SMB/Van vs. slide-in/pop-top camper

medicfernando

Adventurer
Yeah but what happens when it's freezing cold out and at 3am you need to go #2? Either have to go outside (in the freezing cold) or else go to the bathroom in the aisle next to your loving spouse and wake them up :)

I think the sportsmobile vs camper all comes down to the bathroom, pretty much. I know some people on here say they don't need or WANT a bathroom (pain in the butt, much easier to squat in the woods). Others say who needs running water when you've got a jumbo pack of baby wipes.

To each their own.

Well, we are both on a very regular morning schedule. For the occasional emergency we have a Thetford porta-potti that works quite well. Rarely ever have had to use it. You know what they say, if you can't poop in front of your partner, you should probably no travel overland for any extended period of time together.

::Squish::

Observer
Ok I know this is the SMB sub forum.
I lurk here because I like the idea of SMB.
Anyway here's what led us to choose what we did
(2000 F350 4x4 with a Bigfoot 1500 TC) Family of two adults one minor and a 50# geriatric, grumpy but in decent health border collie.

In no real order:
We live right by the ocean so pop up fabric would get moldy right quick (this applies to both the SMB and a pop up TC) it's about a constant 60% humidity marine layer here.
The counter height of the four modern SMB we've been in were too low. the TC has normal heights by way of the lower floor (non basement model)
I like the extra level of safety that the truck cab provides in case hard parts get dislodged in an accident.
Just enough room for the three of us. Thankfully we are all currently under 6' tall
Cost
Flexibility of being able to use the truck as a truck when we need a truck (we are renovating two properties at the moment)
A bathroom with a door.
Stealth is boondocking, no slides, no pop-ups, black out devices for the windows, we use this a lot when in transit.

And here's what I miss about the SMB concept:
Going deeper off road, our rig is 22 feet long and 10' tall it's not small, it's not light. The SMB would go more places then our rig
Ease of space, we live in an older home with an architectural detail that doesn't allow us to drive our current rig down our long driveway so the rig is in front of the house.
A smaller rig could easily be parked in the back.
The cool factor,
The more outdoor living factor. Our rig is comfortable enough we have found we spend more time inside it then we though we would

Ultimately the SMB plan was not going to be the full deal, it was going to be a barebones cargo van with the penthouse added
and some bits to inside including a second row and smaller windows for that second row. On a lifted 4x2 chassis with a rear locking diff (we came from a Toyota Taco Pre-runner and that set up worked really well for us)

And this would solve the low counter height (we both have kind of bum backs and being stooped over makes them much worse.)

I suspect once the little one is out of the house, we might go to a campervan, but we have a few years for that to happen yet.

wrinkledpants

How come you haven't looked at an SMB based on a Sprinter 4x4 high-roof? Full bath, normal counter height, good enough off-road, lots of storage space with the ceiling cabinets. It's what we're doing. Walk-through design, full-glass windows all around, and the weather protection to exist in hot or cold climates. Open the back doors and sliding doors to keep it really open on the inside.

I don't think we would have done an E350 with a pop-top for a few of the reasons you stated, but the Sprinter is almost too good to be true in so far as living space, openness, and the ability to stealth camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles