Simple and Capable - 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Build.

DesertFZJ80

Observer
CURRENT -

IMG_5885 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

Some of you might remember my '94 Land Cruiser build thread that was fairly popular on here back in 2014-2015. (50,000+ views)

Since then I had upgraded to a 2015 Tacoma Access Cab 4cyl 4WD, it was a great daily driver, extremely capable on the trail, affordable and great on gas. I soon realized as I ventured further north it really didn't do too great on power with a lot of weight in the back. About a year after owning it I stepped into my full time career and decided to upgrade once again. My dad took the '15 off my hands and I was extremely lucky to find a truck that had every option I wanted.

I ended up with a brand new 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4, White, Double cab, 6 speed manual. It was absolute luck finding this truck in March of '16, as most of you remember the Tacoma's could barely stay on the lot long enough to be test driven. It was hot off the delivery truck with all manufacturer stickers and paperwork still attached, I told the dealer I wanted the truck untouched and picked it up with 3 miles on it. This truck has gone through quite a few changes and I'm here to document them, share experience and post the fun I have along the way.

Fast forward about a year and a half, I've taken this thing all over the place, NorCal, SoCal, East Texas, Colorado, Northern Arizona. In its stock form I really didn't have any complaints, even seeing people on Tacomaworld list issues they were having and certain small recalls I have yet to have an issue (knock on wood).
My first mod was ditch light brackets from Relentless Fab and Rigid Dually pods to mate with them. At the same time I ordered bed bars from Relentless as well, I had them on my '15 and they served their purpose. To top it all off I added my Tepui 'Ayer' tent on top. This was my setup for about a year, I enjoyed having the tent below cab height and didn't notice much MPG loss.

Looking to get more serious with suspension in April of 2017, I opted for the Stage II kit from Icon. Coil-overs in the front and Remote reservoir shocks in the rear and with an Add-a-leaf. The install wasn't too bad, the worst part was knocking the rivet out of the factory leaf pack, with the right tools we got it all taken care of.

IMG_3015 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

IMG_3003 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

IMG_3006 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

IMG_3020 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

IMG_3025 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

At this point it was obviously time to upgrade wheels and tires. I wanted an aggressive sidewall without having loud and wobbly mud terrains and some all terrains were a little too 'street' looking for my taste even in 285. I chose to go with Toyo Open Country R/T in 285/75/16. With the wheels, I have always wanted a set of methods, love the clean but aggressive look they have. This combo triggered and all new era of Tacoma mods for me.

IMG_3049 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

IMG_3064 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

IMG_3068 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

Put my rack and tent setup back on and began to prep for my first long (for me) off-road trip to Ouray, CO. Ill get those up later tonight.

I'm gonna chop the thread here as to not clutter the first page, Thanks for reading and I look forward to frequenting expo again.

IMG_3456 by Austin Irwin, on Flickr

DesertFZJ80

Observer
More info on the 240SX in the background. SR swapped? Advan wheels?

Funny I just sold it not too long ago, bought it on craigslist for a beater drift missile. It still had the single jingle KA24e in it.. Kid that had it cracked the head at cyl #4 so I sealed it and drifted it on 3 cylinders. It was a super clean base model car from Alaska. Unfortunately the previous owner gave it the auto zone special so I made it my goal to grenade the drivetrain on track.

I sold it to fund my wide-body R32 Skyline project. I keep all the street car stuff up to date on Instagram @streetcraft.tv.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Yer talking to a Nissan head here. I built at least 15 SR swapped 240's and couple of Sunnys and a RB 510. My last 240 was a 97 240sx SE that I bought new off the lot, with a built black top swap. No expense spared. I drove it a for decade as a daily but decided to sell it when I left Florida for Utah. I miss it dearly when I'm carving canyon roads here in UT. I'll check out you IG. I'm going to buy a R32 since can be imported legally now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online