Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yes you have to drill in the body.

If at all possible, I don't want to drill holes in my Jeep, so I designed the TJ and JK jerry can carriers in this thread to install without drilling. Also my preference is to use the carriers for different types of cans (jerry, NATO, Scepter) and ammo cans, so I wanted a more generic mount that can hold any style can rather than requiring a custom can.

But some people prefer the look of the Jeep Africa concept custom cans, so the one you've installed is a good solution for those people.

Jeep-Planet

There is one guy on this forum - Nikson. You can find a Wrangler LJ project in his profile and his custom made jerry can holders mounted on the rock sliders.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple of photos someone posted on another forum, this person installed the JK side mounts for his Rotopax containers...

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

JDaPP

Adventurer
P_20160424_170647_HDR.jpg
Thought I would share my weekend project. I found that the universal tray portion was a little too big in the garage here in California and I use them as my carriers for my rampage storage cans when camping. I took them on and off for awhile but as we approach camping season I wanted a more permanent solution. I used the Crown Jerry can holder ( http://www.rdmoffroad.com/jerry-can-mounting-bracket.aspx) and mounted it to the side mount panel. It sticks up a little bit, but good enough for my solution.

patsfan

Observer
I have heard that Retrofit Offroad ships very quickly, you'd have to ask them if they could do overnight.

I called retrofit offroad on Thursday and spoke to someone there about expedited shipping, he took my name and number and said he would get back to me with a quote, he never got back to me and I have since left 3 more messages and still no response.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I called retrofit offroad on Thursday and spoke to someone there about expedited shipping, he took my name and number and said he would get back to me with a quote, he never got back to me and I have since left 3 more messages and still no response.

That's odd, I've always heard Retrofit Offroad is very quick and responsive. Try emailing ryan.wertz@morryde.com, that's the company that manufactures them and they usually can ship pretty quickly too.

Heakle

Pipe clamped my Jerry can holders to the step/side rails. Had them on for almost 2 years. Pretty solid, didn't need to drill any holes in the body.
image.jpg

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
And 3600 miles through the Southwest last month. Again, real nice to have that extra five gallons available!

ctzDOtVl.jpg

I did have to weld up a crack in the mount after considerable use. Other than that, the carrier has worked very well, providing enough extra fuel for longer trips through some remote areas.

Regards, Guy

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And 3600 miles through the Southwest last month. Again, real nice to have that extra five gallons available!

ctzDOtVl.jpg

I did have to weld up a crack in the mount after considerable use. Other than that, the carrier has worked very well, providing enough extra fuel for longer trips through some remote areas.

Regards, Guy

Glad you like them!

I've got many NY-Colorado and NY-Utah trips on my pair, plus all the off-road miles when I get there. Probably more than 10,000 miles on them, and I only have them mounted for those trips, I take them off for daily driving. I'll be putting them on in a few days for a drive from NY to Flagstaff for Overland West.

MattJ

Adventurer
The side-mounted configuration from MORryde is GREAT for carrying a full 10-gallons of water or fuel without loading extra weight on the rear door hinges or taking up space on the roof rack (I've tried many alternatives). I installed my CB antenna quick-mount at the designated access point in the MORryde brackets. Since I change configurations several times a month, I installed four massive rivnuts on each side that enable me to mount or remove the bracket in 10 seconds with a drill and socket (NASCAR pit-crew style). I also cut one side of the brackets so I can use it to dispense 5-gallons of water from a spigot when at base camp.

y4mAcq8QyEF_SMwTb9sk2VG0sMEtjtyeBBfQ4Resm95EREV9ZQrwnibSftK2l9W2qgJoVhVO5QE8bn8cW5DZH5bbLVr_PD_1hxLMAZIVohH1QcR3WD03Wz9iz-wF2bPUClmFWqe8e20okegYTqBtDIjSZ-hZkN3-OIoWcPcs_5SXzxifLpK3SzvYWh4lVO_8ccGsrGdZMAbZPttBhLVzQqW7g

y4mPb2xcaqny3lJ1bLqqTRPssA-_uKzMuS2Fr7eevOlMxcLG9aTqU77axiVrhKhwaJ5qfvkFanFm1Fo1XBLWYvyCT4607ybgHarV_b0Y_kSck_nT6O2LikmquTi6OOhcoXX5q9-BJHURQH8y-8k6heAm98nVlNeVLzDaVJcbpq1X-C3naMkRoCVDViZ4yvR12FTAXh6uMgt_brXZEInZ859yw

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles