Simple RTT mattress solution

wvracer821

Observer
I got a 6” thick memory foam mattress from amazon for mine. The girlfriend and dog love

Edit. Just realized I already replied to this lol

Can you fold it up with the matress in place?

Yeah but it’s tight, really tight. I haven’t had any issues though. I had to beef up the straps on the sides to handle the resistance of compressing the mattress. If I had to do it again I would use a 4”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jb10

Yeah but it’s tight, really tight. I haven’t had any issues though. I had to beef up the straps on the sides to handle the resistance of compressing the mattress. If I had to do it again I would use a 4”

does this mattress fill the entire length of your rtt? how or what did you use to beef up the straps?

wvracer821

Observer

does this mattress fill the entire length of your rtt? how or what did you use to beef up the straps?

It comes up a little short. We just use the space for shoes and for the dog bed. To beef the straps I used a cheap pair of cinch straps cut to fit in place of the factory straps. A 4” mattress would be much less fuss

ArkansasDon

Observer
I had the same issue and came up with the same solution. Good but not great.

But recently I purchased a Exped 10 Duo. It is insanely comfortable. Plus, it has less bulk which make zipping ALL the bedding up much much easier. If you can swallow the cost of the Exped, it is well worth the price.
I done the same purchasing the Exped Duo 10 extra long extra wide queen. It is every bit as comfortable as my Tempurpedic home mattress. We used to wake up feeling sore & achy from that factory RTT mattress. What I like about the Exped is you can adjust it to your comfort level by a few pumps of air with the pump. Plus open the deflate valve & slowly close the RTT, it packs away perfectly w\o issues. Our bedding stays in place, open the tent, set camp while it self inflates, in 40 minutes a few pumps of air (the pump they enclose) & you have perfect night sleep every time. What's a dream is no more make shift remedies to the factory mattress which sucks. IMO it was worth every penny spent.

OregonJKU

What are the dimensions (length and width) of the Exped Duo 10 extra long extra wide queen? Also, do you place it on top of or below or in place of the RTT mattress?

ttengineer

Adventurer
You would think that RTT companies would collaborate with camping companies for quality mattresses like thermarest, Nemo, big Agnes, or exped. But for some reason they don’t.

I bet it will be another year and we will see tent companies offering RTTs now that Yakima makes one and partnered with polar on it too. Especially since Nemos partnership with AT seems to be doing well.

gmoneyluv

I had the same issue and came up with the same solution. Good but not great.

But recently I purchased a Exped 10 Duo. It is insanely comfortable. Plus, it has less bulk which make zipping ALL the bedding up much much easier. If you can swallow the cost of the Exped, it is well worth the price.

We've been using the Exped 10 Duo for about three years. Worth the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles