Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

CSU126

Observer
In searching today again my quest for a RTT in my price range has gotten harder. It seems Smittybilt now has a XL. No annex available yet but its coming.

Smittybilt Overlander XL Roof Top Tent 2883

Coyote tan
Heavy-duty 600D rip stop polyester
Waterproof
Stainless steel hinges
Anodized aluminum frame poles
LED strip interior light
60mm high density foam mattress with removable cover
Mosquito screens
Telescoping aluminum ladder
Mounting brackets included
One year warranty
Open size 122" W x 76" L x 51" High
Load capacity is 770 lbs
Sleeps 3-4
Price 1099.00 4wheel parts ebay is listing free shipping.
I have never purchased smittybilt products so I am wondering about product quality. I like the fact that it is 76 inches wide. Anyone have direct experience with them?

tarditi

Explorer
Smittybuilt does not have a stellar reputation. If I were buying a RTT I would invest in something with a bit better of a track record, personally.

av8er50

I have one of the smaller Smittybilt RTT, only had it a couple months but have used it several times. The most recent was a 1000 mile road trip over several days with about 400 of those miles on back roads and some 4wd trails. It is mounted on a trailer and works great. I thoroughly checked it out when I got it, I have 0 complaints. But for peace of mind I got the extra 4 wheel parts 3 year warranty that replaces anything and everything. I am sure its not the quality of some of the higher end RTT's, but for the money I think its a great deal and I don't see why with proper upkeep that it wont last for many years to come. I only wish the bigger one was available when I got mine!!
Bottom line I don't regret my purchase and have been very pleased with it.

Last edited:

Kevin108

Explorer
I was sold on Tepui until finding the Smitty last year, which was almost an insta-buy. We have the smaller original version, of course. We'd wanted a RTT for years but were unsure of how much we'd actually get to use one. At the price point of the Smitty, we were finally willing to take a gamble. It's been on about 6 months, and we've got about a week worth of nights in it. It has been great! We have the Smitty awning too. My only complaint with the tent is the ladder, but I think it's starting to grow on me.

12185057_1052253218118857_1136240586574417323_o.jpg

As for those suggesting you avoid Smittybilt:

There's lots of good reasons to buy another brand. Maybe you didn't know about the Smitty. Maybe you wanted a tent in a different color. Maybe you wanted a telescoping ladder instead of sliding ladder. Maybe you wanted a tent with clear plastic roof panels. But don't be smug just because you paid twice as much as a Smitty for a comparable RTT.

If you have any concerns, Google "smittybilt tent problem" or whatever you like. I didn't find any complaints in looking through several pages of results.

There are some good reviews out there, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yCsIKvQ39w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayf6QOxThno

I don't think you'll go wrong at all with either Smitty RTT.

More info at Some more info on the new product at http://www.4wd.com/Outdoor-Lifestyl...565&t_pt=9576&t_pn=S/B2883#overview_Container

CSU126

Observer
If you can make the purchase within the next 4 days you can get a 3 person Tepui for $1080. REI has a 20% off on one item sale going on till 4/4, all you have to do is become a member... its free...

You can get it delivered free to your nearest REI also.

https://www.rei.com/product/101916/tepui-tents-kukenam-sky-3-tent

Toymaster, I am a member I am just up in the air about what I want. I have never had a RTT before. If the tepui with the ladder over hang was available thru REI I would be all over it. Sometimes the RTT would be mounted on my Mitsubishi Montero when I travel alone but when the circus comes along it would be mounted on my M1101. No matter what I buy I need an annex for a place to put the dog and the 11 year old. I read a couple reviews from previous years. Just curious if the quality has gotten better.

av8ter50, Thank you for your input. Granted if you are a helicopter pilot your opinion is null and void because you display lack of common sense. :D:D

plh

Explorer
Toymaster, I am a member I am just up in the air about what I want. I have never had a RTT before. If the tepui with the ladder over hang was available thru REI I would be all over it. Sometimes the RTT would be mounted on my Mitsubishi Montero when I travel alone but when the circus comes along it would be mounted on my M1101. No matter what I buy I need an annex for a place to put the dog and the 11 year old. I read a couple reviews from previous years. Just curious if the quality has gotten better.

av8ter50, Thank you for your input. Granted if you are a helicopter pilot your opinion is null and void because you display lack of common sense. :D:D

By far the best buy out there is the TuffStuff RTT. I've owned one (mounted on my Monteros). Includes annex and shipping for $1199, BTW as a previous RTT owner - the annex is indispensable, and I prefer the sliding ladder over the telescoping. I debated long and hard about buying another one for this summer, but bought a camper converted utility trailer instead. We'll try this for a while. I owned the RTT for 3 years and sold it last fall for $950 locally. Not too bad of depreciation.

http://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/tuff-stuff-rooftop-mounted-tent-free-annex-changing-room/

92_rtt.jpg

Last edited:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
If someone gets this Smittybilt XL RTT please do a review on it. I'm in the market for an RTT for my off-road teardrop trailer build and don't want to spend a ton of money. $1100 seems like a great price for the XL Smittybilt.

deadly99

Explorer
I have a Smitty, for a weekend warrior I find it works well...no complaints. I believe folks sometimes but too much thought into things. Its a tent, I don't need a tent thats going to survive on Mt Everest :) I suppose what I getting at is for the off weekends use, its perfectly fine. For the guy going rtw and an issue with his tent would be a disaster...I see buying the best quality as being worth the money. Just my two cents, I see lots of folks vehicles decked to the nines and they rarely leave home...maybe they cant because they spent all their money on expensive rtt's :)

Kevin108

Explorer
Don't you go bringing up your completely sensible opinions here! :D

If you have experience or have seen other brands of RTTs, here's a point of comparison with the material. The Smittybuilt tents use a 600D polyester which is basically the equivalent of the 600D poly/oxford used on Tepui rainflys. Much lighter material than the ripstop poly/cotton used on the bodies of Tepui tents as well as several other brands.

I believe the closest comparison to the Smitty, including size and features, is the Kukenam Sky. Both are listed as 600D ripstop polyester.

In fact, I can find only 3 real differences:

The Tepui has no-see-um mesh while the Smitty only has mosquito mesh.
The Tepui has a 2-year warranty while the Smitty only has a 1-year warranty.
The Tepui has a telescoping ladder while the Smitty has an extension ladder.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Don't you go bringing up your completely sensible opinions here! :D

I believe the closest comparison to the Smitty, including size and features, is the Kukenam Sky. Both are listed as 600D ripstop polyester.

In fact, I can find only 3 real differences:

The Tepui has no-see-um mesh while the Smitty only has mosquito mesh.
The Tepui has a 2-year warranty while the Smitty only has a 1-year warranty.
The Tepui has a telescoping ladder while the Smitty has an extension ladder.
You are correct....mostly. I made a mistake when I read the material on the Smittybuilt. There is still a bit of difference in that the Smittybuilt is full polyester where the Tepui is poly/cotton. But that's a good thing for Smittybuilt owners. They're closer in material type to some of these other brands standard level tents. Still a few differences, and like deadly99 said, not everyone requires something "more".
I apologize for my mistake. I removed my earlier post so as to not mislead anyone.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Thinking of taking the XL Smittybilt plunge. But I would like to wait for a 4weelparts coupon to try it out. If I could get a 20% off coupon and get free shipping to the store it would be sweet. Anyone know of any coupons coming up? Also someone was talking about an extended warrantee. Anyone have info on that?

So anyone taken the plunge yet? Tell us about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volcanic Iceberg

I'm also considering the SB overlander XL for my trailer. I've got 4 kids and this would sleep them all very well, get them off the ground, decrease my set up time. And you can't beat the price. I would really want the annex however. I couldn't find any info on one being available. Maybe the Tepui Gran sabana annex would work? - not sure how they attach.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I'm also considering the SB overlander XL for my trailer. I've got 4 kids and this would sleep them all very well, get them off the ground, decrease my set up time. And you can't beat the price. I would really want the annex however. I couldn't find any info on one being available. Maybe the Tepui Gran sabana annex would work? - not sure how they attach.

From what I understand there will be an annex released for the SB XL RTT in around 90 days or so. I wish it came with the annex like the TuffStuff RTT does. I may also take a look at those as I need the extra room below. Also worried my trailer may be a little to tall for the annex to reach the ground as I believe my trailer will be around 7ft to the roof. Anyone know how tall an annex typically is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles