Should you still buy a Fuso in North America?

Should you still buy a Fuso in North America?

• Total voters

Timoteus

Mitsubishi Press release from May 27th stated that they will phase out sales of Fuso Chassis in North America.
I have been looking into buying a Fuso 4x4 for a while now and after reading this I am questioning myself about doing this.
  1. Would it be better to go for a different vehicle and if so what would you guys recommend?
  2. If not what do people think about this vehicle from B.C. Canada (please excuse my lack of knowledge):
    • 2012 MITSUBISHI FUSO FGB72S
    • 6 Spd Automatic
    • 67,605 KMS
    • 4WD
    • $32,500* (CAD) + tax and licensing
fuso.jpg

SuperVan

Forager
Stick with it!
With 8 more years of support and a tight knit community of Fuso FG owners, this is still one of the best platform choices around in my opinion. I’m thinking it will only bring us all closer together ??
As for parts, in this day and age, I believe they will always be available.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Speaking from experience (2002 Fuso FG) all my support and parts have been from non-factory sources (<$$) and those independent sources will be around forever. I certainly don't see any other factory options for a 4x4 cabover truck in the US, and the FG is a proven platform (especially the 2007 and prior models). It is too bad that Mitsubishi did not stay with the 2007 and before engine, transmission, 2-speed transfer case here in the US. But that probably would not have met the new emission standards, and they seem to be their downfall.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I really wouldn't be surprised to Mitsubishi Motors pull out of North America all together. All that's left in their line up is 3 cross overs and a 4 door smartcar.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
As the past owner of a 2012, no way would I purchase that vehicle. The earlier models of the FG are far more reliable, but the 2012 is a truck with heavy emissions equipment that can be a huge problem.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If not what do people think about this vehicle from B.C. Canada (please excuse my lack of knowledge):
  • 2012 MITSUBISHI FUSO FGB72S
  • 6 Spd Automatic
Speaking as an observer, as we do not have this configuration in Australia, personally I would be very reluctant to buy this model myself.
There have been continual issues reported with the emission systems and, as far as I remember, a 100% recall on the Duonic transmission.
The lack of a dedicated low range can limit the capability of the vehicle in 4x4 situations, compared to earlier manual models that had a transfer case.
Having said all of this, there are some owners of this model that report minimal issues or limitations, but from what I have seen, they are in the minority.

It really comes down to what you want to do with the vehicle and where you want to go.
In my opinion, for what it's worth, I don't see the FGB72 as being a reliable expedition vehicle platform, but I am sure others may disagree.

billiebob

So they made a 5 year committment for parts and service. The question is how many parts will be available thru wrecking yards. How hard will it be to ship parts from offshore. I'll buy it is a great platform, the question is are you willing to wait for and pay more for parts. To me the Fuso just aged 20 years. And the price, depreciation should reflect that. it is still a great platform.

billiebob

Speaking as an observer, as we do not have this configuration in Australia,

In my opinion I don't see the FGB72 as being a reliable expedition vehicle platform, but I am sure others may disagree.

WOW !!!!

I've never seen this vehicle before but wait for it..... let me slag the ******** out of it......

WOW !!!

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
There is a "depends" on this.
FUSO offered and in some cases where required to retro certain model years (including 2012) DPF / DEF systems to 2017+ model standards this work could include cylinder head to tail pipe and every thing in between. Troublesome gearboxes replaced, many thousands of dollars in work and materials typically done at FUSO expense. Trucks that have had these upgrades have proven to be excellent and sort after . There is a world of difference between a standard 2012 and 2017+ FUSO FG.

Lance

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Absolutely on the "depends" part, Lance.

Much of this will also depend on what state you reside in, if you're in the U.S.A. Since I was a resident of California, there was no way I could get the DPF/DEF recall work done to bring the chassis up to the 2017+ standard. CARB refused to license the recommended upgrades by FUSO. The Federal EPA had no issue with it, and had approved it, but CARB has their own standards and testing requirements, and for some reason FUSO and CARB just couldn't seem to come to an agreement. At least that's the story I was told by everyone from dealer level, up to regional level. If the vehicle has had the upgrades, and they operate as the newer models do - then it might be a good vehicle to base a build upon. I'm sure the new owners of my old EC have had the work done, I'm pretty sure that the state they reside in has no issues and follows EPA guidelines instead of CARB.

Ross310

There is a "depends" on this.
FUSO offered and in some cases where required to retro certain model years (including 2012) DPF / DEF systems to 2017+ model standards this work could include cylinder head to tail pipe and every thing in between. Troublesome gearboxes replaced, many thousands of dollars in work and materials typically done at FUSO expense. Trucks that have had these upgrades have proven to be excellent and sort after . There is a world of difference between a standard 2012 and 2017+ FUSO FG.

Lance

Fuso did this to our 2012 and it has been running great ever since the recall.

haven

Expedition Leader
Earthcruiser plans a transition from Fuso to Chevrolet 4500 cab-forward chassis, powered by 6.0L gas V8. Since Chevy doesn't offer a front drive axle in its medium trucks, Earthcruiser will employ a custom setup of their design.

skippythedog

Observer
Speaking from experience (2002 Fuso FG) all my support and parts have been from non-factory sources (<$$) and those independent sources will be around forever. I certainly don't see any other factory options for a 4x4 cabover truck in the US, and the FG is a proven platform (especially the 2007 and prior models). It is too bad that Mitsubishi did not stay with the 2007 and before engine, transmission, 2-speed transfer case here in the US. But that probably would not have met the new emission standards, and they seem to be their downfall.

Haaaay!.....Could you publish a list of some of your non factory parts sources pulleeze? Thx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles