Simple set up for CPAP?

ohmyback

Hello, I am trying to design a simple auxiliary battery set up for my wife's CPAP. I know my machine will allow use with an adapter. I would run the machine without heater or humidifier. I am thinking one AGM battery with a Harbor Freight 100 watt solar panel kit that includes the 10 amp controller. I do not need anything elaborate yet. If she has a good experience may want to expand later.
Anyone have any experience with the Harbor Freight 100 watt $199.00 unit?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
First, buy a kill-a-watt. Zero it out, and run the cpap for a night connected to it. The reading in kW is your rough energy consumption. From there its easy to figure out what size of battery and solar panel you need.

Better to know what you need upfront, than guessing, and possibly spending more than you need.

A pretty good (and probably over sized) setup would be 2x GC2 duracell batteries, and a 200W solar array.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I assume the docs have tried the oral mouthpiece on you? I've got moderate(10 episodes/hr) without the mouthpiece . Wearing it cut those episodes in half.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
My Devilbiss Intellipap CPAP runs on 12V so no converter needed, and uses 1.3 amps (no humidifier) according to the manufacturer. I just run mine off of the vehicle battery, never had a problem starting after an overnight, but I carry a little lithium jump starter as backup.

Steve_P

One G31 East Penn deep cycle battery, 100 watt solar panel and Renogy controller runs my Resmed S9 and everything else in the pop up camper for up to 7 days at a time. The only reason I limit it to 7 days is because we haven't stayed in one place longer than that so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94