Smitten by Land Rover, Heart says yes Brain...ehhhhh

DVD

Adventurer
For every person that's has one go wrong, plenty have them that give no issues.

So far that has been my good fortune. I bought mine 3 yrs ago w/ 93,000 on it (05 w/ HD package). So far, so good, currently at just over 133,000mi. The vehicle had good, thorough records. I've done maintenance and had to replace a few things, but nothing terrible.
Re EAS suspension: I had a problem with one of the front air shocks - a slow leak when cornering with symptom of loud whistle, but the compressor could keep up with, so I could drive it for a week until parts arrived. I'm more comfortable wrenching on bikes than vehicles, but there are good resources online, and I did the job myself (both front airbags/shocks for under $500 in parts).

I have the older Hitachi compressor, but I did the rebuild kit (more like $40 kit when I bought it), and it's running fine.

It's easy to change fluids for differentials and transfer case (done it 3x on assumption that the initial change was the first).

The only immediate upgrades I'd suggest are 18-in wheels (if you get one with 19s on), good all-terrain tires, and that IID tool. As a computer guy, this will be right up your alley.

For your quick camping trips, the killer feature is the fold-flat rear section. You can fold the both rows of back seats completely flat, quickly and easily. The width and length accommodate a double air mattress, and you have flat, dry sleeping. With the glass roof sections and lots of side glass, it's very nice. You'd want some of those magnetic screens to keep the mosquitoes away in CA.

dsm02c

Adventurer
I have the older Hitachi compressor, but I did the rebuild kit (more like $40 kit when I bought it), and it's running fine

This is the bigger rebuild kit I have used, basically takes apart the whole compressor, I combined it with the $40 Land Rover rebuild kit to completely refurbish the compressor, the desiccant can be renewed but replacing it while servicing the rest of the unit is the easiest route to me. (Plus I don't think the wife would like me baking desiccant in her ovens)
http://www.amazon.com/DISCOVERY-HIT...&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Lr3+compressor+rebuild

zelatore

Explorer
The 'Money pit' on the LR3 is the lower control arms. They will last 80-100K miles and cost somewhere around $1200 to have them professionally replaced. Unless your used vehicle has has a documentation that they were done recently, factor that in to your price.

This is another job that's pretty easy DIY. I've done one on a buddy's rig where we just swapped in new LCAs - half a day to do both sides. On my own I changed to poly bushings - now that was a PITA just because it's difficult to get the LCA to fit in a press easily.
$1200? You can do it yourself for A LOT less than that.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
This is another job that's pretty easy DIY. I've done one on a buddy's rig where we just swapped in new LCAs - half a day to do both sides. On my own I changed to poly bushings - now that was a PITA just because it's difficult to get the LCA to fit in a press easily.
$1200? You can do it yourself for A LOT less than that.

True, I probably should've given it a shot. I just didn't want to risk getting stuck part way through the job and having no options and a blocked driveway! ;)

Eric K

Observer
I vote LR3 as well. Just bought an 06 three months ago and I have already done 3 camping trips in it and put on 10k. I did have to replace the lower control arm bushings, $300 if you do it yourself (though you will need the right tools). It's a great vehicle and you will love it.

A.J.M

Explorer
I only went genuine after i had a set of front lowers and steering inner arms wear out in 17k. The cost between pattern parts and genuine parts can be very little if you build a good relation with the parts guys in the local dealer.

The compressors can be fixed, if you can get the pipes out. Mine are seized in place. So upgrading to the LR4 AMK one is my route, as i cut the pipes which sorts out that issue. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne