Side ladders are stupid: CHANGE MY MIND

brp

Observer
I've got a ladder like this. It took zero time to install, I can access anywhere on my roof, it doesn't get caught on anything, I can lend it to people, I can use it against a tree, it was cheap, I can use it around the house, I can use it as a drying rack....I honestly can't see a single way a mounted ladder is better, possibly if you have zero storage available.

If you have a high roof, you would need four mounted ladders to tie down a canoe, instead of the one that I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CR3TFRA293RHZPFNJMGY

Raul

Adventurer
I've got a ladder like this. It took zero time to install, I can access anywhere on my roof, it doesn't get caught on anything, I can lend it to people, I can use it against a tree, it was cheap, I can use it around the house, I can use it as a drying rack....I honestly can't see a single way a mounted ladder is better, possibly if you have zero storage available.

If you have a high roof, you would need four mounted ladders to tie down a canoe, instead of the one that I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CR3TFRA293RHZPFNJMGY

How dare you bring something like this to an Expediton forum. That is practical and even common sense.

I have more room that I’ll never need inside my van and I’m working really hard to justify a roof rack... with ladders, lights...soo exposexual (thanks for the new word)

brp

Observer
How dare you bring something like this to an Expediton forum. That is practical and even common sense.

I have more room that I’ll never need inside my van and I’m working really hard to justify a roof rack... with ladders, lights...soo exposexual (thanks for the new word)

This will seem way off topic but......... I love the movie Stand By Me. The reason is because it captures so perfectly the beauty of the adolescent years. The world seemed so big, everything seemed so thrilling and magical, the most mundane occurrence could be made into a memorable event because of how you decided to perceive it and experience it.

So you know what? If the side ladder isn't the most practical, but makes you feel like you're on a virgin adventure, or conquering the world, or driving a mechanical Sherpa, or whatever you want to call what Stand By Me so perfectly captures.....the *****&in' get one! For most of us on this forum, the whole point is having fun and a sense of adventure. Practicality often has place high on life's priority list, maybe too high.....but I'm still going to be going with the telescoping ladder. My van's paint job is enough for me to get my fix.

Paddy

Adventurer
Well I’ll agree they do kinda look cool. But I can see from peoples experience that it depends somewhat on how you use your van. If you use it for actual adventures down actual trails and tight spaces, then the side ladder will eventually become a problem at some point. But if your van is more for show than go, or if is roof is accessed a lot for it’s particular purpose, and maybe tight trails are not an issue, then a side ladder could make sense.
I think for my adventure purposes it would get in the way. But maybe I can figure out something that serves the same purpose but doesn’t stick out?

dleeallen

Adventurer
Anyone remember seeing the side mount ladder that pivots at the top and has the ability to push in at the bottom? It pulls out to give more "toe" space for climbing the ladder and tucks in tight when not in use. I can't remember which company built it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corneilius

Adventurer
I just have to be extra careful when backing into a compact space at the mall. In all seriousness though I find broken branches under my solar panels way more often than I snag my side ladder. But im not going to get rid of my hightop or solar. Anything small enough to bend out of the way of my mirror isn't going to shear (5) 1/4" grade 8 bolts. Ladder position comes down purely to personal preference, just like the pop top/hightop debate

Attachments

• IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 60

luthj

Engineer In Residence
With a beefy backing plate, some of these bolt-on fold out steps could work?

41IMI87mzuL.jpg

https://amzn.to/2ScHgk4

dleeallen

Adventurer
I just saw hinge mounted steps for wranglers and thought that would be great on the side barn doors. Haven't looked at it to see if it would actually work though - that first step might be too high to bother with the idea. I do have a step that hooks to the door striker that helps for getting up to the roof. It's no ladder, but better than nothing.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Taking it even further, why not use rock climbing holds for a "ladder". If that's not hardcore, I don't know what is. As a plus would-be thieves would be unable to access your box!
bulk-climbing-holds-set.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles