rock on a heavy rig, such as your Tiger.

Last edited:

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Dually No More!

I have finally got the truck on singles, and putting some miles on em'.
The wheels are a heavy duty dual bead lock from Centerline wheels. They are forged, and quite a piece of machining. They are by no means light, but the whole set up is lighter than the steel dually set up. The tires are Hankook Dynapro ATM (285/70/17).

The truck drives so much nicer now. No matter how many times I had it aligned with the dually's, it always pulled slightly to the right. Now no longer. I am seeing a 2.5 mpg increase, less road noise, slightly more ground clearance. I added a Hellwig rear sway bar, which has made the stability amazing. I feel like I have the same stability I had with the duals. The rear track is wider than standard, as I retained the dually rear axle. It is 2" wider on each side, which is not noticeable due to the width of the camper. It looks just right! I cut off the rear fender flares, and had the area bed lined.

I had a custom rear tire carrier built, so that I could access my storage compartment when a motorcycle/bikes were on the back. I also have easy access to the tire in case of flats. The tire carrier slides out, instead of on a pivot. I will take some detailed pics of the carrier soon.

The Kings Shocks are finally on. I have only driven it minimally, but first impression is that it rides so much nicer. I was able to do 2500 miles with the tire change, now I get to see the change the Kings make. I will report back soon as I get more miles on em.

-Kevin

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
2011-07-11_14-22-06_840.jpg

2011-07-11_14-22-25_244.jpg

2011-07-11_14-22-41_132.jpg

2011-07-11_14-22-56_16.jpg

2011-07-11_14-23-11_609.jpg

ExpoMike

Very nice improvement. Need to check out those wheels, they sound like a nice setup. Glad to see ya back posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior