Simple table for military trailers without a tailgate

slosurfer

Adventurer
I thought I would share my little table I made for my trailer, keep in mind it needs some refining but figured all the amazing folks here could take the idea and really run with it. I just copied this from my m416 build over on ultimateyota
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=633.0
Really not much there that isn't already covered and it is going at a snail's pace.:arabia:

As was stated earlier, these trailers dont' have a tailgate. Not a big deal, but I really missed a tailgate to use as a table. I set out to make something to use as a "kitchen" to hold a stove, lantern, and some real estate for prepping meals. I had in mind that I could make something that would hang off the sides and or back of the trailer. I had little $$$ at this time so it was going to get interesting. The criteria was that it's width was no greater than the height of the trailer sides, that way it could be stored on its side for ease of removeing and not takeing up much room. The other criteria were weight and the ability for adjustment as if it was used on the sides it would need to hang higher and sit on the fender, but on the rear it needed to hang lower for stability and the perfect height.

As I always do when I want to try to make something from scratch, I headed over to my grandfather's storage shed. He has collected all sorts of stuff over the years and with some imagination you can build some cool stuff, plus he likes seeing it used. I knew I could build the table out of wood but that would be pretty heavy, I was thinking I might be able to find some sheet metal or something and just build the frame out of wood. I ended up finding an old highway sign (grandpa used to work for Caltrans and was part of building PCH from here up to Big Sur), it was very close to the right length and the aluminum would be easy to cut down to width. To top it off, the frame was u channel aluminum. I removed the frame, and cut the actual sign down to the dimensions I needed. Next I chopped up the frame and was able to reuse it. Now I had a super light sturdy table! I painted it with my left over wheel paint. :D

I put some eyebolts through the table and frame and ran some chain through them and attached back to the chain with some clips. The other side of the chain is attached to some ubolts I had that I bent into a hook like shape that hooks onto the rail of the trailer. By moving the clips I can control the length of the chain and this gave me my ability to adjust it for the rear of side of the trailer. After useing it, I really don't see why I will use it on the sides, it sits perfect off the back and leaves the sides free to reach everything. Once I get a welder, I will weld a couple small brackets for the table to hook to rather than hooking over the edge like it does now.

IMG_4321.jpg

it is a little crooked in this pic
IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

here is how it is stored, stood on its side right next to the truck box that I no longer have.
IMG_4324.jpg

I also found a wire shelf that I cut down to the width of the trailer. You can barely see it in the pics, but the hooks actually loop through it and pin it to the rail of the trailer. It works perfect. The lantern, utensils, towels, etc.. can sit up on the shelf while the stove and cutting board, etc.. are on the main table. It looks kind of hokey, but it has worked out very well and I have used it many times. There have even been times where I was wrenching on the 4runner and set this table up to set stuff on and work on. Next time I am camping, I will take pics with the "kitchen" all set up.

gpwpat

Adventurer
Great idea. I will definatly be using this idea on my trailer. I think I will use small C clamps to anchor my shelf from. and the sheet metal will be left over from my cap since I have to buy a full sheet 10' long.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Post pics when you make your versions. gpw, great idea about the small c-clamps, I will have to give that a try, that should make it more secure than the bent ubolts I am using now. I had limited time and resources at the time and none of the hooks in the local hardware stores worked. They were all too small, or if they were big enough, they were too open and would pull right off. I think your clamps will work great.

I got this idea, because I used to rig a stretcher up in a similar way on the inside wall off my AAV for my bed when I was in the Marines. I also rigged it the same way on the outside of the AAV when we were in the desert. Most comfortable rack I slept in during my service.:arabia:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Otto Von Squiggy said:
Great job. perhaps some mobil combat bar stools are in order!:victory:

:beer: :beer: :hehe: Good idea! You can see my beer ice chest (navy surplus) that I also snagged from Gramps in those pics.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Just FYI, it will hold at least 100 pounds as it sits right now. I think with c-clamps it will hold even more since I won't have to worry about the hooks slideing off.

4 bags of 25# grout
IMG_5851.jpg

If I have anymore updates, I will just add them to my build thread rather than adding to both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles