Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

bkone

I bought one of these drop down table for my rear swing out tire carrier but was unable to mount it. I'm now planning on mounting it to the rear trailer door. Do you guys think the door can hold the weight of the table + Stove + pans if I plan to use it as a kitchen table?

Screenshot 2018-01-25 12.00.07.jpg

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I bought one of these drop down table for my rear swing out tire carrier but was unable to mount it. I'm now planning on mounting it to the rear trailer door. Do you guys think the door can hold the weight of the table + Stove + pans if I plan to use it as a kitchen table?

I wouldn't trust it. Open the rear door and push down a little on the top of it, you can see how much it'll flex. Also, notice that the latches only pull the door in and don't support it vertically, other than the friction of the gasket. So bouncing down the trail the hinges will still be taking the moment forces.

bkone

I wouldn't trust it. Open the rear door and push down a little on the top of it, you can see how much it'll flex. Also, notice that the latches only pull the door in and don't support it vertically, other than the friction of the gasket. So bouncing down the trail the hinges will still be taking the moment forces.

yep you are right, those hinges are flimsy. Will have to find some other use for it as its outside return date.

Kraxler

Was wondering about that too. The thought occurred to me that a door latch from a vehicle might work to keep the side vertically contained. Was also thinking an angled piece of metal below the door and attached to the trailer could keep the latch side from sagging. any thoughts?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Yeah, a door latch like one off of a vehicle would be a good solution. An angled piece below the door would also work. Kinda like what is used on rear bumper swingouts, there is a small piece of rubber on the bottom of the swing that has a pretty shallow taper and it slides up on a plate on the bumper when it is fully closed.
But you still have the issue with the door open. The stamped design is adequate when just being used to cover a opening, but if you want to hang any significant weight off of it, it'll need help. I had thought of adding a piece of square tubing to the inside of the trailer behind the hinges and then framing out the inside of the door with square tubing as well. This added with a stop or different latch talked about above would go a long way to making the door hold some significant weight. I would possibly go as far as framing out the top and other side on the inside of the trailer.

Kraxler

Good idea about the door open. Didn't think about that. Still might go with the Hitchgate Solo to move the spare tire and a latch or lower brace for when the door is closed.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I would be interested in more details, I was logging on tonight with the intent of asking if anyone had come up with anymore ideas for a tire carrier

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Did the Flowjet pump work being mounted horizontally like that?

I have yet to pull the power wires, but I would assume so. The only thing the manual said was that if you mount it vertically, to make sure the motor is facing upwards. I presume that is in case it leaks, the water wont short out the motor. I could off course be wrong, but having worked with those pumps in trailer and rv's before, they usually have plenty of priming power. That is off course speculation, and we shall see, as I wire the exterior/interior lights along with the pump. I will off course let you know either way.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks! I was told by the company the same same thing but would prefer your pump's orientation. I'll hold out on finalizing my layout until I hear from you.

I should have it wired by this afternoon. The pump wiring is easy, but I am tying it together with the interior/exterior lights and fridge power as well, and that slowed it down. On top of that, I finally finalized the design for the rear jacks, and that side tracked me a bit as well. Stay tuned.... :) :)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks! I was told by the company the same same thing but would prefer your pump's orientation. I'll hold out on finalizing my layout until I hear from you.

I am happy to say that the mount as I have it works beautiful. The pump primes and cycles without any problems.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I know that I keep flip flopping on my tire carrier design, but here is what I'm currently thinking.
Cut off and move the 2" tube that the stabilizer jacks slide into forward 2" and outward some. Add a tube above it in the pocket created between it and the bottom of the trailer. Add heavy 2" square tubing where the other tubing was with a spindle in it. Add a secondary hinge higher up on the box, bolted thru to a stiffiner plate on the inside of the box. Same 2" tubing on the opposite side for a pin to drop in to keep it closed. I'm debating on whether or not I need the upper hinge, but I feel like it'll make it much stouter. So far, I've got the lower spindle ordered from comp4x4. I need to stop designing and get this thing built, I'm hoping to run the Rubicon Trail this summer.
swing out.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94