show me your flex

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
No offense meant at all but that is because of the type of trails you drive.

The basic fundamentals of offroading are based on traction and keeping a wheel on the ground. Horse power, gearing, tire size, ect ect ect all come after this. Which is why suspension flex and some lockers will take you farther than any other mods hands down. Oh and clearance helps more than most things too since dragging and scraping stuff under your truck often = damage. Again, no offense meant but all of which your Rover fails at miserably.

Cheers

I would completely disagree. I have zero desire to own one and dont think they are near the offroad vehicle that many others are. Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, 4runner, FJ, Frontier...Plenty more I would take offroad before an LR3

Sounds like you've never driven a newer Land Rover. No point in having great flex and open diffs if one of the tires you have on the ground has no weight on it, it'll still spin. If you can drive, the Lr3/Lr4 will get you many places every comparable vehicle won't.

I would be interested to see a Grand Cherokee, 4runner, FJ, and frontier compared to an LR4. Wrangler will have the upper hand with clearance and approach/departure most likely.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Sounds like you've never driven a newer Land Rover. No point in having great flex and open diffs if one of the tires you have on the ground has no weight on it, it'll still spin. If you can drive, the Lr3/Lr4 will get you many places every comparable vehicle won't.

I would be interested to see a Grand Cherokee, 4runner, FJ, and frontier compared to an LR4. Wrangler will have the upper hand with clearance and approach/departure most likely.

They all have better ground clearance actually. The approach and departure are all close, but the low ground clearance kills the breakover angle and will leave you high centered.

I would never buy a vehicle with open diffs, so having the increased ground clearance and extra flex coupled with limited slip or locking diffs (any I would own would have), leaves the LR3 the only one lacking. I am not saying they are not good or capable, but to say they are tops right out of the box is inappropriate.

Scott39

Adventurer
:sombrero:My stock 95' Cummins Diesel will beat all those rigs on any trail, and pull the huge camping trailer back home at 75mph without any computers to fail me.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Back to pictures though...

Old IFS flex

Rear dropping

Not the greatest flex, but has improved and hopefully continues as the truck evolves.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
No offense meant at all but that is because of the type of trails you drive.

The basic fundamentals of offroading are based on traction and keeping a wheel on the ground. Horse power, gearing, tire size, ect ect ect all come after this. Which is why suspension flex and some lockers will take you farther than any other mods hands down. Oh and clearance helps more than most things too since dragging and scraping stuff under your truck often = damage. Again, no offense meant but all of which your Rover fails at miserably.

Cheers

They all have better ground clearance actually. The approach and departure are all close, but the low ground clearance kills the breakover angle and will leave you high centered.

I would never buy a vehicle with open diffs, so having the increased ground clearance and extra flex coupled with limited slip or locking diffs (any I would own would have), leaves the LR3 the only one lacking. I am not saying they are not good or capable, but to say they are tops right out of the box is inappropriate.

I wouldn't say they are tops, but without having used one and seeing the locking center/rear diff work in conjunction with the traction control is nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the air suspension setup has the ability to make up for lack of ground clearance, being able to lower the wheels a certain amount in high-centered situations.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
But apologies for continuing the derailment of this thread.. my D2 probably has less flex than an LR3, not for long though.

FSAyf5d.jpg

hCHjbSV.jpg

Attachments

• hCHjbSV.jpg
    hCHjbSV.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 47

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
fun stuff

So I don't really stop and pose for flex shots anymore, but here are a few from Moab recently. Needless to say, it was flexing pretty good to get up this.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 46
This torsion bar system up front really hampers my flex.

IMG_1398.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 68

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Is that Cleghorn Trail? Looks like a northwest view along the San Andreas Fault trace in one of your pics, overlooking Lost Lake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne