Sleeping Upstairs.....again

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
IMHO.....

Getting out of Dodge and be camping in the Outdoors under the stars is already priceless.

The rest is just for the MasterCard......

The ClamShell type tent:

Good aerodynamics, very easy & fast set-up, can leave most of your bedding inside when closed, a better foul weather tent, very cozy & comfy & warm.
Doesn't look as nice when opened, a bit narrow (Hannibal Impi) inside - foot well - width - length, not a good daytime hang out.

The Folding "Canvas" tent:

Nice large & airy tent interior, plenty of room for your feet, a better fair & hot weather tent, nice to hang out in there, lighter overall weight.
A bit more complex to unfold and stow-away, aerodynamics like another brick or Mack truck, need to remove bedding (ours at least), cover will deteriorate over time.

In the end we do like to use either of the tents, the larger Hannibal 1.4m tent is mounted to our Adventure trailer while the hard shell one is roof mounted with its own dedicated tent carrier.
I'm able to change roof rack quickly depending on the exposition venue or our need for the Overland adventures.

5143382.jpg

I'm not depending on roof rack storage for obvious reasons - using the side utility racks or the new self-supporting exterior water/fuel tanks. They will be available in a 10 & 15 Gallon size.

5143381.jpg

Having a nice 15 Gallon added fuel reserve increases the endurance range even in Guzzler-500 noticeable.

http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/index_files/Page1261.htm

for more info on the roof & utility racks as well on the all aluminum expedition tanks, please contact me at:

karl@G-wagenaccessories.com

zimm

Expedition Leader
i see how the load is supported by the oversized massive gutters.... but do you drill the rubber molding on the bottom?

for the side utility racks that is...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
IMHO.....

Getting out of Dodge and be camping in the Outdoors under the stars is already priceless.

The rest is just for the MasterCard......

The ClamShell type tent:

Good aerodynamics, very easy & fast set-up, can leave most of your bedding inside when closed, a better foul weather tent, very cozy & comfy & warm.
Doesn't look as nice when opened, a bit narrow (Hannibal Impi) inside - foot well - width - length, not a good daytime hang out.

The Folding "Canvas" tent:

Nice large & airy tent interior, plenty of room for your feet, a better fair & hot weather tent, nice to hang out in there, lighter overall weight.
A bit more complex to unfold and stow-away, aerodynamics like another brick or Mack truck, need to remove bedding (ours at least), cover will deteriorate over time.

In the end we do like to use either of the tents, the larger Hannibal 1.4m tent is mounted to our Adventure trailer while the hard shell one is roof mounted with its own dedicated tent carrier.
I'm able to change roof rack quickly depending on the exposition venue or our need for the Overland adventures.

5143382.jpg

I'm not depending on roof rack storage for obvious reasons - using the side utility racks or the new self-supporting exterior water/fuel tanks. They will be available in a 10 & 15 Gallon size.

5143381.jpg

Having a nice 15 Gallon added fuel reserve increases the endurance range even in Guzzler-500 noticeable.

http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/index_files/Page1261.htm

for more info on the roof & utility racks as well on the all aluminum expedition tanks, please contact me at:

karl@G-wagenaccessories.com

Thanks for the info Karl. Sounds like the clamshell would be better for me up here in the rainier PNW.

For all of our info on this forum, the "holed, w/ MB star" are the side utility racks, and the black diamond plate units are the fuel/water tank racks?
Now the red ExpeditionOne Geri's are 4gal or 5gal? I thought I saw them say 5gal on your rig at G-Treffen but ExpOne's site says only 4gal. :(

And more info you can pass on these please?; "all aluminum expedition tanks"

TIA for your expertise!

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I just came back home from a little 650 mile daytrip into the Baja California to test the Expedition Tank on a Baja typical dirt road down to the rugged Pacific Coast.....

The Baja Side Utility Rack is a flat aluminum rack, held and clamped to the G-wagen's manly rain gutter. Designed for the G-wagen owner to outfit the rack to their individual needs. The first prototype was actually fastened through the side body molding using stainless steel screws. You can see the four mounting holes on the very bottom of the rack - location & spacing taken off the W460 molding.

For over 6000 miles now, on the best and worst Baja off-road trails, I have tested the Baja Utility Rack with its new lower mounting system - commercial Velcro strips (6" long) on the side molding to hold the loaded rack to the body.
Just perfect! Regardless if just with the tools mounted to it or the full two 4 Gallons each fuel containers.

The Expedition Tank is an all aluminum heavy duty external 10 or 15 Gallon capacity tank (fuel or water) which has the proven upper rain gutter mount incorporated into the tank design - so to speak a 'stand (hang)-alone' exterior tank - no additional rack needed. The tank also features the lower, to the side molding, Velcro mountings.

5151186.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well, I just came back home from a little 650 mile daytrip into the Baja California to test the Expedition Tank on a Baja typical dirt road down to the rugged Pacific Coast.....

The Baja Side Utility Rack is a flat aluminum rack, held and clamped to the G-wagen's manly rain gutter. Designed for the G-wagen owner to outfit the rack to their individual needs. The first prototype was actually fastened through the side body molding using stainless steel screws. You can see the four mounting holes on the very bottom of the rack - location & spacing taken off the W460 molding.

For over 6000 miles now, on the best and worst Baja off-road trails, I have tested the Baja Utility Rack with its new lower mounting system - commercial Velcro strips (6" long) on the side molding to hold the loaded rack to the body.
Just perfect! Regardless if just with the tools mounted to it or the full two 4 Gallons each fuel containers.

The Expedition Tank is an all aluminum heavy duty external 10 or 15 Gallon capacity tank (fuel or water) which has the proven upper rain gutter mount incorporated into the tank design - so to speak a 'stand (hang)-alone' exterior tank - no additional rack needed. The tank also features the lower, to the side molding, Velcro mountings.

5151186.jpg

Oh, I gotcha now Karl. The side shot helped me understand that the diamond plate unit is the water/fuel tank. Very cool!! What are these made of? Steel? Alum? I dig the spigot at the bottom.

I assume no banging of the rack or tank, even with the velcro attachment?

wannaby

Adventurer
So do ya just stand up and take a pee off the side of the roof....dont know bout you guys but I got a weak bladder and would be up and down that thing at least three times during the night.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So do ya just stand up and take a pee off the side of the roof....dont know bout you guys but I got a weak bladder and would be up and down that thing at least three times during the night.

thats one way, or you can just sacrifice a nalgene bottle that is dedicated to the "task at hand".

:D

If you get something very tight sealing, it won't be an issue. There's more than enough space in a RTT to kneel and relax...

zimm

Expedition Leader

you should get that checked out.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
The side rack looks useful, but I know our local authorities would have a fit if I mounted external loads to the side of the vehicle.

(And wannaby, man, seriously have that checked out. It could be the sign that some body "maintenance" is needed. Better sooner than later.)

zimm

Expedition Leader
The side rack looks useful, but I know our local authorities would have a fit if I mounted external loads to the side of the vehicle.

(And wannaby, man, seriously have that checked out. It could be the sign that some body "maintenance" is needed. Better sooner than later.)

the glaziers i deal with have vans with side racks... talk about an external side load. i wonder what that law hopes to achieve.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Karl...when will this tank be available!?

John,

the side mounted tank as a water tank has proven itself to be very useful during my last adventures.

The tank is available in the 10 or 15 Gallon size and will fit either on the right or left side of the truck, but built as a special product to order.

Remember, the G-wagen is easily "debriefed" as the tank is just clamped to the rain gutter and held firmly against the body molding with two strips of velcro.

Karl

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor

The side racks are very useful, especial when you have height limitation (garage door) and cannot use a roof rack, or when the roof rack is fully occupied by a full size roof tent.

BTW the rear view mirrors are sticking out further than any of the side rack stuff. When I started to use these first with a standard Jerry cans attached, I placed DOT type red reflectors on the can holders.

Karl

Attachments

• IMG_0433 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0433 (Medium).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 106

zimm

Expedition Leader
i wonder how well a fully laden side rack will handle an impact. launching a fuel can wouldnt be good.

Scott Brady

Founder
An impact or rollover would be my greatest concern with fuel on the side. Having the water there makes sense functionally.

I like that Impi tent, especially the fabric. Looks easy to access with your rear ladder too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior