Smallest four-wheeled expedition vehicle?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
My friend in Japan just shared a new concept from Suzuki being revealed there: the Hustler. It's a combination of micro-car and utility vehicle.

images

Yeah, I totally wish I could get one of these. I also totally dig the XLANDER

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2013/10/suzuki-concept-vehicles-from-43rd-tokyo.html

Andy

cascade.king

It's one thing to be a tiny 4x4.. It's an entirely different thing to be the smallest "real" Expedition Vehicle.

utujy7uv.jpg

y5avedu7.jpg

egemyby8.jpg

(Photos from "10000 Miles Through Arabia" - Ernst Wiese)

Tappet

Observer
Great thread. Brings back some good memories.

Had a Susuk LJ50 Van and then L80 rag top and doors when I was a young guy. Can't even remember the the LJ20, if indeed it was even sold in this country. The 50 had the big block, 550cc 2 stroke:) Amazing vehicles would go places a LandCruiser wouldn't even look at. You just didn't want to do a trip in one. At one stage had the 80 on A frame which we towed behind my mates Toyota BJ40 with camping gear and stowed in 80 and dogs in the back of the 40. It made quite a formidable 8 wheel drive vehicle when the going got really tough.

I ruined the 50 by transplanting a hotted up Corolla 5K engine and gearbox in it. It was stupidly fast for what it was but lacked the off road ability of the 2 stroke lightness.

Now I'm going to have find the old photo albums and scan the pics to post.

eatthepeach

Observer
There's a very entertaining five-part 1980's video of the history of the Jimny on YouTube, starting with the HopeStar ON360: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKOWZaBljKA . Sorry if it's been posted before or is old hat. If anyone has a better quality copy and wouldn't mind sharing it I'd be happy to help with the legwork of the transfer (or ripping) and uploading.

Last edited:

dasmule

I love the Niva! Such a capability in a small package. I was looking to import one, but read (on several forums) the chances of getting a newer model imported into the US are pretty low due to EPA emissions requirements and DOT safety. Closest thing to the NIVA (as far as form factor goes) in the US would be a Subaru Justy AWD. I doubt the Justy would touch the Niva as far as off road performance goes though.

ChazXJ

Desert Crawler
Jeep is supposed to be announcing a tiny new addition to the lineup. No real details yet but it shares the fiat 500L platform

Rendering from spy shots by AutoExpress:

5uheteze.jpg

Last edited:

stevec

Adventurer
Another vote for the Suzuki LJ's (the original Jimny):sombrero:

That is awesome, you can park two in one parking space.

We actually parked six of them using two parking spaces at one of the LJ meets in South Dakota a few years ago (the parking lot was actually pretty full when we arrived):

Black Hills Parking.jpg

sigo

71 posts and no mention of my favorite small four wheeled expedition vehicle. How about a flat fender Willys; MB, GPW, CJ2A, CJ3A, MC, or CJ3B?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles