Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

patoz

Expedition Leader
It looks good, just not long enough for me! ?

For a step stool, I would highly recommend the Little Giant, 3 step, Aluminum, 2-1/4 Feet, 300 lb. Capacity Stepladder. It comes in a two, three, or four step version. Bevan (Oz) turned me on to these, and I bought the three step version. These steps are solid as a rock, with no bounce or side to side movement at all.

1524763583941.png

The steps are 14" wide, 9" deep. Top step is 26-1/2" from floor.
The hand rail height is 24 inches above the top step.
The base is 32 5/8” when spread, but with the two wheels for moving included, almost 34 ¼”.
Completely folded, the 3 step ladder is 42-1/4" tall by 21-1/2" wide by 5" deep.

I'm 6'1", and I can stand on the second step and reach the scene lights on the side of my rig. The top step would put my head even with the lights. If you need height specs on the other models, let me know.

java

Expedition Leader
It looks good, just not long enough for me! ?

For a step stool, I would highly recommend the Little Giant, 3 step, Aluminum, 2-1/4 Feet, 300 lb. Capacity Stepladder. It comes in a two, three, or four step version. Bevan (Oz) turned me on to these, and I bought the three step version. These steps are solid as a rock, with no bounce or side to side movement at all.

View attachment 445310

The steps are 14" wide, 9" deep. Top step is 26-1/2" from floor.
The hand rail height is 24 inches above the top step.
The base is 32 5/8” when spread, but with the two wheels for moving included, almost 34 ¼”.
Completely folded, the 3 step ladder is 42-1/4" tall by 21-1/2" wide by 5" deep.

I'm 6'1", and I can stand on the second step and reach the scene lights on the side of my rig. The top step would put my head even with the lights. If you need height specs on the other models, let me know.

I looked at those as an entry step now that you mention it. I need to figure out how tall I really need.....

One of these style might be enough.

71GbglE3eFL._SY355_.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I find I'm using mine not only for the camper, but around the house also. I especially like the flip-up hand rail for balance and it also has a small tool tray molded into it. Handy for those nuts, bolt, and screws that would otherwise get dropped and lost.

I thought the legs on those awnings dropped after the canopy was deployed, or is that not one of those self supporting models?

java

Expedition Leader
I find I'm using mine not only for the camper, but around the house also. I especially like the flip-up hand rail for balance and it also has a small tool tray molded into it. Handy for those nuts, bolt, and screws that would otherwise get dropped and lost.

I thought the legs on those awnings dropped after the canopy was deployed, or is that not one of those self supporting models?
Yes they drop once its been cranked out, but you have to be able to reach them to get them out :D

I know what you mean on the alu step ladders, but I am looking for compact and light. I was not planning on carrying one.

patoz

Expedition Leader
The awning looks good!

Can the legs be extended or retracted to change the awning angle? Also, is one leg mounted higher than the other, or is that just the camera angle?

java

Expedition Leader
The awning looks good!

Can the legs be extended or retracted to change the awning angle? Also, is one leg mounted higher than the other, or is that just the camera angle?

Yes they can be adjusted a little bit, major angle adjustment requires changes to the Head rail, I will likely angle it a little more, the door clears by a couple inches so I will go to just barely clearing.

Just the picture angle, unless my tape measure is way off :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
I was thinking of being able to change the angle on the fly in case of bad weather, or to block more sunlight, etc.

I like that style of awning, because the legs disappear when it's rolled up. Most of the older style RV awnings like the Carefree, have the legs folded flat against the side of the body, which would block my compartment doors unless I could get them mounted right on the very corners.

I don't have room between my lights and rain gutter to mount one like that, so it would have to go above which I'm trying to avoid. But, I may be able to work it into a rack system somehow.

BTW, who makes the one you have?

java

Expedition Leader
I was thinking of being able to change the angle on the fly in case of bad weather, or to block more sunlight, etc.

I like that style of awning, because the legs disappear when it's rolled up. Most of the older style RV awnings like the Carefree, have the legs folded flat against the side of the body, which would block my compartment doors unless I could get them mounted right on the very corners.

I don't have room between my lights and rain gutter to mount one like that, so it would have to go above which I'm trying to avoid. But, I may be able to work it into a rack system somehow.

BTW, who makes the one you have?

Yeah agreed on the angle, this one you can't change too much tho. It's a Carefree Freedom. I ran into the same issue with the vertical legs on mine.

java

Expedition Leader
Left early Friday and got Some Climbing in before the rain came in.... Rolled into camp right at sunset.
03786ed033d14d14b80807b5ae2ce30a.jpg
1ba078cd7e6e4384a3c5c841ffde5e6b.jpg
a3e69759d45a79aa69730c1d000bd8e9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior