Sleeping Upstairs.....again

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
An impact or rollover would be my greatest concern with fuel on the side. Having the water there makes sense functionally.

I like that Impi tent, especially the fabric. Looks easy to access with your rear ladder too.

How would you like to carry extra/additional fuel?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The side racks are very useful, especial when you have height limitation (garage door) and cannot use a roof rack, or when the roof rack is fully occupied by a full size roof tent.

BTW the rear view mirrors are sticking out further than any of the side rack stuff. When I started to use these first with a standard Jerry cans attached, I placed DOT type red reflectors on the can holders.

Karl

Do you still sell that jerry-can style side rack Karl?

zimm

Expedition Leader
How would you like to carry extra/additional fuel?

for me...

old series 11a jerry can front bumpers = bad. recent pic of my truck proves that.

rear swing out bumper = good. above most rigs bumper line, and mild roll over proof.

i hate the shepard inside method. i just dont like having fuel inside the cab that isnt under a permanently fastened shield. im not a big fan of my fj's location, but its there. im not looking to be a buddhist protester.

the side one is cool, but id hate to flop on it, or tear it off on a tight trail. if i used one im sure id skip the velcro and bolt it thru the body. im not adverse to drilling if it serves a purpose

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
for me...

the side one is cool, but id hate to flop on it, or tear it off on a tight trail. if i used one im sure id skip the velcro and bolt it thru the body. im not adverse to drilling if it serves a purpose

Good points Zimm,

The Utility Side Rack - the user has to figure out what to attached to it - has been used for over 40,000 miles together with the fuel cans in the nicest but also in the toughest offroad environment you can think of.

The velcro is actually a non issue IHO - it only keeps the rack from swinging out in very fast tight turns, counters the centrifugal forces.

The whole truck including the fuel cans has been scratched, poked at and or scraped along without any noticeable movement of the side rack or its 2x 6" Velcro strips.

As far as I remember, there was not an asphalt road to the lagoon in the picture but lots of nasty branches.....:sombrero:

5349859.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94