Show me your sleeping set up in a RRC

Funrover

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have slept in the Rover a few times and have plans for a couple 2 - 4 day runs this summer. I was just curious what others have done for sleeping in back

Thanks

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
When I had my classic I simply put the tailgate down, threw in a pad and sleeping bag and that was it. This is one of the many reasons I preferred my RRC to my Disco. Kinda tough to sleep in the back of a disco, I have done it but wont do it again.

dallasrover

Adventurer
Hey Funrover how is it going? A double size air mattress will fit perfect, leave the gate down and close the upper window and it's nice and cozy.

michaels

Explorer
I know what your thinking Richard, your thinking when will I just shut up and buy another classic:D

in my disco (well...DII) i built a cargo box thast's even with the seats folded flat. push the front seats all the way forward. a twin air mattress fits perfectly.

who said DIs or always better than DIIs...:victory:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I leave the upper gate open and tarp the back.... I am tempted to make the back more comfortable. Right now I lay down sleeping pads and such!

azarmadillo

Adventurer
I take the rear seats out, move the front seats all the way forward and I just fit. Add an air mattress and sleeping bag and I'm good.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Those are pretty sweet, and I had thoughts of making the Rover a pop top but I am hoping to stay really simple for now.

RoverDude

Explorer
Interior Bed & Storage / Rack Elimination

I prefer to sleep inside my truck. It eliminates the need to set up a tent (especially at night) and keeps me very safe from the elements. Since I have a LWB (Long Wheelbase), I take full advantage of it. This was a quick and dirty prototype of an idea I have been thinking of. Another reason for this set up is to eliminate the need for a roof rack. If the greatest expense on a trip is fuel and I can cut back on that expense, great.

First, I pulled the rear seats and put together a floor plan. Behind the front seats in the foot wells went the ARB fridge/freezer and a medium sized cooler. In the cargo area went a collection of gear (Photo shows tire to the left, I actually put the spare in the middle with cases on each corner). The gear consisted of the spare tire, 4 cases of necessary stuff (recovery gear, tire changing tools, spare parts, etc.) and other misc goods wedged in between the cases (dog food, water, large containers of fluid). This idea has been in my head since I realized the height of my cases and the width of the spare were nearly identical. Lastly, I placed my air tank & bracket in an appropriate spot in the rear left corner of the cargo area and tacked it in.

I selected a nice sheet of birch plywood at Home Depot. Cut it long enough to reach the coolers, but allowing me to open them without any blockage. As the width of the plywood was perfect, I only had to notched the sheet of wood for the air tank. I stapled 2 pieces of existing cargo area carpet to the top of the plywood. Then attached a Mac's Custom Tie-Down Anchor Plates on each wheel well and secured the front portion of the floor with a ratchet strap. I picked up a queen size piece of 2" 4lb memory foam. Cut them into 2 equal sizes and had them covered. That serve as my mattress. Any additional items like my duffel bag, fold out lounge chair, blankets and portable grill will sit on top of the bed with the dog while on the road. When arriving to camp those things will be pulled out and set up. Giving me a very nice and comfortable bed at night. Eventually, I will cut the sheet of wood adding a hinge in the middle allowing me to fold the front portion back flat and re-install the back seats.

Attachments

• interiorBed.JPG
    interiorBed.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 319
  • interiorBed (3).JPG
    interiorBed (3).JPG
    750.5 KB · Views: 306
  • P1011698.JPG
    P1011698.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 298

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
There are some photos of the interior of a Rangie in THIS page :)
Wow, that is pretty impressive. I wonder what it would be like to sit adn eat at that table in the Rangie. I'm amazed at how many can fit, but I'd like to see it with people in it to see how cramped it would be. I love the kettle/stove that flips open, that is some great use of space although I bet that center console would be interesting to drive around with. Or do you sit up really high in these trucks.

I still haven't seen all of terri-ann's site yet, I love that place, so much to read about. Nice link.

Cheers

Dave

mike h

Adventurer
We keep it very simple: we got a thick sleeping pad from Cabela's (the deluxe camp bed, 48 x 78 x 3 @$119.) and a Yakima Rocket Box for the roof. The sleeping pad is dense foam that is quite comfy. We keep it laid out with some blankets on top, and a bag with the soft stuff - sleeping bags and clothes, plus anything else you want handy during the day.

We put the rest of the gear up top in the box. That way we can carry all the junk we want ion the roof, and have a nice bed in the back, without building a semi-permanent wooden deck and drawers. Kind of the opposite of a RTT; sleep inside, stow all the gear on the roof.

We have an 80 series Land Cruiser, so I'm not sure exactly how the interior size compares, but we unbolt the back seats so it's one big open space. The Yak Box isn't exactly hardcore expedition quality, but it's easy and it works well. This set-up also makes interstate drives easy when you want to make time/distance, pull over at a rest area at 2am and crawl in the back for 5 hours of sleep, wake up and keep moving. Totally stealth for parking lot or side-road camping.

We haven't bought one yet, but those liftgate/tailgate tents would be nice for use in the woods. And we also carry a backpacking tent in case the opportunity arises to pitch a tent in a sweet spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz