Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

Sorry if this was covered, but can you leave bedding in the tent when folded? I'm thinking sheets plus 2 pillows and a decent thickness blanket. We are in AZ so not really cold but it would help. Im interested mainly to reduce setup and amount of "stuff" that has to be shuffled around and carried in the vehicle.

Sheets and blanket should be no problem, pillows are the wild card. Are they the fluffy but squishable/able to flatten out? Or the thick and firm? You can always leave the bedding up there, and shove the pillows in a stuff sack and throw in the truck bed/trunk/rear. You can always try with the pillows, and see if the tent closes okay. If you have to really work to get the tent closed enough for the cover, it's too much.

50 fiver

Mine folded fine with a 2" foam mattress topper, so I would think that it would be fine with sleeping bags/blankets. I honestly believe that I could fold it with sleeping bags in it now as well.

338Lapua

Mine folded fine with a 2" foam mattress topper, so I would think that it would be fine with sleeping bags/blankets. I honestly believe that I could fold it with sleeping bags in it now as well.
I could not get mine closed properly with a 2" topper, did you have the mattress plus the topper?
It is fine with 2 sleeping bags plus the mattress but the topper could never close right

50 fiver

I could not get mine closed properly with a 2" topper, did you have the mattress plus the topper?
It is fine with 2 sleeping bags plus the mattress but the topper could never close right
Yes, you have to make sure that everything is lying flat... the topper moved on my first attempt, and I couldn't close it well at all, but after re-opening it and straightening it out, it closed fine and I'm sure I could have left bedding up there.

TexasIsHome

We've had a RTT for 2 years now, and with roughly 10k miles in road trips with it on, including a two week trip from TX to Canada. We always pre-pack it at home with the SB mattress, a 2" topper

48284665186_67178f42ae_c.jpg

45538430072_8128e55c1c_o.jpg

44674761355_9641ffd69b_o.jpg

alecs123

hello guys, my 1st post here... been reading this thread, very useful information... I'm writing from Mexico and thinking of getting one of these tents, do you think there would be a good discount over the thanksgiving holidays? a site you would recommend? My plan is to ship it to Laredo TX (a warehouse from my company and then pick it up on my way to San Antonio).
Thanks

They may or may not be on sale, you can check through this thread to see some $$ amounts people have managed to get. I think 1299-1399 is usually where you'll see these with the annex.

hello guys, my 1st post here... been reading this thread, very useful information... I'm writing from Mexico and thinking of getting one of these tents, do you think there would be a good discount over the thanksgiving holidays? a site you would recommend? My plan is to ship it to Laredo TX (a warehouse from my company and then pick it up on my way to San Antonio).
Thanks

OneHungLo

Hi All , this is my first post here. I will be picking up my SmittyBilt tent this week , i got the smaller version as it will just be my wife , her small yorkie , and myself in this tent on the back of my tundra.
For the price , i felt this was a good choice for my first RTT. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions !

Anyone get into one of the 2nd generations of the amittybuilt xl tents? Looks like they made a lot of nice improvements

I just picked up the xl last month .Not sure if it is a second gen or not . I am very pleased with it but have not had a chance to camp in it yet (finishing the trailer .

Halligan

Adventurer
I just ordered a regular size Gen2 tent and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I have nothing to compare it to as far a quality comparison but once I get it installed I'll give you my general impressions. I've been kicking the idea of an RTT around for a couple years now and figured at the price point I'd try the Smittybilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne