Side ladders are stupid: CHANGE MY MIND

Paddy

Adventurer
When I had a ladder on the back of my van I thought, well that makes sense. But side ladders seem popular. But why? They seem like they would block vision and get caught on branches. What’s the reasoning there?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
For folks with side opening boxes (skis, etc), the side ladder is pretty easy access. My preference would be for a rear mounted platform/box, with rear ladder. Working around the doors can be a pain though.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Rear ladders mounted to doors always screw the doors up eventually. Too much stress on the door/hinges. They also kill space that can be used for other things (spare tire, cargo box, etc) I've had one on my DD for years, don't even notice it.

Aluminess is the only one making an attractive affordable (some may argue that, understandable) ladder that isn't a cheesy conversion van style that mounts to the rear door.

Change you mind??? Probably not! Ha. Put a ladder wherever it works for you :)

Corneilius

Adventurer
Love my side ladder for all its other functions too. Makes a great pantry when we are set up, great place to hook dog leashes, store bungee cords etc. Its right next to my barn door table, adds extra "counter space"

Paddy

Adventurer
I don’t see how a rear ladder could ruin any hinges at all, especially if the door sill is making contact with the door bottom pad. I dunno, maybe some vans have weak hinges but the sprinter hinges seem plenty strong. Low profile side ladder that you can deploy would be cool

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I don’t see how a rear ladder could ruin any hinges at all, especially if the door sill is making contact with the door bottom pad. I dunno, maybe some vans have weak hinges but the sprinter hinges seem plenty strong. Low profile side ladder that you can deploy would be cool

The sprinter hinges and body attach points are quite robust (they need to be with 270 degree doors). My 70lb spare tire has been mounted there for quite a while.

Anything waist height or below that sticks out on my van would probably have gotten smashed a few times...

Paddy

Adventurer
Well the Bloody Mary bar is quite cool. But if it’s been raked off by the miles of brush then that’s not going to be good for momma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94