Smartphone Bore Scope Reccommendations

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I’m thinking of buying a bore scope to use with my iPhone, for mostly automotive repair use. There’s a wide range of options and sources, just on Amazon. Any suggestions or recommendations for one over another? I’d like one with a direct straight on light and camera, as well as a right angle view and camera (the right angle is very handy to see valves in a cylinder head through the spark plug hole).

Opinions welcome.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
No issues with its length, it coils up and I think I even put some velcro around it which gives it a nice handle of sorts. Mirror works good. Have to keep it absolutely clean and free of debris/dust.

It seemed as I was researching them, the choices for iOS were greatly fewer and less quality than Android/Google platforms. So if you are a Samsung/Android user, dip deeper than my recommendation.

Focus distance needs to be suitable for your usage - which based on your description I think you are ok.

At the end of the day, its really all about video quality. I was trying to find a bore scope - to use as a bore scope. Which means very small diameter but with a camera that is high fidelity enough to pick up very small imperfections in clean/dirty metal in extremely tight spaces.

What I realized is that there is a reason why high end borescopes are costly and its all about the image quality. I can tell you I have found a myriad of ways to use the item recommended above and for $35 or whatever it was, I've gotten my money's worth. So there's that.

Last edited:

J!m

I bought the harbor freight one a while back and it works fine. It has a function to mirror the video when using a mirror so it looks right way around when viewed.

Downside: the mirror does not fit into metric spark plug holes, and that’s why I bought it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94