Slee Part time 4wd kit for LC100/LX470

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey guys, my 2000 LX470 gets about 13mpg as a daily driver and while looking around at all the great stuff on the Slee website, ran across their kit that coverts the drive train to 2wd.

Pros (I think of off the top of my head)

Better MPGs ? Less stuff is spinning
Less wear on driveline components

Cons

Loss of ABS (from what I have read)

What else am I missing? I'm amazed more people are running this. I can only find 1 thread about it on MUD and most of the guys there are very against it.

bluesquirrel

I just purchased a 100 series '98, and will be doing this mod. For the same reasons; MPG, and wear & tear. Plus I need to get the 2 pinion differential out, and this mod will allow me to still drive the vehicle with the front differential out. I'm surprised I can not find much info about this, in this forum.
I'm not a full time AWD fan.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I just purchased a 100 series '98, and will be doing this mod. For the same reasons; MPG, and wear & tear. Plus I need to get the 2 pinion differential out, and this mod will allow me to still drive the vehicle with the front differential out. I'm surprised I can not find much info about this, in this forum.
I'm not a full time AWD fan.

Dont expect a MPG increase

You do not need this mod to drive with one driveline, lock your center diff and pull the fuse. When you pull the 3rd you will also need to remove the drive plates/axles. Your challenge will be keeping the dirt out of the front bearing while you drive.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, my 2000 LX470 gets about 13mpg as a daily driver and while looking around at all the great stuff on the Slee website, ran across their kit that coverts the drive train to 2wd.

Cons

What else am I missing? I'm amazed more people are running this. I can only find 1 thread about it on MUD and most of the guys there are very against it.

No loss of ABS on a LX470 or 100 series

AVM Hubs are of a weak design

Again dont expect any huge MPG increase

If you live in snow country I would not do it and loose ATrac

Nesquik

Observer
Hello

13 MPG isn't good
A substantial increase to 14 MPG still isn't good

I'm not sure what the kit costs but a early to mid 90s Honda runs $1500 and gets 30 MPG, also keeps the miles off of your baby; which of course will still be available For your commute whenever you desire

That Honda will also still be worth $1500 in a few years as it's already fully depreciated

Something to consider

bluesquirrel

I've got a beater truck that gets 20 MPG, which is DD.
I'm comfortable with the mod for more than just the MPG and reduced wear & tear. Plus it's my truck.
I'm curious what ppl who have done the mod on the 100 think.

MTSN

Explorer

Cons

I would say another con is that it's changing the fundamental operation of the way the Land Cruiser was designed to operate. IMO it's unwise to challenge the engineering that went into these vehicles unless there is a significant and glaring shortcoming in the design of something. "Less wear on the driveline and fewer spinning parts" should not be much of a consideration when you see these trucks piling on half a million miles and more fairly easily obviously without this mod. I really can't think of any decent reason to do this mod because you're in all likelihood reducing durability, increasing complexity and gaining maybe 1mpg in the process? Spend your money elsewhere where you actually see a gain like tires or locker(s) if you don't have them already. I'd also say be cautious if you research a mod and most people are against it because there's likely a good reason for it. Toyota and more specifically Land Cruiser guys are pretty obsessive and well researched when it comes to their vehicles, so if you come across something the majority disapprove of it's wise to heed their advice.

bluesquirrel

I've yet to see any negative opinions about the mod from people who have done it, and drive it.
The idea that it's unwise to challenge a manufacturer's engineering, doesn't hold much weight for me. They do plenty of things that can be made better.

tacollie

Glamper
Did you call Slee and ask them? I say this because I called them about doing it to an 80 series and they didn't recommend it for our goals which were improved mpgs and less wear and tear on parts.

bluesquirrel

I'll call them and ask. I think I will also hit up the manufacturers, and get their honest take on it.

I'm likely going to install the kit, unless I can find systemic reports from users, that it grenades. It would be great to hear from a person who uses it regularly on a 100 series... Maybe that's too much to ask in here

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Not sure if any of you noticed, but the original post is 8 months old with no replies until yesterday. If the OP is still following this thread, see below:

It says right in your sig "Instead of spending more $$ on Mods, spend it on gas!"

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'll call them and ask. I think I will also hit up the manufacturers, and get their honest take on it.

I'm likely going to install the kit, unless I can find systemic reports from users, that it grenades. It would be great to hear from a person who uses it regularly on a 100 series... Maybe that's too much to ask in here

You said it a few posts back... "It's YOUR truck". You have apparently heard from people both here and on 'Mud that say it isn't worth the miniscule gains in fuel "economy" or to lower the wear rate on front end components. You've also heard from somebody who was told by Slee themselves that it's not worth buying a kit they put together and sell, for those reasons. Yet you seem to think it's wrong for anybody to not see it the way you do, to a point of coming across as angry with us in the last line of the post I quoted.

Call Slee and talk to them about their product, and maybe PM the one or two guys on mud who have bothered to do this and get their firsthand view of it. If my math is correct (I haven't had my morning coffee yet, so it could be off) at today's fuel prices ($2.50/gallon), it would take you close to 50,000 miles to pay off the cost of this kit at a 1 mpg gain.

spressomon

Expedition Leader

There's a reason. More than one have been listed above from very experienced 100-Series users.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey Y'all. I decided against it. Lots of $$ spent for what seems to be a moot issue. Front drive train parts aren't wearing out very quickly at least on my truck.

Whoever decided to do it, good luck!!

MTSN

Explorer
I've yet to see any negative opinions about the mod from people who have done it, and drive it.
The idea that it's unwise to challenge a manufacturer's engineering, doesn't hold much weight for me. They do plenty of things that can be made better.

Ya you're right. Toyota really doesn't know what they're doing with the Land Cruiser :ylsmoke:

You don't see many people running it because the money is better spent on things like tires, sliders, skids, etc. The only material gain I see from running it is if it would allow you drive in 2 wheel drive if you grenaded your front diff or axle and could unlock the front hubs and deal with it when you get home. I still think you'd be better served putting the money from the part time kit towards an ARB front locker which basically solves the issue plus gives you better traction on demand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier