Single battery solar questions.

reaper229

Lithium never even think about it.
Thanks for the idea,i'll keep in mind as a plan B
Not what the OP is asking for, but a 30-40AH lithium battery would be very small. Wire it directly to the alternator, and it would likely get all the charge it needs in an hour or two. No worries about getting a full charge (lithium doesn't need it) and it would only weigh 15lbs or less.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
You don't need dual batteries.
You don't need dual batteries for a single 40L fridge.

Run your setup now, find the limitations. Then figure out where to go...

A single 100Ah battery under the hood is more than adequate and is an easy mod to do for your Jeep. Sam's club makes an outstanding 100Ah Deep Cycle for $185...it has more than enough CCA to fire an engine.

Math :
Assume 50% discharge for all batteries

Single Battery
100Ah -> 50 Ah useable

Dual Battery
1 for starter @ 63 Ah -> 0 Ah useable
1 for Aux loads @63 Ah -> 31.5 Ah useable.

If you keep both batteries in parallel for 126Ah bank, you lose the 'reliability' of a dual battery setup...and you'll still need a jump pack. If both are left in parallel, youll have 63Ah of useable battery...total overkill for a Jeep and a small fridge.

Less usable Ah in isolated dual setup than a single larger battery.

A 100Ah battery at 50% has more then enough juice to fire a 3.8 or 3.6.

Spending big money on a battery is simply not worth it - would you rather have a new battery every 3 years or be out in the wilderness with a battery that is 6-8yrs or more old?

Math
Sams Club AGM 100Ah $185

Northstar 100Ah 350 depending on deals

Odyessy AGM 100Ah ~ $350 - 450 depending on model

reaper229

A single 100Ah battery under the hood is more than adequate and is an easy mod to do for your Jeep. Sam's club makes an outstanding 100Ah Deep Cycle for $185...it has more than enough CCA to fire an engine.

Math :

Single Battery
100Ah -> 50 Ah useable

Dual Battery

If you keep both batteries in parallel for 126Ah bank, you lose the 'reliability' of a dual battery setup...and you'll still need a jump pack. If both are left in parallel, youll have 63Ah of useable battery...total overkill for a Jeep and a small fridge.

Spending big money on a battery is simply not worth it - would you rather have a new battery every 3 years or be out in the wilderness with a battery that is 6-8yrs or more old?

Math
Sams Club AGM 100Ah $185

Thanks a lot for all the infos,it is very helpful my friend I will study all this.

reaper229

I sent you a PM.

Math :

Single Battery
100Ah -> 50 Ah useable

Dual Battery

Math
Sams Club AGM 100Ah $185

feltyellow

Not what the OP is asking for, but a 30-40AH lithium battery would be very small. Wire it directly to the alternator, and it would likely get all the charge it needs in an hour or two. No worries about getting a full charge (lithium doesn't need it) and it would only weigh 15lbs or less.

I just added a 40 ah lifepo4 lithium in this configuration, working well for weekend trips so far! These batteries are available cheap on ebay, etc, if you're ok with an unknown history - they're used for mobile carts in hospitals and are probably pulled from service while still pretty new (I got my valence ucharge u1-12rt for less than $100). Seems to charge fine connected in serial with my starting battery (and doesn't blow my 30amp fuses).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94