Small Garage, Big Project

Sikocycles

Adventurer
Do you have the sketch-up drawing of the frame you can share? That is pretty close to what I am thinking of my frame and would help alot.

henryC

Tom Foolery: I realize since this is an old thread, you may not still keep up with it, but just in case. Just wondering...in some of your last comments, it seemed you felt the ride of the trailer was fairly soft, even with the spring-assisted shocks. Would you have gone with a different spring than the JY based on what you learned?

Anyone: Does anyone have a suggestion for a leaf spring with somewhat comparable dimensions to the JY that might offer a somewhat more "stiff" ride?

Thanks for any replies...I really enjoyed this build!

Lmg

Tom Foolery: I realize since this is an old thread, you may not still keep up with it, but just in case. Just wondering...in some of your last comments, it seemed you felt the ride of the trailer was fairly soft, even with the spring-assisted shocks. Would you have gone with a different spring than the JY based on what you learned?

Anyone: Does anyone have a suggestion for a leaf spring with somewhat comparable dimensions to the JY that might offer a somewhat more "stiff" ride?

Thanks for any replies...I really enjoyed this build!

OME has 2 different springs for the YJ. At. Least the heavier spring is fairly soft. However they also have a supplemental leaf which may stiffen it up. Spring rates and all are in their application guide.

JD Spain

Update on this build

I ended up purchasing this build - The "softness" was brought to my attention @ purchase....BUT I have had this trailer in several technical back roads here in Idaho... IT PERFORMS! On the roadway smooth as silk, in the hills balance is awesome, overall build is awesome!!! Hope this helps!

henryC

Thanks again Lmg...I did find it, but it was buried!

VERY glad you responded JD...and I'm glad to hear the trailer is working great for you. I've wanted to build a trailer for a while and now that we've purchased a 4-Wheel Camper, I decided to make it happen. When I stumbled on Tom Foolery's build on here I knew I wanted something like it. I showed it to my nephew who works in a phenomenal machine shop and he agreed to build a "version" of it. It's really coming along good. The frame and suspension are almost identical, just a little longer. We just installed the YJ springs and it does seem awfully soft. We just got the coil-over shocks in, so I'm hoping it'll stiffen up a bit. I think it'll work fine for what I want, but even though it's not complete, I've just never had a trailer that "feels" like this one.

Thanks much....

nathan949374

My next step was to get my fenders going. Originally I bought a set of jeep styled fenders which were about 10" wide. After fitting them in with the way my trailer was turning out, I felt that the look wasn't right. So I contacted a friend that owed my a favor, and he had my fenders bent. I am really glad I did, because they brought the whole package together perfectly. The fenders are made out of 14 gauge steel. I decided to weld a back side on so I could mount them to the main box along with the side steps.

TrailerProject201046.jpg

TrailerProject201047.jpg

TrailerProject201048.jpg

TrailerProject201049.jpg

TrailerProject201050.jpg

TrailerProject201051.jpg

TrailerProject201052.jpg

On the fenders what is the angle on the downward section?

old_man

Adventurer
Forgot your geometry? All the dimensions you need are there. The angle is 28.6 degrees from vertical. The bend angle is 61.4 degrees.

Last edited:

Gmanpaint

Love the build, and you helped me with the side boxes, and doors, with your detailed posts!

Did you ever add Aux batteries to it? Slide outs for Fridge/cooking, etc...?

I like the welded chain mounts inside for straps. I might add some of those in the main box, and the side boxes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior