Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Well this ord to be interesting.

"Ord"? You can see it by lifting and ever increasing the height of the tongue. below level, CG is forward. With every degree raised the CG moves aft, and the tongue weight decreases. Raise it high enough and the CG is aft and the trailer tongue is standing unsupported. They still taught physics when I was a kid. Not sure what your excuse is.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
"Ord"? You can see it by lifting and ever increasing the height of the tongue. below level, CG is forward. With every degree raised the CG moves aft, and the tongue weight decreases. Raise it high enough and the CG is aft and the trailer tongue is standing unsupported. They still taught physics when I was a kid. Not sure what your excuse is.

Friendly you are ….hrmmmm….
The other member said weight. Not CG. The weight over the tongue do not change with an arm length change. The moment does, which is arm times weight. The weight, which was discussed, however remains unchanged. There is a miniscule vector of the total weight that will adjust either forward or backwards, measured on the tongue. Kinda like if you tip the trailer vertical standing on the tongue on the tongue, now the whole trailer weight is now your tongue weight.
That value is more of a theoretical, than practical value as you have to raise or lower the tongue height by several feet for that to be a factor. From a practical standpoint as was discussed there are no change in weight of the tongue.

jojackc

The trailer sitting level or not does change the tongue weight. I was watching a video of a guy weighing his tongue weight. He realized the trailer wasn't sitting level so he lowered it. When he did that the tongue weight increased by almost 20lbs.

thardin68

Tongue weight is certainly an issue on this trailer, and a very valid discussion point. The trailer is clearly sold as a "base" for each person to set-up as needed for their use / style of travel. I think it is obvious that weight changes with the height of the hitch location, but lets not get too crazy about theoretical versus practical. What JoJackc stated +/- 20 lbs sounds very reasonable to me depending on the weight distribution fore / aft of axle center line.

I feel we all just need to agree these trailers are sensitive to where weight is placed. It is pretty easy to add or eliminate 20# of tongue weight by moving things around the trailer as you pack it. It's just part of the "procedure".

My feeling, however, is that if 20# of tongue weight is "make or break" on your tow rig, you have the wrong tow rig or the wrong trailer.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Tongue weight is certainly an issue on this trailer, and a very valid discussion point. The trailer is clearly sold as a "base" for each person to set-up as needed for their use / style of travel. I think it is obvious that weight changes with the height of the hitch location, but lets not get too crazy about theoretical versus practical. What JoJackc stated +/- 20 lbs sounds very reasonable to me depending on the weight distribution fore / aft of axle center line.

I feel we all just need to agree these trailers are sensitive to where weight is placed. It is pretty easy to add or eliminate 20# of tongue weight by moving things around the trailer as you pack it. It's just part of the "procedure".

My feeling, however, is that if 20# of tongue weight is "make or break" on your tow rig, you have the wrong tow rig or the wrong trailer.

Absolutely. My Scoutty went from about 380 pounds to just around 200 pounds if memory serves me correct.

yes, you can flip the rear main door to open the other way. it opens to PS so that if you do pull over and open door it doesnt open into traffic. Their first trailer they were showing has it open to the left side for overseas right hand drive markets but was changed to right side for USA and left hand drive countries.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Who had the tire carrying bumper installed? I got the bumper and my fan guy wants to look at the attachment method. If they have pix of it. I’m doing all the prep work at home to make it a shorter day for all involved.

Got the overland pro 270 awning installed. It’s looking pretty sharp!

Last stuff will be electrics and water and I’m done!

So far a few cubscout trips and a few weekend overnight trips with the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kraxler

Went on a five day trip with the trailer. Just before the trip added a Natwing awning to the driver side. And on the trip added some led strip lights to the bottom of the RTT to have some lights in the anex. Still need to work on getting the water system better. Some pics.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Crashphil

good morning, I'm a new member and just browsed through 158 pages of awesome ideas .
Here is my question if this has been answered please link the post as I may have missed it.
tow vehicle is a 2018 jku "willys" on stock suspension with 31" tires , receiver height 19"
trailer leveled sitting on 265/70/17 height 25-26", what are your recomandation for a compler and how to breach the gap in height ?
thanks.

Kraxler

Use either the max coupler or the lock and roll coupler. I use the lock and roll. I know for the latter but I believe also for the max you can get vehicle side raise or drop hitches of 2 in or 4 in rise. I use the 2 in in the up position. On the trailer side you can get the draw tube in different lengths to suit your need and desire. If you desire you could also use a hitch drop on the trailer side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles