show me your storage for extra/access cabs?

dustboy

Explorer
I'd like to build a platform behind the front seats for Scout to sit on, he isn't very comfortable back there with all the humps in the floor. Underneath could be a fair amount of storage, I'm thinking even shovel, hi-lift and recovery/emergency gear.
Anybody done anything like this? Or made better use of the space in general?

njtaco

Explorer
Check out BajaTaco's website and truck build. IIRC, he has a platform with integrated speaker enclosures.

Here it is:

LINK

Edited to add: I just checked out your picassa link...nice rig. I'll have to spend some more time there soon. I like many of the ideas you have had.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Before I took my brief trip to the Great Basin last October (with the dog) I made a simple platform for her to sit on. Worked great. I just used a 4' long piece of plywood about 19" deep, and then two pieces of 1x3 about 6 5/8" long for the "legs" in front. Covered the whole thing in all weather carpet. It stays in the truck all the time now, much easier to keep things on the flat platform than on the "back seats" :rolleyes:

skysix

Adventurer
Xtra cab shelf

Took some 1/2" ply and made a shelf about 1" below the top of the 60/40 bench seat in a GM 3/4T, stripped the rear "seats" out and made another shelf of 3/4" ply as a cargo shelf that sat about 3" above the highest point in the floor. Supported both shelves with 2x2's (shelves stiffened with 3/4" ply x 1 1/2" 'beams' at front and rear edges).

Covered 2" closed cell foam pads for both (cut to fit the truck contours) with wool blankets. Velcro on underside of upper shelf to attach lower pad when not in use and shelf needed for cargo/tools ets. Lower shelf piano hinged 2" from rear edge so could lift for access to small tools etc underneath. Also cut a hatch with a hinged lid in the middle of the top shelf so when the bottom was used as storage could reach through and access a cooler etc. (if the pad was flipped foreward against the back of the front seat) or documents etc (if the pad was velcroed up to the top shelf).

But then you had to 'discuss' with the dogs over who got to eat the snacks...

Added a tailgate net with fastex buckles securely riveted to cab and shelf front edge. Would fit 2 huskies and stop them from becoming interior hood ornaments (they loved to stick their noses in the airflow at the windshield and make clear sight lines through the glass impossible due to doggie nose prints)

With seat forward you could slide into the rear lower shelf for a nap - if you were short, but usually the dogs got that spot. @ adults could then nap on the bench seat and the shelf. Very usefull on long drives on highways like the Dempster / Alaska Hwy / Mckenzie and other remote northern roads with few fuel stations open when you needed them - could just pull in and sleep while awaiting opening. Or on the side (just off usually) the road with the engine idling to keep warm at -40...

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Cleo approved
Check out the rest of the pics here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11462

262083402_Z5MRa-M.jpg

262083444_4mB4m-M.jpg

Last edited:

dustboy

Explorer
Crikey Cabesa, that's some tight work. I've started on a similar solution, but a little more quick-and-dirty so I'm ready for this weekend. I'm hoping to provide a spot for my recovery gear, pretty sure I can squeeze my hi-lift, shovel and come-along in there...Optimistic? Stay tuned.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Crikey Cabesa, that's some tight work. I've started on a similar solution, but a little more quick-and-dirty so I'm ready for this weekend. I'm hoping to provide a spot for my recovery gear, pretty sure I can squeeze my hi-lift, shovel and come-along in there...Optimistic? Stay tuned.

Thanks, the dog likes it!

phlyphishers

Extra Cab Storage Pic's

Thanks, the dog likes it!

We're interested in finding some extra cab storage ideas/pic's that are lightweight, durable and easy to remove.
We are currently using 2 plastic 4 drawer upright units from Walmart and even though they are lightweight and portable, they are flimsy. (We started with the 4 drawer unit and removed one of the top drawers to reduce the height.) Each unit now has 2 large drawers on the bottom and 1 small drawer up top. The height is 20", the width is 12.5", and the depth is 14". (We are both over 6' 2" so the units must be less than 14" deep to provide adequate leg room in the already tight Tacoma extra cab cabin.) The cooler lives on the other side.
This system was a quick fix for a weekend outing but if I can find something better I would gladly trade up.
Any pic's would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert and Charlene

Boggie

Dog den

I had a crude platform in my old 99 Taco so I vowed I'd make a proper place for the dogs to travel. Taking out all of the various extras takes some time patience. I removed the plastic lids to the storage bins that house the jack to give the most level platform to build from. Two sheets of quarter inch MDF laminated together once the hatches were cut out. I used some pine boards to support the platform and cut arches out of them so I could stow and axe and small shovel under the seat and into the rear. Two Rubbermaid boxes fit perfect in the area under the platform nice. Heavy rubber backed carpet cut to fit gives the hounds something to grip on and lay on when the road is smooth.
It is light and simple.
Regards
Bill

Attachments

• taco3driverhatch.jpg
    taco3driverhatch.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 141
  • tacorearpassenger.jpg
    tacorearpassenger.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 112
  • taco4bin.jpg
    taco4bin.jpg