Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm working on a new design for a locking strap. It can lock jerry, NATO and Scepter containers in a range of holders. It's got a vinyl-coated wire rope for strength and so it doesn't scratch metal cans. It's got a wide range of adjustment through the slots in the strap plus the finer adjustment of the locking latch. In this first photo it's locking a jerry can in a low holder:

WireRopeProto1_zpsgvs208w2.jpg

It can also lock the caps of all 3 types on containers. Jerry and Scepter containers are locked as shown below, the wire rope engages the cap; it locks the caps of NATO containers by going over the lever mechanism. In this photo it's in the higher can holder as used on the JK side mount.

WireRopeProto1a_zpsits6sldd.jpg

All of the parts are either aluminum or stainless, and the wire rope is both coated in vinyl and galvanized, so it will be very resistant to the elements.

This first prototype has shown the need for a few improvements to the initial design, so next I'll make a few additional prototypes for testing which incorporate those improvements.

jgaz

Adventurer
Looks good!
I would be interested in a link to the latch you used (unless of course you intend to market this idea).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The early prototype works very well so if a company is interested in them I may turn them over for production after I make and test a few of the improved version.

The latches are available from a number of industrial hardware suppliers like Moore Industrial Hardware, but I found the ones for these prototypes on eBay.

Toobroke1

I'm working on a new style locking strap, here's a photo of the first prototype. It will work with jerry, NATO and Scepter containers in a range of holders. It's got a wide range of adjustment through the slots in the strap and the finer adjustment in the locking catch.

WireRopeProto1_zpsgvs208w2.jpg

It can secure the caps on all 3 types on containers, in this photo it's locking the cap of a jerry can. It locks Scepter containers the same way and it locks NATO containers by going over the lever mechanism of the cap.
jscherb, I like the looks of this strap, but I am having a hard time finding the multi slotted strap and fittings/hardware from the wire rope to the adjustable toggle. Where are you finding them or are you fabricating them?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
jscherb, I like the looks of this strap, but I am having a hard time finding the multi slotted strap and fittings/hardware from the wire rope to the adjustable toggle. Where are you finding them or are you fabricating them?
I fabricated all of the parts from 16-gauge stainless steel sheet, except:

- Vinyl-coated wire rope: Tractor Supply.
- The stainless locking latches I found on eBay, but are available from multiple industrial hardware suppliers, like Moore Industrial.
- The clamps closing the loops on the wire rope I got from Home Depot, although I only planned to use them on these first proof-of-concept straps because they attach with screws so they're not secure - I'm changing those in the final version, stay tuned.

Should have final versions done in a few days, will post photos then.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made a few changes to the new locking strap design, here's a prototype incorporating the changes.

WireRopeProto2_zps2ke7obs3.jpg

It works with Scepter, NATO and US Jerry cans, and with all 3 can lock the cap or not as desired.

WireRopeProto2a_zpsudadtppv.jpg

It also works with multiple height trays, I tested it with all three of these...

WireRopeProto2b_zpsd65sebia.jpg

Next comes some serious testing in use on the road and the trail.

OregonJKU

Hello Jeff, we purchased the jerry can mount, and are now attempting the install. We don't understand how to move the fender to install the j-nut, even after removing the fender bolts. It appears that the fender needs to be moved more than slightly to get the j-nut installed. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Claire

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, disregard the above post. With a bit more prying we got the nut installed.
Sorry I wasn't near my computer for the last few hours and couldn't answer until now. Usually you only have to move the fender out about 1/4" or so to get enough clearance to slip the j-nut on, loosening the fender bolts and prying the fender out gently with something that won't scratch the paint (a piece of wood or plastic) will usually do the trick.

OregonJKU

Hi Jeff, we got the mount installed along with the tall jerry can tray. We suggest a couple of improvements: 1. You are already addressing, a better jerry can strap, and 2. There should be a gasket where the mount attaches to the windshield bracket to prevent rubbing. We cut a piece of the provided self adhesive rubber mat. We are very happy with the mount. Thank you for getting it available for the public.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, we got the mount installed along with the tall jerry can tray. We suggest a couple of improvements: 1. You are already addressing, a better jerry can strap, and 2. There should be a gasket where the mount attaches to the windshield bracket to prevent rubbing. We cut a piece of the provided self adhesive rubber mat. We are very happy with the mount. Thank you for getting it available for the public.

Thank you for the input.

The provided ratchet strap holds the can very securely, but as you know it doesn't lock. Based on the fairly low number of people who have asked for locking straps, it doesn't seem to me like it's worth increasing the cost of the base product by providing a more expensive locking strap with the product, but if there's enough interest and demand in having a locking strap like the one I posted about this morning, perhaps one could be offered as an option. I've done several locking strap designs over the years, and posted about all of them, and it never seems to me that there's enough interest to push one into production.

I have heard of a few people adding a gasket where you added one, but I have not heard of any reports of scratching the paint at that location without a gasket installed, and in the dozens of times mine have been on and off during testing and the many road and trail miles I've done with mine I've never had any scratching either. I will pass your suggestion to the company though.

Thanks again for the input and I hope you enjoy them.
jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, OK we'll look for our own solution for a way to lock the can. Thank you again.
You'll find holes in the mount that accept a hardware-store u-bolt (u-bolts to fit are available in stainless):

BikeLock2_zpsowsldguq.jpg

Then a bike lock (or similar) can be run through the can handle and the u-bolt:

BikeLock5_zpsldywgewg.jpg

Inexpensive and easy to implement.

If you do find a locking strap you like though, please post about it here.

OregonJKU

Hi Jeff, yes we are looking at doing something similar but we have not found a u-bolt that will fit using the existing holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94