Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
With hundreds of tires issues a week they are old school at this. The people on the phones are trained to deflect the issues. Best place I've found for knowlege is the commercial trade shows or finding the local factory rep. Sometime a dealer will give it to you or the mfg will.

Yeah all I wanted was a couple minutes of time, nothing.

I never said a word about warranty..... They offered that themselves.

I do know a guy in Bend who uses all Toyo’s on his logging fleet. I will check and see if he has a rep that could help.

Thanks, I just want to have a quick chat with someone familiar with the tires.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
I can only SWAG that it’s heat +flex that caused it, and that seems to point to under inflated. But really it’sa head scratcher

did the tread wear pattern show anything that could help diagnose?

java

Expedition Leader
I can only SWAG that it’s heat +flex that caused it, and that seems to point to under inflated. But really it’sa head scratcher

did the tread wear pattern show anything that could help diagnose?
Tread wear is totally normal on the rears

java

Expedition Leader
K its broken down. That was a chore. Insert isn't gonna come out.... I don't think... Plenty of run flat lube (grease....)

So this is as much as its pinching the beads, that is bolt on half popped up after bolts broken loose.
Not much
49964465468_e871081446_h.jpg

Odd bolts? Locking of some sort?

49964465478_51d3c55dc9_h.jpg

Beads were really stuck onto the wheel. Took a 3lb sledge to break the ring loose.

Lifted right off once unstuck from the tire.

49964967206_921599176d_h.jpg

Insert and bead. Insert is exactly 1"

49965248247_57f5d5fdb9_h.jpg

49964465043_2c76ece16f_h.jpg

Crack in the bead is about 1.5" up. Not really looking like its right at the interface between the ring and tire.

49964966541_8f752ddb31_h.jpg

Big runflat insert. Its HEAVY. And so much grease....

49964458233_89344e6aab_h.jpg

Part number
49964959851_7b64a2c928_h.jpg

Definitely wont fit out easy!

49964460308_e71145a579_h.jpg

This is a bit of wear kinda inside the bead area. Both side. Road grime? You can see the bead profile also, looks normal ish?

49964967296_0bcb7e42e4_h.jpg

Look like a normal 19.5 bead??
49964497133_33248e8e13_h.jpg

Standard 19.5 Aloca FWIW
74638d1501890824-22-5-tires-22s-alcoa245003.jpg

there is is.... Thoughts?

Last edited:

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Only thought is that the wear seems excessive, and maybe is an indicator of the tire constantly flexing over the edge where the road grime collects (?).

racer3822

Observer
Wow!!! Got so lucky by finding that before it went catestrophic failure!

My vote is just the age of the rubber and probably not the best manufactured tire of the lot. I'm a little weird about tires and really have a hard time with anything over 5 years old.

Oh, and if you want to get that insert out strap the tire to a pole or stationary object of some sort all around the tire but not the insert. Then tie a strap to the insert and pull it out. Thats the only way I've been able to extract them on my own without cutting them.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Looks like sidewalk flex caused by under inflation to me.

Also if you get a really good ratchet strap around the run flat and squeeze it into a figure 8 you can get them out of the tire. Be bloody careful and make sure you use a really high quality strap because you will need to use a cheater bar to get it tight enough.

Once again be very very careful as it stores a lot of energy when it is squeezed up.

java

Expedition Leader
That sounds like a really good way to lose some teeth. I might try it though, I want to see if there's signs of under-inflation on the inside of the carcass.

Did anyone have opinions on what the bead area looks like? It looks very very similar to me. I'm wondering if I can run the tires without the insert

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Under inflation is easily gauged by the sidewall height. As far as inflation pressures go, using a linear extrapolation is perfectly acceptable. In fact, since you have runflat inserts, the linear method may actually be a bit high. I may have missed it, but were these used tires? If so previous abuse comes into play as a source of the failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne