Sleeping Bag Covers

Luke

Observer
Can anyone suggest a quality sleeping bag cover? I currently am using my Army issue Gore-Tex bivy sack and really like it. It keeps you dry in wet weather, and is heavy duty so I'm not worried about it ripping or otherwise. I'm wondering if I should keep it when it comes time to turn in my equipment or if I should be looking for another one?

RobinP

Observer
I've had an MEC overbag for about 10 years now, and used it periodically, particuarly for snowcaving, where the environment is extremely damp (proper snow caves hover around freezing temperature, they're not that cold). It has worked to keep the down in the sleeping bag dry, and my toes extra warm!

It ads about 5-1o Deg C of rating to a bag. It has a thin layer of insulation, and mine used Gore Dryloft, which may be replaced by another water resistant product now, not sure. Here's the link to the latest version.

The overbag leaves a layer of air between the main bag and the insulation in the overbag. The insulation ads a bit of warmth, and then of course the shell makes it harder for moisture to enter, and it also makes it a bit harder to breath. That's why they used Dryloft rather than a membrane, the membrane is that much MORE harder to breath, and then you end up with the system sweating on itself.

The other good thing is that the sythetic insulation on the overbag has a small capacity to retain moisture, a bit like a wick, so the the moisture produced while sleaping, and the moisture that condenses is tended towards the outside of the bag.

MEC in Canada is like REI in the states - I don't know if there is a comparable product.

Hope this helps

Moody

Needs to get out more
Outdoor Research makes a variety of extremely nice bivies. I had the advanced version with two hoops to keep it off my face, but it was stolen from me...
I am currently looking at Black Diamond Equipment's bivies, as they are a local company, and EVERYTHING I have gotten from them has been very well made.

My winter bag has the gore dryloft shell, and it is quite amazing what it can do as far as keeping water out, and the seams are not sealed.

On the more basic end, Mountain Hardwear makes a decent setup, for under 100 dollars IIRC.

Luke

Observer
With all of these, how do you feel the durability is? With my Army issue one I have dragged it across rocks and all sorts of stuff and it's no worse for the wear. Another thing I like about mine is it's woodland camo and not some fruity color. I like to blend in with nature, not stick out like a sore thumb.

RobinP

Observer
Luke said:
With all of these, how do you feel the durability is?

Sounds like yours is pretty tough. Mine is reinforced nylon, like a tent fly. Not like a tent floor. It's tough, designed for the elements, but not sure I'd purposely drag it around.

It's also very fruity coloured...

Bighead

Adventurer
Luke said:
With all of these, how do you feel the durability is? With my Army issue one I have dragged it across rocks and all sorts of stuff and it's no worse for the wear. Another thing I like about mine is it's woodland camo and not some fruity color. I like to blend in with nature, not stick out like a sore thumb.

The Outdoor Research (OR) ones are the closest to the Mil issue I've seen but it is still not as thick. I have an OR one that is Forest Green on the top side and black on the bottom. I used the OR one in OEF because it packed smaller than the Mil issue one...no rips or tears during a lot of time in hide sites.

Luke

Observer
Excellent, that's just the info I was looking for. I'm in OEF right now so I know how equipment really takes a beating out here. Thanks!

Bighead said:
The Outdoor Research (OR) ones are the closest to the Mil issue I've seen but it is still not as thick. I have an OR one that is Forest Green on the top side and black on the bottom. I used the OR one in OEF because it packed smaller than the Mil issue one...no rips or tears during a lot of time in hide sites.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I have an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy also. I've used it at the beach to snow on the side of a mountain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94