Sierra Expeditions 5th Gen 4Runner Build

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
In June we got a good deal on a 4runner we just could not pass up, so out with the Honda Pilot, and in with something with 4wd. It had just shy of 54k on the odometer, and had everything we wanted, except that is black in color. Here is our starting point:

15%2B-%2B42

Vehicle info: 2013 4Runner Trail Edition.

List of modifications (links to posts):

Just around the corner:
  • Skid plates
  • Rear Bumper
  • Lighting
  • RTT and Awning

I will try and keep a current picture of the 4Runner here:

15%2B-%2B5

Last edited:

flyingwil

de-chroming the badges

First thing I did was get rid of the chrome. With it being a black truck, I wanted to keep a bit of the contrast with the badges and opted to use Duplicolor Matte Graphite Metallic Custom Wrap Removable Coating in lieu of the typical Plasti-dip coating. Iopted for this color because it also ties into the Methood wheels as well. The process is the same in applying, just opened a larger selection of color options.

15%2B-%2B32

For the rear I did no want to pick off the badges to coat so I opted to mask off and peel.

15%2B-%2B30

I did a total of 8 coat to ensure a smooth peel off... Here is what it looks like 8 coats later:

15%2B-%2B21

While removing the masking, the wrap starts to come off with it as well.

15%2B-%2B19

For the small area's inside the Toyota logo I used a toothpick to remove the unwanted wrap...

gOKLBrzWn0zDDo-ojlO5nfSI1AiremJWga59k_-0Qt_i=s800

Over all it came out pretty good, and it was well worth the $9 for the can of wrap.

Like everything else it always looks better dirty:
15%2B-%2B12

Last edited:

flyingwil

Wheels & Tires

In order to avoid running wheel spacers, new wheels were in order. We chose the new(er) Methood MR307 Hole Magnesiums.

15%2B-%2B4

Since this was a great time, and with the wheels off we added Monster Valves from PowerTank. This will allow for rapid inflation and deflation right at the valve stem. Since the 4Runner is also a daily driver, we opted to keep the TPMS and mounted the Monster Valves directly across from the OE stem.

15%2B-%2B2

I just need to source a cap so that it doesn't protrude from the wheel as much.

We wrapped the wheels in 255/80R17 Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX tires.

15%2B-%2B1

Last edited:

flyingwil

Lift Kit

We're anxiously awaiting the new OME BP-51's, so for now we're running the Nitrocharger Sport kit untill they release the BP-51's for the 4Runner.

Front:
  • Camburg UCA's
  • 2887 Coil Springs
  • 90010 Nitrocharger Sport front struts
  • OME95PF5 trim packer (corrects trim with KDSS)

Rear:
  • 2898 Heavy Load Coils
  • 60081 Nitrocharger Shocks
  • OME661 stone guards

15%2B-%2B41

15%2B-%2B38

15%2B-%2B43

Quick Picture from our test run:
15%2B-%2B7

Last edited:

flyingwil

ARB Bumper & Warn Zeon

Next it was time to install the ARB front Bull Bar fitted with a Zeon winch. I will not bore you with the 70+ steps to install the bumper and winch, just hit on some key points...

15%2B-%2B14

When mounting the bumper, we use two 5-gallon buckets to be able to mount the winch to as seen here. We were worried about the Zeon's control pack not fitting and have it removed in this picture for test fitting.

15%2B-%2B13

Also note that we clocked the winch to allow for the clutch lever to be reached easily through the ARB bar.

15%2B-%2B1

We're using the Warn Zeon 10-s and with the ARB we opted to go for a roller fairlead with Daystar rollers.

15%2B-%2B2

With the Warn Zeon control pack mounted near the core support we added an extension, and mounted it to the driver's side wing.

15%2B-%2B3

15%2B-%2B4

Last edited:

flyingwil

Warn Zeon 10-s Rope Installation

We've gotten some calls about how to get the synthetic rope on the drum in the new Zeon winches. What we found was that using a zip tie works about 60% of the time. One of the common mistakes we hear about over the phone is attaching the zip tie tightly DO NOT DO THIS:

15%2B-%2B8

DO NOT over tighten Zip tie

Warn has a nice video here:

If only it were as easy as they show in the video. We found that by using a bit of water to lubricate the rope line, (by dipping the attaching loop in a cup of water) it helps the winchline slide through the drum a bit easier. We then use bailing wire (so we do not have to worry about the zip-tie breaking) and attach the bailing wire to a wrench or similar to pull the cable through enough to insert the anchor puck and seat the whinchline.

15%2B-%2B6

15%2B-%2B4

Last edited:

flyingwil

Quite the rapid fire build thread! The truck looks awesome. Can't wait to see the rest.

Agreed; it kind of has to be that way, especially with suspension components dependent upon the weight of the vehicle. We're trying to build it up in between customer builds.

Last edited:

MTaco

Adventurer
So far so good! Must be nice having an endless parts supply :sombrero: Can't wait to see the rest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94