Silverado 3500 4x4 - Flatbed Alaskan Mountain Roamer

HNewman

Have you ever looked at a camper and thought; "i would do that a little differently"?

Well this is the story of exactly that. This is my idea of how a camper could be a home built on the back of a four wheel drive truck.

LUf7SKY.jpg

We can start back at the beginning and cover a few brief reasons why I am going down this road. I have spent a lot of time on the road living in various trucks and vans including some I customized for the task. I love to be able to pick up and spend time living out of my vehicle and maybe the only thing I love more is repairing and modifying the vehicles themselves.

What makes my needs unique? I spend my winters in the mountains and currently I live in Alaska. I want to have serious insulation and enough space for full time winter living. This package also needs to ride on a 4x4 for convenient winter travel.

Well 4x4 sprinter vans and true four season truck campers don't come cheap and still require so serious work and money to keep warm when the temperature dips below 0 for days at a time. After a lot of thought and searching I decided to start with a flatbed truck and build my own camper permanently fixed to the bed.

Here is what decided to start with

8pp8EjI.jpg

QxefPPT.jpg

Although it had been sitting mostly unused for a few years this would clean up to be a perfect truck. The 2001 Silverado 3500HD with the 8.1L Vortec V8 and Allison 1000 transmission. This is an awesome drive line for my needs. The gas engine will start up on extremely cold mornings without a block heater, allows for more payload than diesel, and costs less to maintain. I believe this is a common engine and transmission combination on factory built motor homes as well. The truck had been in the same family as a work vehicle since new.

The truck will be getting some modifications of its own but taking advantage of a dry spring here in south central Alaska I decided to get started on reconditioning the flatbed next.

Last edited:

HNewman

Refinishing the flatbed

The truck cab and frame were in excellent condition but the flatbed was ready to be cleaned and refinished. After many hours on the angle grinder I cleaned every inch of the steel flatbed frame.

HomlAlJ.jpg

Also discovered the bed was made by Stahl

hx1K3Kl.jpg

Part of the bed was painted where the camper will be mounted as well as the outer rail. The rest I coated in oil and left unfinished for now.

vdGtR46.jpg

The underside of the camper will rest on these shims which take the place of the factory wood deck but most support comes from the outer rail which the frame will mount to. Loosing that old wood deck will save some weight.

FCUUab2.jpg

With the bed cleaned up it was time for my first load of building supplies.

eF9VNUh.jpg

Stay tuned and I will explain my framing and how the camper is mounted

h9YEigg.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Should be a fun build, I'll watch from Southcentral also ?. You going with wood heat?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Good powertrain, the second best GM big block/trans combo ever, the best is one with the 6 speed Allison. Looking forward to your build.

HNewman

Before the frame was mounted on the flatbed I took advantage of the extra space to swap on some Rancho Rs9000xl shocks. They hold more fluid than the factory shocks and are adjustable. I suspect I will have them on the highest setting all the time.

m5TBKJl.jpg

zpz7u40.jpg

Along with these shocks I plan to install Timberns in place of the bump stops. From there I will road test and decide if the suspension will require more improvement.

HNewman

Next step was to frame the camper

LsfEswe.jpg

This process took a little over one month. First I built the floor which was reinforced for mounting to the flatbed frame and fully filled with insulation. I framed all the walls on the ground and had a few friends help me lift them into place on the floor. The roof was built in place and skinned with 3/8" plywood.

SgqPJfk.jpg

Odtu9v3.jpg

You will notice I have notched a lot of bracing into the frame of the walls.

huivWb8.jpg

This is going to be a very heavy frame. The idea is to leave space for some serious insulation and have enough strength to handle heavy snow loads. I will have to cut weight in other areas of the design to compensate for the heavy wood frame.

EtWcfvK.jpg

Tgbm8X5.jpg

Main floor 8'x10'
Cabover 5'x8'
Floor to Celing 7'
Total Height 11'

Ghfalls

Are you planning any extra reinforcement where the jacks will be located? What exterior siding are you going to do? Looking good so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94